Sign in to follow this  
mysterygirl

Is this fin rot? Ease my worried mind

I'm still concerned about Fire Marshall Stanley.

He's such a dear he just lets me scoop him up, mainly to inspect/photograph him and weigh him (29 grams, he's gained 4 grams in a month!)  - since he had stringy poo not long ago and went through a full antibiotic round (MediGold).

His poo is FINE now  :happydance after antibiotics and I don't want to over-analyze the situation. 

I'm concerned that he's the only Ryukin that is turning black.  Here is a photo from today. 

Stanleyweb.jpg

I bought some Melefix today just to be safe 'cause his fins look like they might have fin rot.

I have a quarantine tank at the ready, but don't want to stress him out. 

Stanleyweb1.jpg

"Mom, did I do something bad?"

Stanleyweb2.jpg

Here's my good side, stop worrying. 

I'm including a photo of him about 90 days ago, when he arrived overnight via Bluegrass Aquatics.

Stanleystats.jpg

It looks like his fin was eaten away back then too.  But that doesn't mean he still doesn't have a treatable problem. I hope this question will help others too. 

Based on this series of photos, I'm thinking that the first one does not include all of his tail because the lighting in the photo is too pale!

In the 3rd photo, his tail is all there, so perhaps the first photo makes it LOOK like fin rot, but the 3rd photo confirms that he's fine.

I sort of feel better, and don't want to waste the Moderators time on a long holiday weekend.

Maybe he once HAD fin rot and it is healing?

sigh. 

His fins look fine to me.  How curious that he has gained black.  Few fish do that.

Black is unusual, but not impossible. He looks very healthy to me and the distribution of pigment doesn't look to my eye like melanophore migration from injury or burns, which I liken to skid marks or dust in appearance - not deeper black.

Maybe QT him and see if the black issue continues in really controlled water parameters? I see zero signs of finrot, though.

I hope the black is jus colour because I think he looks really cool right now with the black face and orange eyes! Like he is wearing a mask

He is gorgeous. I don't see anything to worry about. Both Waddles my chu and Finley my fantail gained quite a bit of black after bringing them home. They are both calicos and gained more spots of black over several months. Waddles has since ont much of it. Finley is young and still gaining black. :)

I had a Ryukin gain quite a bit of black after I spoiled her for a while :)

Thanks everyone!

He was put back in the pond minutes after those photos were taken, wondering what the fuss was about.

I like the cheery idea that my "spoiling him" is causing his blackness.

I did put a bit of fresh roasted pear in the last batch of gel food.  :P 

I'll be sure to share the rest of his interesting color change with you all.