Sign in to follow this  
yogosans14

My Red Cap is BULLYING my new pearlscale...HELP!

I will post pics later, I have him removed now and I will try to put him back in the tank later. I was afraid this was going to happen since for some reason other GF like to bully and nip at Pearlscales. Well I put the little guy in the tank, and my Red cap started following it, biting it, nipping at it scales and I was hoping he would stop but he didnt and my Pearlscale looks stressed.

What should I do?Should I just try a pearlscale only tank?

If you have an aquarium for your pearlscale then I would keep him/her in their own aquarium. Let them settle for a while.

Edited by colley614

How big is the tank?  How many fish?  Décor?  Can we get a full tank shot?  Also a video of the bullying would help . . . .  Do you know the fishs' genders?

Please do not generalize that one type of goldfish likes to bully another type. This simply is not true. Other goldfish don't like to bully pearlscales in general. All interactions between goldfish are individual. Unfortunately, the two individuals in your tank aren't getting along right now.

On top of what Lisa asked, could you also please detail how you introduced the new fish into the tank?

How big is the tank?  How many fish?  Décor?  Can we get a full tank shot?  Also a video of the bullying would help . . . .  Do you know the fishs' genders?

Its a 20 long fully cycled. I will be upgrading the tank to a larger tank next week, this is just sort of quarantine tank.

I do not know the fishes gender unfortunately. It only has my red cap and pearlscale in it. There is only a little bit of rivers rocks in the middle of the tank but its mostly BB.

The pearl scale seems somewhat weak to me. Fish usually tend to pick on the weaker fish in the tank. Would you be able to post the water levels (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) from your tank and tap water please?

I wouldn't call that bullying. I'd call that getting to know each other.

I wouldn't call that bullying. I'd call that getting to know each other.

:bingo: young fish like to play :)

They look totally normal to me. That's not bullying, it's social behavior as they try to establish relations in the tank. A big water change, a switch up of the habitat and possibly introducing some tall plants and cover, and a few days? You should be just fine.

I've not seen pearls more bullied or harassed than any other goldfish. In fact, my old pearlscale Mango was the strongest fish in the tank. I currently have a demekin and two tosakin fry and the demekin is far more shy and chased more often than the tosakin, even though the tosakin are by nature delicate and clumsy swimmers. It really depends on the individual fish but plenty of cover and changing up the habitat really helps :)

I've got a red cap in my 75 gal with a blue oranda. When I first added them the red cap took over the tank. She was the boss and would nip at the other's fin, even pulling away. It started during feeding time but eventually became a frequent occurrence. Both are females so spawing behavior was out of the question. I got nervous and starting researching. What I found was that many people said their red cap, specifically, was a little more aggressive. Maybe it is due to genetics. Add with all goldfish there is inbreeding. Maybe the aggression is linked with the red cap. Who knows?

To me it looks like they just might be getting to know each other like Fantail said. Idk if the pearlscale looks "weak" but it does seem floaty to me.

I would just keep monitoring. To help my situation, I added another fish (male) to diffuse the situation. I took the red cap out for three days. Allowed the male and the blue female to stay in the main tank. When I put the red cap back she tried to regain her dominance but the male wasn't having it. Eventually everything settle but every once in a while she will get the nerve to attack both the other two. This is now usually only during feeding. It maybe happens now once a week but that's way better than the to give times a day. And, who knows what's happening while I'm gone

I see nothing resembling bullying.  The red cap appears to be trying to make friends.  The pearlscale does not look healthy.  Is this a new fish and have you quarantined it?

I have never seen another goldfish bully a pearlscale nor have I seen anyone else report this problem.  Why do you say other goldfish bully pearlscales?

I just fed them both peas and they seem to not be bothering each other anymore. My red cap will follow it in a friendly way I guess but I think he's fine with the pearlscale now.

My pearlscale doesn't look sick, I've observed him closely and he swims up to me fast when I come to the front of the tank and eat anything I give him. I think he was fed poorly, probably floating fake flood at Petco so he seems to be a little floaty, hopefully the pea helps.

The pealscale does look pretty weak, but I think that might be due to trying to fight the floatiness. \

Did you quarantine your new fish?

The pealscale does look pretty weak, but I think that might be due to trying to fight the floatiness. \

This tank is a quarantine tank

So you got both fish in that tank at the same time from the same store?

So you got both fish in that tank at the same time from the same store?

The red cap I got about a week ago and the pearlscale I got yesterday. Both from the same store.

Generally speaking you set back your qt every time you add a fish, so it is better to add them at the same time or keep the quarantines separate. That's pretty close in time but it's something to be aware of as you're doing rounds and treatment.

My pearlscale and red cap are just staying the corner of the bottom of tank not really doing much, should I be concerned?

It may be time to fill out this form . . .

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Please do fill out the form that Lisa linked so that you can make sure whatever killed the pearlie (my condolences) Doesn't kill your oranda as well.

I'm sorry it passed. It's not necessarily the type - the stress of acclimating to transport, pet stores, a new environment, and any possibly pathogens picked up along the way is high. But if it was communicable we will better catch it if you give us the data to possibly help you. More details are better :)

Even the most careful fish keeper has losses, it's just part of this hobby :grouphug

Edited by Arctic Mama