Butterfly's pond and flowers

Butterfly

• Admin
1 hour ago, Butterfly said:

Okay. My bad, I thought the Tapatalk photos didn't work with the contests. I will enter a few from now on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been a problem. but in the ones I host I can do a work around... Post away my fried :thumb: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/4/2017 at 1:53 PM, Butterfly said:

Not my pond, but betta tank.

Cherry, apple, banana... very fruity...

38795bc7c0659bfd3fc731de6afad748.jpg

Great photo for fruit punning.  hope your snail is not a regular apple snail (Ampullariidae) though, they get HUGE and do eat plants.  The sub family within the apple snail group called mystery snail ( Pomacea bridgesii ) is plant safe and stays a more manageable size.

Great photo for fruit punning.  hope your snail is not a regular apple snail (Ampullariidae) though, they get HUGE and do eat plants.  The sub family within the apple snail group called mystery snail ( Pomacea bridgesii ) is plant safe and stays a more manageable size.

I did use the word apple to make the pun. I bought it as a mystery snail, so I assume that is what it is. It does uproot my smaller plants (and eat the roots) which is annoying. Oh well.

6 minutes ago, Butterfly said:

I did use the word apple to make the pun. I bought it as a mystery snail, so I assume that is what it is. It does uproot my smaller plants (and eat the roots) which is annoying. Oh well.

Then you do not have a mystery snail, they don't eat plants or their roots.  If you want to keep it try giving it blacnhed veggies to eat instead of your plants.

Then you do not have a mystery snail, they don't eat plants or their roots.  If you want to keep it try giving it blacnhed veggies to eat instead of your plants.

Hmm... well that's annoying but makes sense. LOL, thank you. I guess that's why it does such a bad job of eating the algae off of my walls too? I wished I had gotten more nerites instead. [emoji36]

15 hours ago, Butterfly said:

Hmm... well that's annoying but makes sense. LOL, thank you. I guess that's why it does such a bad job of eating the algae off of my walls too? I wished I had gotten more nerites instead. emoji36.png

Sorry.  Yeh nerites are awesome!  I had a gsa and diatom (green spot algae and brown algae) covered cube tank, put 4 nerites in and in a week its spotless!!  Moved 2 of the nerites to otehr tanks, going to move a 3rd today.

Basically like summer today here so I got some of my tropical lilies out to get growing. I lost a few large tubers to rot. I think it was a combination of storing too moist and then just being big old tubers that weren't meant to go on.

Most did well though. They often continue to grow, just very slow while in storage. This is one I harvested last year (ignore misspelling, LOL, it's not just in this forum that I'm a bad spell checker).

9a5c6b80f8143971ea349f08cea3cd48.jpg

This little one was stored 2 years ago. Teeny tiny but alive.

e15c124c28e82816a1b57da7088863d2.jpg
066ee74aa30be7502a2a9502c2f187a5.jpg

Sometimes they even grow through the batting.
b21b59e9925abe48002aee5a7c53cf74.jpg

Fingers crossed they get a good start. They'll start off floating in a 5g bucket before I plant them up.

I think I have a leak in my pond. Very frustrating and I really dread what I'm going to have to do to figure that out soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got my lilies potted up and in. There is always some disaster and while I hoped to have larger plants by this time having started so early, I'm happy with what I have. I lost a couple that I will have to restart. I didn't have the greatest tuber harvest last year so now some of my stock is old and getting low. Oh well.

Last year I potted totally in cat litter and I didn't think the plants did quite as well, so this year I went back to dirt, with a topping of cat litter. Then I used some burlap over that, topped with some stones. Hopefully will keep my one last fish from digging in them. Last year I used coconut coir but that was a little difficult to work with. Oooo, I hope the burlap works because don't want all that dirt stirred up in my water.

And yeah, I seemed to have lost all but one of my fish last fall. I was hoping they just went into hiding before the winter hibernation but nope, they're gone. Sucks. Lost my big butterfly koi. That was a big fish. I hope it was just a big bird that got him, and they weren't stolen, which has crossed my mind too. Ugh. I'm going to get some baby oranda to restock. At least on the bright side, I have a reason to go fish shopping.

044826c6ecfa968a9b85a6e12ebe2348.jpg

87a1c6ef28bfb7a07e3adf6270756f55.jpg

71f18cbcf81b13a2e20fd792a98a230d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Admin

Dang it seems to be Bird season for ponds. :yikes

Love your pond hun. When you can give us a big tour. Im just wondering what it looks like all around :) 

7 hours ago, koko said:

Dang it seems to be Bird season for ponds. :yikes

Love your pond hun. When you can give us a big tour. Im just wondering what it looks like all around :) 

We want a tour!!!!   :thumbup2:

Thank you. I will try to do a tour later when more of the flowers are in bloom and the lilies are up.

Got some baby goldfish today to restock. 9 oranda, 6 black moor and 5 calico fan tails. Super small, so I'm hoping I'll find them when I release them into the pond and they will live long and prosper. [emoji868] For now they are in QT outside in a tub. Of course the temps dropped into the 60s last night with some storms that passed by so the water is cooler than I'd like... for both the new fish and the lilies I just put in. [emoji19]

d4eff18db9558b8d5939f6d04af726c1.jpg

febf490557520383f54a34498036139f.jpg