Butterfly's pond and flowers

Butterfly

Lovely photos as always.

Haha monster tomato. Do you like spaghetti sauce? My husband makes a lot of curry with diced tomatoes too so that's another option (I can't handle the spice level though).

Dunno if local soup kitchens (or other 'feed the homeless' groups) take home grown veggies but you may try contacting to see? If they take 'em they'd appreciate all the donations I'm sure. ^^

My husband is the cook/chef and he does make spaghetti sauce. Fortunately also a good use of the massive basil plant I have going in a pot (it was the sad left overs of one of those grocery store basil plants in a bag he made me pot in spring). Just a lot going on for him to blanch and skin all those tomatoes right now, but there's like 5+lbs on the kitchen counter waiting for him... I do also give away a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh! A heron found my pond and looks like all of my smaller fish are gone. Wakins, a small koi and a bunch of koi babies. [emoji31]. Still have my biggest two.

Argh! A heron found my pond and looks like all of my smaller fish are gone. Wakins, a small koi and a bunch of koi babies. [emoji31]. Still have my biggest two.

Sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear that.
Thanks. My son saw the heron out of his window and ran to tell me this morning. I'm hoping at least a couple of the small fish are hiding in the lilies but I am not holding my breath. They were all very friendly. At least my big fish didn't get speared.

BTW, thank you for nominating me for MoM! LOL, I was like... Whaaa?

Edited by Butterfly

More purty flowers...

Fuzzy bumble bee on milkweed.

0343bc03062e386708a3b4a8f7eb59db.jpg

Variegated butterfly bush

ec4a1c367162799bd7cc62f768279820.jpg

8a17b3f31263950d446efc94dc6443ec.jpg

Knockout rose. I have many of them but they generally bloom en masse once in the spring and then throw out a few flowers here and there throughout summer. They always get a little black spot.

239573024c038b198e4af772c82afe7e.jpg

Malabar spinach. I thought this was normal spinach that climbed. But actually a leafy green that is spinach in name only. LOL. It's pretty and still tasty. It's in a large pot.

38f395a0e7e1ac90ba6bf7d7aa70a9e2.jpg

Some annual flame grass. It is finally starting to get red. Probably would have done better with more sun.

157cab278d69fd61e7b004f888f3e057.jpg

Sedum Autumn Joy. These are never as colorful for me as they are in the pictures but they are starting to color up so I'm hoping this will be the year for the big show!

cef28fc83564e4da5f5487a87907c33b.jpg

Sorry to hear that.
Thanks. My son saw the heron out of his window and ran to tell me this morning. I'm hoping at least a couple of the small fish are hiding in the lilies but I am not holding my breath. They were all very friendly. At least my big fish didn't get speared.

BTW, thank you for nominating me for MoM! LOL, I was like... Whaaa?

Your very welcome!!!!

#*%&$ Heron!

One of the local ponders has a large very shallow pond for goldfish.  He lives right next to a wildlife preserve, so every predator imaginable lives nearby.  They have a length of 6" pvc pipe in the bottom of the pond.  The fish can hide in there if threatened.  It works very well.

Thanks all. I'm getting more bummed about my fish. At first I was just relieved my big fish were unhurt. Now I'm getting sad and starting to really miss the little guys. I wish I had taken more pictures of them. The wakins were really colorful and the few baby koi I had were really starting to color up, one was sanke, one gin rin and one a tancho variant I guess (white with a gray head spot). They were just mutt spawn but I was quite pleased with them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your pond and plants and fish are just incredible!

Do the fish winter in it?

Hi!  Thank you.  Yes.  I leave the fish out there all winter.  We have had some extremely cold winters here too lately with the pond fully frozen over with 6 inches of ice.  I use a product called a "Pond Breather" which has worked impressively well, especially because my pond is really not that deep (barely 2 feet at its deepest).

Hi!  Thank you.  Yes.  I leave the fish out there all winter.  We have had some extremely cold winters here too lately with the pond fully frozen over with 6 inches of ice.  I use a product called a "Pond Breather" which has worked impressively well, especially because my pond is really not that deep (barely 2 feet at its deepest).

Will you take some frosty pics of your pond once it's more wintery, please? :nana

Hi! Thank you. Yes. I leave the fish out there all winter. We have had some extremely cold winters here too lately with the pond fully frozen over with 6 inches of ice. I use a product called a "Pond Breather" which has worked impressively well, especially because my pond is really not that deep (barely 2 feet at its deepest).

Will you take some frosty pics of your pond once it's more wintery, please? :nana

Sure thing! I have red and yellow twig dogwood and winterberry around the pond which always looks nice against the snow. Winter berries often get eaten fast and they are already popping so I'm hoping some will be left come winter.

I always mean to take a picture of the pond breather because I am amazed how it works. (I never do because cuz it's usually way too cold!!!) Last 2 winters it completely disappeared under 2-3ft drifts but was impressively still working as the thaw set in... and all my fish survived!