Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Um.... is Louie a Ryukin or a Fantial with a hump?

Hi all, I have been watching Louie and she has grown sooo much, she is now bigger than pOdge! 

I was just wondering though is she a black moor ryukin?  or a straight black moor?  or a um.... What do I call her?

Sorry this photograph isn't great, its hard to photograph her as the lighting isn't that great and the background is in the dark...

P1070554%202_zpszowblxnz.jpg

Hi all, I have been watching Louie and she has grown sooo much, she is now bigger than pOdge! 

I was just wondering though is she a black moor ryukin?  or a straight black moor?  or a um.... What do I call her?

Sorry this photograph isn't great, its hard to photograph her as the lighting isn't that great and the background is in the dark...

P1070554%202_zpszowblxnz.jpg

I would say hes a Moor hun :)

Thanks Koko!  I was starting to get all confused!

He might a a bit of Ryukin in him but he doesnt have that really pronounced hump they get... but who knows he might get it.... time will tell... :)

He might a a bit of Ryukin in him but he doesnt have that really pronounced hump they get... but who knows he might get it.... time will tell... :)

Her hump has really only started to develop over the last 6 weeks or so... was not that pronounced before... I thought it was just my eyes, but my Mother in law came in the other day and she hasn't seen Louie for a month and she took one look and said "Louie!  you have grown a hump like a camel!"  LOL

Does look like there is a bit of Ryukin there!

A black telescope is a black moor by definition.  The body shapes of black moors vary a lot.  When I was a kid, the dime store had two kinds of goldfish -- orange commons and black moors.  The black moors of that time were totally black and stayed that color.  They were also longer-bodied than modern black moors.   I don't remember their body shape as much different from the commons, but what did I know?  

Older goldfish tend to develop humps, regardless of variety.  Perhaps the ryukin hump comes from a specialized form of premature aging.  

A black telescope is a black moor by definition.  The body shapes of black moors vary a lot.  When I was a kid, the dime store had two kinds of goldfish -- orange commons and black moors.  The black moors of that time were totally black and stayed that color.  They were also longer-bodied than modern black moors.   I don't remember their body shape as much different from the commons, but what did I know?  

Older goldfish tend to develop humps, regardless of variety.  Perhaps the ryukin hump comes from a specialized form of premature aging.  

Thanks for explaining that Sharon.  I never knew older fish got humps too!  I haven't had a fish that long yet obviously!  I thought Louie would have lost her black by now, but she is still as black as the day I bought her.  It will be interesting to see what happens then!  The more I learn about fish, the more fascinated I become!  :hi

Louie is beautiful!

Thankyou Blitz!  She is a cutie... She is mostly all eyes and tummy LOL 

Louie is a Beautiful Moor,for now I see a bit of Orange peeking through ;)

Louie is a Beautiful Moor,for now I see a bit of Orange peeking through ;)

Hi shellbell4ever... I know... I thought she would have had a colour change by now... but she has had that teeny bit of orange poking through since about two weeks after I got her.... so that is four months and still no change.... I guess its a case of wait and see! 

But then that opens up a whole new can of worms.... if she changes to orange, then what do I call her?  A telescope ryukin?  a Funny Fantail?

Yup, just a moor. They have a variety of body profiles, just like ranchu, lionhead, and tiku. They can have a more egg fish shape or more elongated body. The hump and compression of the profile can vary somewhat even within standard, and pets are rarely up to standard!

Edited by Arctic Mama

I know I'm a little late to the party but I'd say Louie is a demekin :)  

I know I'm a little late to the party but I'd say Louie is a demekin :)

That fits!  Though I admit I had to look up what a demekin was.  :teehee  Thanks molbert73!  I'm glad you dropped by this little party!  :hi

I think you are right.

Thanks for confirming that Sharon... all fits into place now!  :hi