My saltybox

colley614

Hey,

Here is my 400 litre marine set up. The green is turf algae and I have spent mmonths trying to get rid of it running 2 different phosphate removers at the same time.

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

I have dropped a few crabs in from my main tank in there. I also have a few bristleworms in there.

to be honest I am pretty fed up of Marine fish. It costs an absolute fortune to maintain and just when everything seems to run ok, something happens like an algae bloom. I've had 2 white spot outbraeks that have wiped my tank of over £100 worth of fish. I always think of how cool it would look with some Orandas in and how easier it would be to maintain without the £1 per 10 litre charge for water plus £2 a month on phosphate remover and £10 a month on carbon.

Yeah. :/  Have you tried grazers like the Yellow Eyed Kole Tang and Fox Face Rabbitfish?  The only reason I mention those is my husband has that pair, and they do a really great job of keeping the algae down (plus they're really pretty for the tank).  But I don't know what types of algae they eat, and I know you already have the Hippo...

Since your tank is big enough  you can get a yellow tank or something that is cheaper like a lawnmower blenny. I have so much GHA in my tank I now call it my GHA nano reef.  lol This fish do ok and so to more corals but so does the green weeds. 

Edited by Hidr

Yeah, I have a Yellow Tang and a Regal (Hippo) Tang but they don't seem to touch this stuff. I asked my LFS what eats it and he said "Hermits" so I spent £100 on hermits so I went back and said I still had it to which he proclaimed "Emerald crabs!" so I bought 5 emerald crabs for £100. The he says "seahare" so £22 later I have a seahare that dies the next day. I knew it was going to die becuase my cleaner shrimp was picking at it the secont it went in the tank. So then the guy at the LFS says "You need a reactor and some GFO!" okay, £140 but then he says "No, GFO maintains low phospates, you need an Aluminum based phosphate remover." £13 so I have given up. It's like tackling Aiptasia, I was told buy a peppermint £20. No you need two, no three. Oh yeah, they're no good you need a filefish £25. just ate my Acans!

• Admin

Yeah, I have a Yellow Tang and a Regal (Hippo) Tang but they don't seem to touch this stuff. I asked my LFS what eats it and he said "Hermits" so I spent £100 on hermits so I went back and said I still had it to which he proclaimed "Emerald crabs!" so I bought 5 emerald crabs for £100. The he says "seahare" so £22 later I have a seahare that dies the next day. I knew it was going to die becuase my cleaner shrimp was picking at it the secont it went in the tank. So then the guy at the LFS says "You need a reactor and some GFO!" okay, £140 but then he says "No, GFO maintains low phospates, you need an Aluminum based phosphate remover." £13 so I have given up. It's like tackling Aiptasia, I was told buy a peppermint £20. No you need two, no three. Oh yeah, they're no good you need a filefish £25. just ate my Acans!

:yikes:crazy:

Me too and the store I do most my salt business at is trying to tell me if my tank was bigger I would not have all this trouble. lol

Not falling for that line.

Edited by Hidr

I have been looking very closely at pictures of the "nicer" tanks and this is my conclusion.  All tanks have weeds.  Many cover the rocks with coral so no weeds can grow on the rocks. Then they clean the sand and glass before they take pictures.  Cause I can still see weeds on the power heads ext.....

So my goal for now is keep it off the sand and glass. And grow/get more coral.

Edited by Hidr

• 3 weeks later...