Sign in to follow this  
Ajnk17

In the middle of a water change right now... Little bugs help!

I'm currently in the middle of a water change my LFS closes in and hour roughly. I'm hoping to receive a reply and run three before they close. (Typing fast sorry for any typos)

Water levels are normal. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 5.0

I have two fantail's in a 75 gallon aquarium.

My fish have no visible signs of parasites on them. I can't get a picture of the little bugs because they are so small. The look like little whitish green beetles. I never noticed them before, but now during my water change I see the crawling all over the inside of the glass. A lot of them.

While doing my water change I also saw something that looked like a small white stringy worm thing swimming (Sorry for the terrible descriptions) I sucked it up right away. I wasn't sure if it was something floating, but it was moving fast so it looked like it was swimming.

I've heard or prazi before. Is that what I would use? I've never had to do a treatment before. I'm assuming directions are on it if I buy it?

I currently have about 50% of the water out and am trying to go to the store before they close. Any response is greatly appreciated!!

I don't think you need to worry about getting anything tonight for the bugs. Just do a thorough cleaning for now.

Do post a picture of your tank and the bugs. Usually fish will like to eat the bugs.

How often do you clean your tank? How much water do you change each time? What is your filter cleaning procedure? What kind of substrate do you have and how thick? How much and how often do you feed your fish?

I don't think you need to worry about getting anything tonight for the bugs. Just do a thorough cleaning for now.

Do post a picture of your tank and the bugs. Usually fish will like to eat the bugs.

How often do you clean your tank? How much water do you change each time? What is your filter cleaning procedure? What kind of substrate do you have and how thick? How much and how often do you feed your fish?

I went and I don't really know how much I trust the people at the fish store, but he said it looks like baby snails... I ended up just getting salt. I haven't done anything yet though. One of them were just jumping around on the top of the water..

I clean my tank weekly ( I was late this week) and do roughly 50% I just recently read about cleaning the filter. I've taken it apart and rinsed the plactic piece in the sink, but haven't done the filter cartridge itself, because I was worried about the BB. Even more recently I read about rinsing the filter in tank water. I have sand as a substrate and it's about half an inch, maybe less? I feed them twice a day except Wednesday's the have a break.

This is the best picture I could get of the little bugs.

image.jpg1_zpsr1afkvw9.jpg

For filter, you don't need to rinse the plastic pieces. Some of the BBs are on the walls of the filter (I assume these are the plastic pieces??). What do you use for cartridges?

As for the bugs, are you talking about the white things or the two green things? You indicate these things are jumping up  on top of the water?

For filter, you don't need to rinse the plastic pieces. Some of the BBs are on the walls of the filter (I assume these are the plastic pieces??). What do you use for cartridges?

As for the bugs, are you talking about the white things or the two green things? You indicate these things are jumping up  on top of the water?

When I later read about rinsing the filter in tank water, I realized that's what they meant and not the plastic walls. I have two aqueon quiet flows. I just purchase the large cartridges for that. (I'm still learning about everything and am shortly going to be adding more permanent media to the filter)

The white spots are even smaller bugs. The two green ones are bigger bugs. And yes, they were/are jumping on the water.

I don't think so. I googled a couple different descriptions and after looking at a bunch of ugly bug pictures, I still don't know. I did look at those last night because they sound like they do similar things, but they look nothing like that. :/

Check "water mites".  Also look at "gammarus" for the little bugs that don't jump

While identifying the bugs is interesting, I can assure you these present no danger to your fish.

If anything, the fish would probably like to eat them (if they can catch them).

As long as they aren't nothing the fish, which they aren't I'm okay. I just hate the idea of them. bugs gross me out.

Ive had these in my aquarium before. I never noticed them do any harm. The used to sit on the glass then used to jump on the surface