• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)- 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)- .25 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)- 10 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)- 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)- 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)- 0 ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH = 8.2 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH = 7.2 (I use baking soda to match pH)

• Other Required Info:

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Both girls seem fine except when the nitrites are not zero, and then only Duchess darts and seems uncomfortable. Salt in the tank seems to help. During her first Prazi round she also seemed uncomfortable (it had been 4-5 months since treating her and I was worried that the water quality might have given flukes a chance to bother her).
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?- frayed tail fin on edges, thickened white patches on Duchess's tail, a small hole that became a large rip in D's tail, some mild fraying on Vickie's
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. I was initially concerned about Duchess's tail, which has had thickened patches for a year. Duchess and Vickie had a long QT adventure first with antibiotics and meth blue (Kanaplex and Furan-2); they still had parasitic issues, however, and treated with Paraguard for 3 weeks. This seemed to rectify the zoning, uncontrolled swimming, gulping, flashing, and halt the fin-fraying. The fin-fraying has not mended itself, though, on either fish and now there is new fraying (see above)
      • * Any medications added to the tank? 2nd round of maintenance PraziPro (two days in); 5 tbsp salt for nitrite protection; 4 days of colloidal silver baths so far
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? Vickie the oranda was added in May to much asymptomatic parasitic disaster even after a month-long QT (see my old thread here)

• * What do you feed your fish and how often? -NLS Thera-A 1x and usually Repashy Super Green in the afternoon or evening. Sometimes bloodworms or nori. Sometimes Southern Delight goldfish pellets to mix things up.
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime, NicolG pre-mixed E.I. fertilizers (dosed for low tech (1x per week), gH booster, baking soda for kH, Excel (two capfuls 2x per week)
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Two: one fantail (6 years old and around 50 g) and one juvenile oranda (not sure of her weight right now since she has been growing)
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Two days ago, 90% (August 30)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? -Every five to seven days (80-90%)
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 AC 70s
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons, running 2-3 months now with fragile cycle
      • * Water temperature? 71.3 F; by midday it usually is up to 76F due to the heat here.
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? -API Freshwater Master, drops
      •  

Hi all, sorry to be writing about my girls again, but I'm not sure what to do about their fin problems. I was told that they may have scars after their long parasite adventure, but the fraying has not healed and now seems to be getting worse on D's tail. 

My conundrum is that when I change the water (90% usually), my very fragile and new cycle seems to register nitrites. They have stayed at .25 ppm for the past two days and ammonia has gone down from .25 ppm to zero overnight; I have also double-dosed Prime and salted the tank (see above) to protect gill damage. I do have plants so I am reluctant to salt heavily. They are also on their second round of Prazi to which Duchess the fantail seemed to have reactions during round 1, so I am wondering if the fin damage could be related. The silver baths do not seem to be helping whatsoever, and I am reluctant to put any kind of antibacterial, even if it is supposedly gentle like Melafix, in my fragile tank. I leave for 10 days in 2 weeks so I'd like to get on this now. 

I am wondering if salt dips would be advisable. I haven't done these before and have not been recommended to do some in the past, but I'm really not sure how else to encourage fin-healing. On the other hand, I don't know if treating them would even help when the cycle is somewhat unstable and they are on Prazi. 

I would appreciate any advice. Attempts at photos below:

Here you can see the thickened patch on her tail and some fraying as well as the split.

IMG_4045_zps0bsadjcc.jpg

Here is the split again

IMG_4038_zps3b2wfivo.jpg

I tried very hard to get Vickie to HOLD STILL but she is a goofball. She has no diseased/scarred patches yet and just has some uneven/ragged bits on the lower tip of one lobe of her fin. 

Thanks again.

You know I would like you to try one thing on them.... The silver treatment hun.... If you can find the 500ppms :) If you need help finding it let me know... but link to what you have found first :)

You know I would like you to try one thing on them.... The silver treatment hun.... If you can find the 500ppms :) If you need help finding it let me know... but link to what you have found first :)

Hi Koko, I have been giving them daily silver baths for 4 days now and D's tail has gotten worse. There has been no change in Vickie's.

Let me ask you one question about the silver are you using it with the PRazi?

how many drops are you using in a bowl hun?

Yes, I have been. Bad idea? I have been 10 drops of 500 ppm in 3 gallons of tank water.

Yes, I have been. Bad idea? I have been 10 drops of 500 ppm in 3 gallons of tank water.

yes hun... Silver doesnt work well with others.... Also some times Prazi can split tails and such as its working.... See the nasty dudes are trying to stay alive fighting for there lives... leaving scares on the fish.... So lets finish the Prazi hun.... then we can do Silver dips... If that doesnt work we can see what else we can do....

When you can too get me a full tank shot hun... Want to see if something might be bothering them :(

yes hun... Silver doesnt work well with others.... Also some times Prazi can split tails and such as its working.... See the nasty dudes are trying to stay alive fighting for there lives... leaving scares on the fish.... So lets finish the Prazi hun.... then we can do Silver dips... If that doesnt work we can see what else we can do....

When you can too get me a full tank shot hun... Want to see if something might be bothering them :(

OK. Will do!

OK. Will do!

Hi Koko,

Quick question: Duchess and Vickie are finishing their round of Prazi today and I am going to perform a 50-60% water change on their tank since my usual 90% change has been making my fragile cycle a bit unstable. Because I had been getting trace nitrite readings up until this morning (my parameters are now 0/0/0 ppm--I think the plants sucked up the nitrates and need ferts), I have 5 tbsp of salt in 29 gallons of water to protect them. This amount of salt seems to help Duchess calm down, since she is very sensitive. 

I know that silver is not advisable with .1% or higher salted water, but would this amount of salt be a problem? I was planning not to replace the salt during my water change. Would it be OK to prepare fresh water with a matched pH for a silver bath?

Thanks!

Pause the prazi rounds while doing the silver :). And honestly those don't look that bad. Remember that fish rarely look pristine, and oftentimes that is their normal. With nitrites fluctuating and prazi treatments going I'd chalk any symptoms up to that and not get overly concerned unless there are signed of an infection or respiratory distress.

OK. Will do!

Hi Koko,

Quick question: Duchess and Vickie are finishing their round of Prazi today and I am going to perform a 50-60% water change on their tank since my usual 90% change has been making my fragile cycle a bit unstable. Because I had been getting trace nitrite readings up until this morning (my parameters are now 0/0/0 ppm--I think the plants sucked up the nitrates and need ferts), I have 5 tbsp of salt in 29 gallons of water to protect them. This amount of salt seems to help Duchess calm down, since she is very sensitive. 

I know that silver is not advisable with .1% or higher salted water, but would this amount of salt be a problem? I was planning not to replace the salt during my water change. Would it be OK to prepare fresh water with a matched pH for a silver bath?

Thanks!

you can salt the tank but dont salt the water bowl with the silver in it... like you where thinking fresh water matched ph :) then you can place the fish back into the tank again... I dont think it will have a problem .. :)

How we doing?

How we doing?

I haven't been able to do the silver baths since I am still having a lot of cycling problems, and it seemed like their fins wouldn't improve without a stable cycle anyway. I'm also leaving tomorrow for the UK for ten days  :wall

The rip in Duchess's tail has been healing a bit since I stopped doing the silver and Prazi concurrently, though, and I hope to do the silver baths once I return... provided that they make it that long :(

How we doing?

I haven't been able to do the silver baths since I am still having a lot of cycling problems, and it seemed like their fins wouldn't improve without a stable cycle anyway. I'm also leaving tomorrow for the UK for ten days  :wall

The rip in Duchess's tail has been healing a bit since I stopped doing the silver and Prazi concurrently, though, and I hope to do the silver baths once I return... provided that they make it that long :(

Ok hun.... ill be thinking of you and your fish.... Keep me updated hun :) we will fix it :thumbs: