Matcha has fluid rings around her eyes

Kate89

Hi guys :)

I was feeding the fish as I was leaving for work this morning and noticed that Matcha my oranda had huge fluid rings around both eyes. All three other fish normal, and Matcha otherwise normal and well, swimming around frantically doing the 'feed me' dance. I had to leave for work but asked Baz to do a w/c and test the water for me. I've just returned home from work and found that the fluid rings have almost completely gone, the left eye a ring is just visible but nowhere near as bad as it was this morning. Baz has left a note saying w/c done and pre-w/c water test was 0 for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and pH 7.6. We did move house and area 3 weeks ago and this pH is lower than what it was previously, we were always at least pH8 in the other house.

Matcha has been spawning every two weeks since April, she spawned last weekend and she doesn't look eggy to me.

I have been noticing long white stringy poos over the last few months (as well as normal poos), definitely from Matcha but can't be sure the other fish aren't producing them as well. I have been meaning to start a thread about this as I wasn't sure if this was something to worry about in the absence of other signs, i.e. is stringy white poo always a sign of internal bacterial infection?

Anyway here's the form:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Will test later
    •  
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, but history of long stringy poop as explained above 
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fluid rings around both eyes as explained above
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Usual QT treatment (salt and Kusuri) when bought over a year ago, all fish passed qt without problem. Have had several Kusuri (flubendazole) maintenance treatments, most recent one approx 2 months ago when fry added to main tank
      • * Any medications added to the tank? No
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? No - fry added to tank couple of months ago but was bred in tank
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Mixture of Hikari Lionhead and Purple Saki Hikari pellets (one feed in morning and one at lunch time), and one cube frozen bloodworms and Repashey silent green gel food in evening
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stresscoat
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish. One oranda, one fantail/ryukin, and one ranchu all quite large, and one fry 
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 90%, previous to that one week ago 90%
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 90%
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? ​Fluval FX6 canister
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50 UK or 60 US gallons, running for 18 months
      • * Water temperature? 25 degrees C
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master test kit drops

Here's a video from when I got in from work, can't get a pic as she won't stay still. Didn't take a pic or vid this morning as had to leave for work. It's her left eye that still has a bit of a fluid ring, it's difficult to see in the vid though.

Pictures of long stringy white poo I've been noticing over last few months. May be something completely unconnected but thought I'd mention it.

805DCA5D-C52E-4971-BB81-0738F45AB2EC_zps

8DE8EB25-267F-42D7-A5B3-28E372C4517B_zps

39466753-D42F-4A4F-A2ED-FBA5A26222DD_zps

If the fluid rings were as bad as they were this morning I was going to put her in qt with epsom, but now they've gone down I'm not sure what to do or what caused it.

Thank you everyone in advance for your advice :)

Thanks for filling out the form.  :D

I couldn't really see the fluid rings in the video but Matcha looks very active and happy, no clamping.  At this point I wouldn't treat with anything.

The long white poop can be a sign of internal infection, as you said, but it can also be from stress, poor water quality, poor diet, etc.  Again, if she has been having this on and off for months and is still looking that peppy, I wouldn't treat for it.

I would be interested to know what your tap pH is right from the faucet and again 24 hours later.  Also would you happen to know your GH/KH?  :idont

Thanks for filling out the form.  :D

I couldn't really see the fluid rings in the video but Matcha looks very active and happy, no clamping.  At this point I wouldn't treat with anything.

The long white poop can be a sign of internal infection, as you said, but it can also be from stress, poor water quality, poor diet, etc.  Again, if she has been having this on and off for months and is still looking that peppy, I wouldn't treat for it.

I would be interested to know what your tap pH is right from the faucet and again 24 hours later.  Also would you happen to know your GH/KH?  :idont

Thanks Lisa :) Will have to test the tap water tomorrow as I'm out now, and will try to get hold of GH/KH testing kit

• Helper

I hope Matcha improves :). For what it is worth I have a Ranchu with fluid rings and no other symptoms. Sometimes it happens, beats me as to why. No signs of stress of infection, either. A pH drop could certainly do it, so the info Lisa requested will help us eliminate that as a possibility.

I can see that eye bobbing.... Can you do us a fav.... put the fish in a white bowl and try and take some photos or a video :)

Just uploading a video now, had to use a metal bowl as I don't have a white one. Took a while for her to settle down before I took the video, I waited until she was nice and still so hopefully you should get a good view of the eyes in this vid...

Kate, I absolutely agree with Taryl and Lisa.  I've seen a lot of treatment for fluid rings with no other symptoms and/or stringy poo with no other symptoms that did not seem to fix anything and quite possibly hurt.  

Yeh she's really well in herself so it's probably nothing. Just thought it was weird that her eyes would fill up like that and go down so quickly. 

If Im seeing right the whites are on the bottom of the eye and the kinda corner of it... Is that what your seeing too?

There's not much to see in the video as the fluid rings went down a lot during the day. The fluid rings were around the eyeball.

She looks fine today, I'll keep an eye on her and get another pic/vid if it reoccurs.

• Helper

It may even be like us getting swollen fingers or legs on occasion. Sometimes it just happens even with a healthy diet, physical condition, and lack of Doritos.

Sorry I went a bit AWOL with this thread... Matcha is still doing fine, I've noticed that she tends to have a bit of a fluid ring around her left eye in the morning when I leave for work, but when I get home in the evening it's gone down. Really weird, I've no idea why it seems to only happen in the morning. But she's lively, greedy and still spawning every fortnight like clockwork, so I'll just accept that it's just one of her idiosyncrasies for now. 

Tested the tap water and it's the same as the tank, pH 7.6, which is lower than it was in our previous house.

Haven't managed to get to an LFS to get a GH/KH kit yet, I'm basically living at work at the moment lol  :doh11: