SunSun 304B Show and Tell! (pic heavy)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so first regularly scheduled water change tonight. What am I supposed to be doing with this filter on a weekly basis? The water is clear, by the way! But lots more algae on the glass than usual it seems.

If you're going to clean the canister filter. Dont forget to check the o-rings for signs of damage. But I bet that there would be no signs of damages on the o-rings since it is a new CF. Also check proper placement of the trays when servicing it back. I do cleaning of my old CF like every month or two.. Depends if I get lazy. One time I didn't service my CF for 3 months. Gunk really accumulated inside the canister. And the filter pads where very filthy. Just sharing.. :)

Also do top off the canister with tank water. :D

Edited by Fastlane

Hi!

So I got mine a few days ago and am slowly working on getting everything together. 

How does the water flow in this thing?  The pump is at the top but so are the input and outputs?  I want to place my media to it's best advantage.  I was planning on 2 trays with sponge and 2 with matrix.  Without knowing how it flows, I was thinking of sandwiching the matrix in the middle.  Thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi!

So I got mine a few days ago and am slowly working on getting everything together. 

How does the water flow in this thing?  The pump is at the top but so are the input and outputs?  I want to place my media to it's best advantage.  I was planning on 2 trays with sponge and 2 with matrix.  Without knowing how it flows, I was thinking of sandwiching the matrix in the middle.  Thoughts?

Thanks.

From what I've learned here, and my current set up is that on the bottom tray you put the blue coarse fine pads then the white fine pads after.. The last 2 trays I have has media in it. I think others do put a fine white pad below the ceramic media(last 2 /3 upper trays).. As far as I know the flow of water is from the intake then water goes down the bottom tray first and then goes up through trays.. Hope that helps..

Hi!

How does the water flow in this thing? The pump is at the top but so are the input and outputs? I want to place my media to it's best advantage. I was planning on 2 trays with sponge and 2 with matrix. Without knowing how it flows, I was thinking of sandwiching the matrix in the middle. Thoughts?

Thanks.

I have on the bottom tray a coarse medium and fine filter. You can have coarse and fine if thats what you have. Then rest of trays are filled with nothing but media and no filters. You dont want filters with media because it will just trap any gunk to your media defeating the purpose. I have found this method to work extremely well Edited by Cdionne77

If you have existing etablished media, put that on the second tray from the bottom, then new media on rest of the trays on top. This will seed the rest of the new media with all the good BB's :)

Thanks. I got the 304b so I have 4 trays and the uv. I will do from bottom to top: [coarse], [medium/fine layered], [matrix], [matrix]. I'm trying to seed my coarse mats and matrix in my pond now, so hopefully I'll have a good start when I get the rest of the tank set up.

SweetMamaKaty,

Hello again!  

I finally got mine set up and it is kinda loud.  Hum/buzz at least the level of an old refrigerator and echoing everywhere.  What level noise would you say yours makes?  I don't know if I got a bad unit or if this is how it is supposed to be?  Impeller issue?  

TIA

SweetMamaKaty,

Hello again!  

I finally got mine set up and it is kinda loud.  Hum/buzz at least the level of an old refrigerator and echoing everywhere.  What level noise would you say yours makes?  I don't know if I got a bad unit or if this is how it is supposed to be?  Impeller issue?  

TIA

Are you using the little skimmer part in addition to the other intake?  Mine made some noise until I realized the water level was just below the skimmer, causing it.

SweetMamaKaty,

Hello again!  

TIA

Are you using the little skimmer part in addition to the other intake?  Mine made some noise until I realized the water level was just below the skimmer, causing it.

Hi!

I do have the skimmer set up but the water is above it.  It really sounds like the motor humming.  Not making bad clunky noises, just loud buzzing/humming.  Potentially hasn't purged all the air yet, but it doesn't sound like an air/water noise.  Ugh.  I guess I will check the impeller when I get home to be sure it isn't loose.

How much noise would you say yours makes?  

SweetMamaKaty,

Hello again!  

TIA

Hi!

I do have the skimmer set up but the water is above it.  It really sounds like the motor humming.  Not making bad clunky noises, just loud buzzing/humming.  Potentially hasn't purged all the air yet, but it doesn't sound like an air/water noise.  Ugh.  I guess I will check the impeller when I get home to be sure it isn't loose.

How much noise would you say yours makes?  

Check the impeller shaft. Mine was broken in shipping along with my UV bulb. It's either a plastic or ceramic shaft and was broken in half. They shipped me one out right away, I installed it and it was pretty much silent from that point on.

SweetMamaKaty,

Hello again!  

TIA

Though mine is just the smaller model (303B/370 GPH).. mine just hums.. you know.. a fair considerable humming noise that you can tolerate..

I guess just follow what Homerjay advised you.. check the impeller if it has a crack, and also check if it is correctly installed to the head pump..

Also check for the trays inside... if they're correctly lined up.. I read here in the forum that sometimes the culprit is the ceramic media. You should fill up the trays in a way that it's really compact.. so the media won't rattle.. Also an advice is to put a rag under the Canister filter or something that will dampen the noise.. HTH :) Cheers! and goodluck..

Love this thread :D

Makes me want one of these filters :nana

But I was under the impression that you didn't need to service canister filters as frequently as AC filters :idont like once a month or 6 wks is adequate.

But I was under the impression that you didn't need to service canister filters as frequently as AC filters :idont like once a month or 6 wks is adequate.

I usually service them about every 8 weeks :peeka

I usually service them about every 8 weeks :peeka

That's what I'm talking about :thumbs:

I serviced my old one like about after 5 months..(not bragging, just sharing.. :D)

But it was really filthy when I serviced it..

Now, I service mine like every 8-9 weeks... or as often or when schedule permits

Edited by Fastlane

I serviced my old one like about after 5 months..(not bragging, just sharing.. :D)

Now, I service mine like every 8-9 weeks... or as often or when schedule permits

yeah, my "about 8" can sometimes venture to 12 :lol2

I made a comparison between the HW 303 B and the Hw 302, and was surprised that the bigger model is less filthy inside after servicing..

This is based on a 3 week comparison.. Maybe the big CF itself really helps with the waste.. I dunno really but this is just based on experience :)

I made a comparison between the HW 303 B and the Hw 302, and was surprised that the bigger model is less filthy inside after servicing..

This is based on a 3 week comparison.. Maybe the big CF itself really helps with the waste.. I dunno really but this is just based on experience :)

Maybe it's the amount of biomedia it can hold to process the waste better. :idont

Maybe it's the amount of biomedia it can hold to process the waste better. :idont

:thumbup2:  :)

Thanks all.  I am so bummed about this noise.  I got home late last night and checked the impeller.  It was not broken.  It did seem a little scratched up though and the hole it sits in in the filter head was rough.  Possible culprit?  I dunno.  I put it back together and it is still really loud.  55-60dB.  Too loud to stay that way.  I'm going to try to work it out with the seller.  

Thanks all.  I am so bummed about this noise.  I got home late last night and checked the impeller.  It was not broken.  It did seem a little scratched up though and the hole it sits in in the filter head was rough.  Possible culprit?  I dunno.  I put it back together and it is still really loud.  55-60dB.  Too loud to stay that way.  I'm going to try to work it out with the seller.

Ya the best way is to have it replace if it really doesn't work out for you... If it's still within the warranty period...