SunSun 304B Show and Tell! (pic heavy)

I personally would not use the fine floss in every tray. Anything that makes it last the initial stage of mechanical filtration should be allowed to flow through, otherwise, the additional pads could trap debris in the biomedia or carbon space which will make it less effective.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I know this looks bad :yikes  but I am going to cut the hose today so nobody :SmackBottom: me lol

and you can see it's like a light blue gray color instead of the normal white LOL

20150829_163244_zpsedexxefo.jpg

Nice looking CF. :) as far as looks is concerned :)

How's the performance?

Runs great. Extremely quiet and hold a ton of media

I personally would not use the fine floss in every tray. Anything that makes it last the initial stage of mechanical filtration should be allowed to flow through, otherwise, the additional pads could trap debris in the biomedia or carbon space which will make it less effective.

I have a coarse medium and fine filter pad on the bottom and nothing on the other trays but media. I thought I was doing it wrong. I guess I wasn't. Thank you for the clarification :)

Ok I know this looks bad :yikes but I am going to cut the hose today so nobody :SmackBottom: me lol

and you can see it's like a light blue gray color instead of the normal white LOL

20150829_163244_zpsedexxefo.jpg

How's the performance?

I never had issues with water clarity before. I used koi clay only because I wanted my water to be crystal clear. I stopped using the koi clay to see how this performs. So far the clarity is next to using the clay. Im going to give it some time to see. But im loving how quiet my tank is now. I also have an aqua clear 110 hob also running but eventually i want to replace with another Sunsun 404B :) Edited by Cdionne77

• Helper

I have two of the, that we are plumbing in line with sand filters on my current cabinet setup. Husband actually bought all the plumbing components this weekend and have been cutting the internals and building the supports of the cabinet boxes. Will be posting those in my own build thread :)

I'm going to attempt to cut the hose.. wish me luck. Hopefully I don't get water everywhere and I shut everything down correctly  :blink:

I'm going to attempt to cut the hose.. wish me luck. Hopefully I don't get water everywhere and I shut everything down correctly  :blink:

Were you able to cut your hose? ;)

Ok I know this looks bad :yikes but I am going to cut the hose today so nobody :SmackBottom: me lol

and you can see it's like a light blue gray color instead of the normal white LOL20150829_163244_zpsedexxefo.jpg

How's the performance?

I never had issues with water clarity before. I used koi clay only because I wanted my water to be crystal clear. I stopped using the koi clay to see how this performs. So far the clarity is next to using the clay. Im going to give it some time to see. But im loving how quiet my tank is now. I also have an aqua clear 110 hob also running but eventually i want to replace with another Sunsun 404B :)

That's great. I wanted that same model but I think that is too big for my tank and the cabinet.. So I got the smaller version. So far so good too. I also have the smallest model(302 non-UV) which I'm not using as of the moment..

• Supporter

I love mine (525gph model) Been using it for a year and its still quieter than a mouse on the night before Christmas. I have the model without uv. My only gripe is that it won't fit in my stand lol. (Not that there is really any room under it with all the extra junk I got in there lol)

Darn, you're making me regret buying an AC 110. :rofl

I'm not really familiar with canisters..does the water drain out when you turn it off? Do you have to refill it with water to turn it on again?

I have 3 of these cannisters!!...best filters I have ever used!...I find if you cut the tubing so as the inflow pipe is virtical no big bends or loops it will prime easily!!! :-) :-)

Good to know!  I had no clue and just left it how it came.  I wonder why they do that.

How's the performance?

I never had issues with water clarity before. I used koi clay only because I wanted my water to be crystal clear. I stopped using the koi clay to see how this performs. So far the clarity is next to using the clay. Im going to give it some time to see. But im loving how quiet my tank is now. I also have an aqua clear 110 hob also running but eventually i want to replace with another Sunsun 404B :)

Two of those would be nice!  If my sump idea doesn't pan out, I might have to do that too. :)

I have two of the, that we are plumbing in line with sand filters on my current cabinet setup. Husband actually bought all the plumbing components this weekend and have been cutting the internals and building the supports of the cabinet boxes. Will be posting those in my own build thread :)

I'm so glad you posted here - I had an idea after seeing your build thread.  Do you think I could sort of run mine in line by putting the canister intake inside the sump with the way I have them in there?  Or would that be a bad idea?  I'm wondering if I could just use the canister as the return pump basically.  But would the water flow into my overflow box at the same rate of return?

I love mine (525gph model) Been using it for a year and its still quieter than a mouse on the night before Christmas. I have the model without uv. My only gripe is that it won't fit in my stand lol. (Not that there is really any room under it with all the extra junk I got in there lol)

Yeah, I had to clear out all my stuff and take it to the basement.  Not a big loss, because I don't use most of it on a daily basis anyway and it was getting pretty full in there!

• Helper

There's no reason that shouldn't work, though calculating the proper water volumes so you don't get flooding or the filter unable to maintain pressure might be tricky. A pump is a pump, whether it is running straight or through material. The resistance changes, of course, but it should theoretically work.

How's the canister filter so far?  :th_news:  :thumbup2:

I'm loving it - it IS really quiet, and the water seems clear so far.  The test for me will be at the one week point, whether the water is still clear!

That's cool! Only downside is that it eats up a lot of space..  :lol:

But I guess it's not a downside as long as the filter is doing it's job...  :thumbup2:

Nice to hear that it's doing well..

How's the canister filter so far?  :th_news:  :thumbup2:

I'm loving it - it IS really quiet, and the water seems clear so far.  The test for me will be at the one week point, whether the water is still clear!

That's cool! Only downside is that it eats up a lot of space..  :lol:

But I guess it's not a downside as long as the filter is doing it's job...  :thumbup2:

Nice to hear that it's doing well..

Yeah, half the stuff under my cabinet was old airline tubing and other stuff that was really just taking up space, so it was just as well!

I must thank you for this post. I don't know if I would have found or trusted this filter otherwise. I ordered one for my start up and hope to have as much success. Thanks!

You are very welcome!  I'm happy so many people who have the same ones chimed in! :nana

I ordered another one as I am loving the 404B I have now. I went with the 304B because I think the big priming button will be easier on my hands than the newer version I have.(I have weakness in my hands) I just bought the AC110 not even a month ago so I'll just sell it ;) 

• Supporter

I ordered another one as I am loving the 404B I have now. I went with the 304B because I think the big priming button will be easier on my hands than the newer version I have.(I have weakness in my hands) I just bought the AC110 not even a month ago so I'll just sell it ;)

You can also just hold the intake tube up and pour some water down it to prime it if pressing the button down gives you trouble.

You can also just hold the intake tube up and pour some water down it to prime it if pressing the button down gives you trouble.

That's a great idea Daniel Thanks :)

For the price, you can't beat this.. Compared to the branded canister filters which are far more expensive..

I think sunsun CF's are efficient and does what it's supposed to do.. Though many people in reviews are complaining about the materials used.. I don't care that much, for me as long as you know what you're purchasing then you're in the right track.. Just be careful on assembling the CF because understandably some parts are really flimsy..  :thumbup2: