Is it dropsy or something else?

fishy

Hi, I had posted a couple weeks ago about my friend's oranda that appeared to have dropsy (raised scales, round body-fluid retention body and eye area). To recap, she does not really do water changes but she has done 2 since I last posted, did kanaplex, still on metroplex, and Epsom. The oranda is still eating, definitely rounder-whole body, more raised scales, and does swim but not like a 'normal' goldfish. Is this dropsy or could it be something else? Any thoughts on how long a fish like this can/will live? The fish overall seems okay all considered, is this fair to the fish? I feel bad for the fish but I am at a loss of what to tell her and what else to do. Thanks for any input : )

I would try to get a video or a pic of the fish if you can. Without that it will be extremely hard for the moderators to diagnose or tell you how to proceed. Have you or your friend tested the water parameters  of the tank? When was the last time there was a water change and how much?

Edited by Cdionne77

I know she does not test her water, I will ask her to bring a sample. The video she sent me was really blurry but I'll see if she can get something better this weekend. As far as the water change, it was 10-14 days ago, 50%-nothing since and it was months before that another change was done. My friend is a good person but definitely needs improvement in the goldfish keeping department. I'm hoping the fish will be okay but I have reservations. I'll post when I get more info, thanks for your thoughts : )

Dropsy is not a disease it is a symptom.  If the fish is bloated and pineconed, it has dropsy.  

If she won't do large water changes in the course of treatment,  the money she spends on medications has been wasted.  

When I have successfully treated a dropsied fish, I treated in two ten gallon tanks doing bucket to bucket 100% daily water changes.

Thank you, to me, the lack of water changes explains why the fish isn't necessarily worse or better with meds. I will let her know, honestly, I don't know if she'll do them or not because she hadn't done them pretty much all along. Thank you.

Can you print out the guidelines for healthy goldfish (link below my signature) and give that to your friend? Maybe this will help your friend realize the care needed to keep their goldfish in good health.