Sign in to follow this  
kiro

How bad it is to keep tank in front of window?

Hello again everyone.

I was wondering, I have heard that tank should not be kept in front of window. 

However, I am curious what are the reasons for this? Algae problem? Possible hotspots in water?

We're looking for optional placements for the fishtank in our house (for my partner, bless, feels it'll be in the way no matter where it will be).

However our options are pretty much in front of large windows (that could have closed blinds, though I don't know if that's help) or the currently planned place that he'd prefer to put writing desk to. 

Unfortunately our house has a lot of in-built bookshelves so there is very limited amount of space to push tank up against, and the rooms are not big enough for the tank to work as divider.

I have my tank in front of my back kitchen window.  I use a background and a lid to keep the sunlight out and I have a piece of foam poster board between the tank and window for insulation.  I also have a heater in the tank to keep the temperature from dropping too much.   

I have my tank in front of a window. I have a hood and fabric that I use as a backdrop for the back of my tank and it keeps light away. In the winter the window can sometimes be drafty so I use an insulated curtain and I also keep an aquarium heater on in the winter months. I have had no problem with any algae, hot spots, or green water. In front of a window is my only option as well but it is very doable. There are several people on here that have their tanks in front of windows with no problems. As long as you take the few steps  mentioned you should be good to go :) 

I'd only worry if it was drafty or got direct sunlight. But as long as there are a few inches between the tank and window for a thermal break and you're not seeing big temperature swings or algae blooms you should be fine. I've kept many tanks near windows with no issues. Sometimes my heaters kick on because of my cold climate chilling the tank slightly, but the fluctuations are well under control with a heater set to 74 or so.

It really just depends on your location. I am so far north that even direct sunlight barely makes a dent in algae or plant growth. But back in California I could have had real problems with heat and excess photoperiod in my tanks if it was a south facing window.

Thank you so much guys. You have saved me a lot of headaches (and probably arguments with my love).

My window is south-facing, but as we reside in north-west England, the excess sunlight isn't exactly going to be a huge problem. As a Finn I could say word or two about the houses insulation, but I am sure I can insulate the windows enough to protect the tank from draft. 

Honestly knowing that placement is doable lifts huge weight off my shoulders.

It seems I can't edit photos in the previous post. 

Anyway, just to be sure, this is the spot in front of the window I've been thinking about.

IMG-20150816-WA0002_zpsouumjuie.jpg

Edited by kiro

Is that a radiator for heat?  That might be an issue :idont

I had the same thought.

Ah yes. It's heater. I'm not sure if it is working though. The house is about 150 years old and we have few that haven't been working for ages apparently. I'll need to check if this one works or not.

What is the problem if it is working?

Edited by kiro

Temperature fluctuations.

Ah, I see.

Thank you for the warning, I'll need to inspect it properly when I'm back in UK.

Edited by kiro

It may cause no problems at all. The combination of a heater and drafty windows  right next to the tank could do strange things to the water temperature or could just cancel one another out.  

It may cause no problems at all. The combination of a heater and drafty windows  right next to the tank could do strange things to the water temperature or could just cancel one another out.  

Thank you shakaho. :)

Like I mentioned earlier, it might be it isn't even in working order; we have two more heaters in the house  that seem to have been just been left there by the previous owner even though the heating has been remodeled. Unfortunately I am not in UK now, so I can't check, and my love isn't comfortable enough to say yay or nay about it.

I really hope it won't cause any problems in case it is working, and definitely will keep close eye while establishing tank to get prior warning and see what to expect.

Just a question; in case it is in working order, do you think that having two thermometers (one in each end of the tank) would be smart to see if the closeness to the heater causes changes/fluctuation?

Edited by kiro

I don't think you need that.  Your filter will give enough water circulation to keep the whole tank at the same temperature.  

I don't think you need that.  Your filter will give enough water circulation to keep the whole tank at the same temperature.  

Okay. 

Thank you VERY much for your help again - for all of you. It makes me so feel so much better I can always get other people's opinions at Koko's ^___^