Sign in to follow this  
TonySydney

I thought I was dealing with constipation now I am not sure

I am now so obsessed with helping this little fish, he is all i seem to think about. i decided to feed him a mushy pea and he ate it while still in the floating box. I took the opportunity to feed the other two fish some gel food while he was in the box. I will continue this way so I can make sure he is on a restricted high fibre diet. I will try some duckweed for breakfast unless someone thinks that is a bad idea.

He is swimming a bit more and mainly doing head stands when not swimming. He still has an appetite which I take as a good sign. After he and the other two fish were fed I let him out of the breeder box. The box is really well designed, it has sliding doors at each end - when I pulled the sliding door up to open it, he simply swam out. He does not seem stressed in the box.

7173E1BA-440F-40CD-882A-5147D7450DDE_zps

The box is a great idea to help regulate how much your fish eats. I do something similar but with a plastic colander. I like the breeder box more.

The question though is to see if your fish is pooping. It is easier to see if in another tank by herself.

Edited by LisaCGold

Things are not good now the sick fish is upside down (belly up) I put him back in the main tank because the bucket was too small, I can put him in a larger container of water. He took the beans this morning but spat them back out. I am getting confused, I was told I was overfeeding all my fish earlier on, that I should only be feeding them once a day or every second day. So I stopped the three feeds, then later on I was told three small feed are fine.

Should I put the sick fish into a larger tub with the duckweed? I think I am going to lose him at this rate.

Lets do what Sharon has suggested hun.... :)

Actually, I find feeding in that box and then putting him in the tank so he can get exercise to be a very good idea.  Can you set up a duckweed tub so you can grow enough duckweed to really feed him a lot?  Duckweed will grow on used fish tank water.

Edited by shakaho

I have tons of duckweed, it is on top of all my tropical fish tanks, i can put plenty in the tank. My sick fish is swimming about this morning but spent the night hiding under one of the ferns. He is still a bit heads down but not doing a head stand when still like before. I have fed him half a mushy pea heart this morning and he was very excited to get it. I will leave duckweed in the tank before I go to work. He is pooping, I will put him in the larger container tonight for few hours and feed him to make sure he is pooping well. I am glad you guys think the floating breeder box is a good idea - I thought to do it when another fish got sick before and had to go on a special diet.

My fish will hand feed and are very tame. I never actually handle them, instead I use a bowl to gently remove them from the tank in the bowl of tank water to avoid damaging the protective mucus cover.

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated. I have written some notes in my goldfish diary about the shallow water and duckweed treatment for future reference. Yes I have a goldfish diary - stop laughing  :D  :D

Personally I think goldfish diary is good idea and I plan to keep one when I get my fish.

Good luck with sick fishy. Hope it feels better soon.

Thanks Kiro - I find it the only way to be sure of when I did something exactly and how I did it. The sick fish is more active but I am still only feeding peas and duckweed to keep the roughage going through him.  :D

I like that breeder box, very nice.  I keep a journal of each time I medicate--why, who, what meds, how much, how long, etc-- and also filter maintenance.  Some days I can't remember my own name, let alone who was given what meds and why.  :rofl3

Good luck with him.  He's a gorgeous fish!

Your tank and fish are beautiful :)  It sounds like you take awesome care of your fish.  The diary is a great thing!   I created my own tracking sheet for my goldfish.  It really helps me a lot.  I hope he/she feels better soon.

Thanks everyone, he is back to doing head stands for long periods, he is still eating and can swim normally when he has to. I have put lots of duckweed into the tank but he is not eating it. The other two fish are though and there is an amazing amount of green poop I will vacuum out later tonight. I have been giving the sick fish peas as he spits out the beans now.

Are peas just as good as beans? Is the head stand thing a sign he is still constipated? Should I put a 1% solution of Epsom Salts into a large container and leave him in it? He swims about a fair bit now if I am in the room but goes back to head stands if he thinks there is no change I might feed him. I only have two weeks to get him well enough to leave in my sister's care as I have a conference I have to attend.  :no:

TS, What kind of breeder box is that? I'd like to get one. I have one fish that finds food faster than the other fish. It would be good if I can periodically make sure the other fish has a chance.

I'd fast him for a good 3-4 days and see if that makes any difference.  If you can QT him, I'd fast and add 1/2 tsp Epsom per 5 gallons.  This would also allow you to monitor his poop closely--if he poops and what it looks like if he does.  

Remind me--how long has he been like this?

Hi LisaCGold, sorry there is no brand name on the breeder box and I don't have the box it came in anymore. When I am at the local fish shop again, I will have a look to see if they have anymore and I will get the brand name for you.

Fantailfan1 he has been like this since Monday August 24. He was fasted for three days and then I put him in a bucket with Epsom Salt and he did not poop. After I fed him some thinly sliced steamed beans he pooped but the poop was black so I think that was the Blood Worms I fed him. He will no longer eat the beans so I have fed him some steamed peas twice a day (one mouthful a meal) and he has pooped. This time green but not the usual big diameter poop. The poop is normal consistency but thinner than usual. I also have duckweed in the tank but he does not seem interested in eating duckweed. When he is not swimming around he does a head stand. I am worried he may be permanently affected now.

I think this all started when I had the fish in a bucket during a regular water change and I fed them one defrosted cube of blood worms between the three of them. Something I have done many times before with no problems.

3BC749D4-0BAF-4293-8541-C2E6F79385EC_zps

This is now his default position when he is not swimming around

I think it's his swim bladder. And I don't feel it's anyhting you did or fed him.

There is a possibility it's an internal infection. You could treat with meds if you'd like to rule that out . . .

He's a cutie. Sorry you're having problems.

Thanks for your help, I have put him in a large container today with duck weed and fed him a cooked pea for breakfast. If it is an infection, what sort of medication would be safe to use?

I'd have to ask Helen what is available in Australia but I'd suggest metronidazole and one other antibiotic.

Thank you, he seems fine except for the head standing, I have him in a large container as suggested earlier in this post. I will keep him in there over the weekend and see if he improves. I will watch to see how much he poops. Should I try adding some Epsom Salts in the large container? It seems sudden for swim bladder issues but who knows with these beautiful delicate fish! I am hopeful he will come good.

I put him in the large container when I went to work this morning, when I got home tonight (12 hours later) he is not doing a head stand. He is sitting on the bottom a lot but is the right way up! I will feed him some more peas (he still spits out the beans) and see how he goes.

I am losing him, he has been eating and pooping normally but this morning he is lying on his side and is not interested in food. I don't  think the problem is constipation now, or at least it isnt just constipation. He has been pooping normally for a while now but he sits a lot. Yesterday I thought he was on the mend he was swimming about normally between sitting on the bottom.

But today he is lying on his side. I put clean, treated, temperature matched water into the large tub he is in last night and he seemed fine. There was no poop this morning though. I think this will be my final attempt at keeping goldfish. I cannot do more for them than I am doing but it seems what I am doing is not enough to keep them healthy. I will do my best to care for the last two fish I have but when they go I will not get any more goldfish.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help

I'm so sorry, TS. For your fish lying on its side: rest in peace. For your other two fish: long healthy life to you both.

I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with goldfish.I saw you explaining your regular care schedule earlier, and it seemed very methodical and effective. I don't think you need to blame yourself for the bad luck you've had with fancies though. Fancy goldfish just are very mutated, very inbred species so I imagine issues, especially those related to swim bladder just happen.

I'm not trying to say you can't quit the hobby, you obviously need to do as you feel best, and if taking care of the fish is constantly stressful, it can't be enjoyable.

All I'm saying is that don't blame yourself.

Thanks LisaCGold, he was alive when I left for Father's Day lunch at my sister's house but was dead when I got home about 5 hours later. I did everything that everyone suggested but nothing worked. I can't take the heartache of loosing such intelligent friendly fish.

When I decided to try goldfish again about 18 months ago; I had a huge tank built and then set about keeping the best water quality and a wide range of food to keep them healthy. I will do what I can to maintain the last two but when they go I am going to change the tank over to a tropical tank setup. I will have to be content with reading my many goldfish books to get my goldfish fix.

I have to wonder how often other fish keepers lose fish, I cannot seem to keep them healthy, if regularly losing fish is part of the hobby I can't live with that. I get too attached  :no:

Thanks Kiro - I seem attracted to the most highly bred shapes and they are delicate, but other people seem to keep their fish alive and healthy. I never seem to be able to get them to recover if something goes wrong. I feel emotionally wrecked after failing the save this little fish. I get pleasure out of looking at my fish but the stress when they get ill is now more than the pleasure of keeping them. I wondered if Ranchus are tougher but their rounded bodies probably make them just as delicate?

Thanks LisaCGold, he was alive when I left for Father's Day lunch at my sister's house but was dead when I got home about 5 hours later. I did everything that everyone suggested but nothing worked. I can't take the heartache of loosing such intelligent friendly fish.

When I decided to try goldfish again about 18 months ago; I had a huge tank built and then set about keeping the best water quality and a wide range of food to keep them healthy. I will do what I can to maintain the last two but when they go I am going to change the tank over to a tropical tank setup. I will have to be content with reading my many goldfish books to get my goldfish fix.

I have to wonder how often other fish keepers lose fish, I cannot seem to keep them healthy, if regularly losing fish is part of the hobby I can't live with that. I get too attached  :no:

Its not easy hun at all.... I had some fish that only lived for a month and others that lived 5-9 years with me.... I guess it just depends on the fish and how they where raised before you got them.....Also remember Genetics plays a big part....

All you can do is yoru best and that what your doing hun.... be strong :hug We are here if you need to talk or help :hug