Duckweed

QandD

I am thinking of buying some duckweed off of eBay from a seemingly decent source (here is the listing). I was planning on growing it in a bucket by the window in old tank water, and then putting in a bit at a time into the main tank for my girls to eat since I don't want the duckweed to take over. 

Anyway, I was wondering if I would have to quarantine the duckweed (and how I would do that). Also, does my duckweed-raising plan sound OK?

Surface area determines how much you can grow, so a shallow tote or tub would be better.  The ideal fertilizer for duckweed is urine.  

You can't beach it.  So the best quarantine is just transfer the duckweed to a fresh bucket of used water daily for about a week.

The seller looks good, but the 1/2 c looks like a much better deal.  Do find out how long it will take to get to you.  I have paid for live duckweed in the summer and received cooked duckweed.

If you have a HOB filter and put the duckweed in the tank, the duckweed will float to the filter outlet, go down and into the filter inlet and make a filter mess.  The options to avoid this include turning off the filter when you feed the duckweed, putting the duckweed in a "feeding station", or putting an a barrier around the filter outlet to keep the duckweed away from it.

Surface area determines how much you can grow, so a shallow tote or tub would be better.  The ideal fertilizer for duckweed is urine.  

You can't beach it.  So the best quarantine is just transfer the duckweed to a fresh bucket of used water daily for about a week.

The seller looks good, but the 1/2 c looks like a much better deal.  Do find out how long it will take to get to you.  I have paid for live duckweed in the summer and received cooked duckweed.

If you have a HOB filter and put the duckweed in the tank, the duckweed will float to the filter outlet, go down and into the filter inlet and make a filter mess.  The options to avoid this include turning off the filter when you feed the duckweed, putting the duckweed in a "feeding station", or putting an a barrier around the filter outlet to keep the duckweed away from it.

This is good info. I was wondering the same as I just ordered some to see if it can help with my Oranda's floatiness 

Surface area determines how much you can grow, so a shallow tote or tub would be better. The ideal fertilizer for duckweed is urine.

You can't beach it. So the best quarantine is just transfer the duckweed to a fresh bucket of used water daily for about a week.

The seller looks good, but the 1/2 c looks like a much better deal. Do find out how long it will take to get to you. I have paid for live duckweed in the summer and received cooked duckweed.

If you have a HOB filter and put the duckweed in the tank, the duckweed will float to the filter outlet, go down and into the filter inlet and make a filter mess. The options to avoid this include turning off the filter when you feed the duckweed, putting the duckweed in a "feeding station", or putting an a barrier around the filter outlet to keep the duckweed away from it.

Hi Sharon, thanks for this information! I do have HOB filters but generally use sponge intake covers since I have a sand substrate for my plants. As for a feeding station, would something like a plastic strawberry carton with the bottom removed work?

My buckets are wide and shallow... hard to describe, but they're not typical 5 gallon buckets. I'm not sure about peeing into the buckets, but would a few drops of pure ammonia work?

I was thinking of buying the smaller amount since I don't have a big tub to grow it in, but perhaps the duckweed is self-regulating regarding surface area?

Edited by QandD

Pee in a cup and dump it in the duckweed tub.  Guys do the direct whizz.  Urine has lots of plant nutrients besides ammonia.  People who grow duckweed large scale all agree on the best fertilizer.  

Something like this makes a great duckweed tub.  If you ever have fry, caring for them gets very easy.  Just put them in the duckweed tub.  They can't eat duckweed, but each little duckweed plant has tiny critters in residence, and these fit in a tiny fish mouth just perfectly.

Pee in a cup and dump it in the duckweed tub.  Guys do the direct whizz.  Urine has lots of plant nutrients besides ammonia.  People who grow duckweed large scale all agree on the best fertilizer.  

Something like this makes a great duckweed tub.  If you ever have fry, caring for them gets very easy.  Just put them in the duckweed tub.  They can't eat duckweed, but each little duckweed plant has tiny critters in residence, and these fit in a tiny fish mouth just perfectly.

Not to get into the particulars of my urine, but I would be concerned about trace medications, etc. that the plants would subsequently suck up and then the fish eat. So... I'd prefer not to go the urine route, but definitely would if I didn't have some contamination concerns. It's not out of squeamishness. 

Thanks for the suggestion for the duckweed tub! I'll look for something similar at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and contemplate getting some plants.

Edited by QandD

Then dump the crud from filter cleaning and vacuuming the bottom of your tank in the duckweed tub. Some people get good growth from using a garden fertilizer, but it hasn't worked for me.

• 4 weeks later...