Betta Fin Nipping

I believe my betta is nipping at his own fins and I have no clue why as he lives in a 7 gallon heavily planted tank with a heater and a couple of shrimp yet his fins are still gradually getting worse what should I do?? I believe stress makes bettas nip at their own fins so should I move the plants around and get some floating plants or what??

Maybe rearrange the tank, & does he get live foods? Mine loves to hunt for wriggly food, & it keeps him busy looking for things.

He has killed some of the shrimp and there was some planaria (even though I didn't overfeed) and I sometimes feed him frozen bloodworms but I can start a brine shrimp culture if you would think that would help. Here's his tank (its been a while since I have updated the pics but it has grown in more)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/122144-my-7-gallon-walstad-tank-journal/

I think brine shrimp is worth trying - I haven't fed those (but hear bettas like them); I have fed mosquito larva, live bloodworms, & sometimes keep livebearers with my bettas (so lots of fry). I have also read that wingless fruit flies are very tasty to bettas, & may be easier to culture than brine shrimp.

I think brine shrimp is worth trying - I haven't fed those (but hear bettas like them); I have fed mosquito larva, live bloodworms, & sometimes keep livebearers with my bettas (so lots of fry). I have also read that wingless fruit flies are very tasty to bettas, & may be easier to culture than brine shrimp.

Thanks for the info! I actually have brine shrimp eggs on hand so I could try them.

I bought some frozen daphnia today and the betta seems to have perked up a bit but I'm doing an 80% water change tomorrow and rearranging the plants and maybe getting some more plants.

Is he in a high traffic area?  I have a rose tail bite his tail off he never would let it grow back. I think in his case it was cause it was so heavy he was having swimming problems so he ate it.

Sometimes once they start there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Is he in a high traffic area?  I have a rose tail bite his tail off he never would let it grow back. I think in his case it was cause it was so heavy he was having swimming problems so he ate it.

Sometimes once they start there is nothing you can do to stop it.

He was in my room so not too much traffic and he had loads of places to hide.