HOB filter biowheel 200

Hey guys! Just wanna ask if there's an instance that your M.Land biowheel filter suddenly just stopped for no reason?

Mine just did right now.. Just didn't hear the trickling of water on my tank.. So, I just pulled the intake tube with the impeller and replaced it back.. and voila it's working again.. Just curious if this happened to anybody who's using M.Land HOB filters here.  :blink: Tomorrow I'm goin to check the impeller maybe something got stuck up which caused the sudden stopping of the filter.. Good thing, was near the tank or else the pump might have burned out on me... :o

Do you have sand for a substrate? My Aquaclear 70 has stopped before because the impeller was clogged with sand.

No. I dont have sand as substrate. Also, my input tube is only short. I'm not using the orher half of the intake tube. I'm thinking that some filter floss from the polyfil fiber got stuck.

I have had it happen to me a couple of time's wih my Penguin 350's. I had calcium buildup in the bearing's and I just scraped it out and it was fine.

Edited by Heidi030

I have had it happen to me a couple of time's wih my Penguin 350's. I had calcium buildup in the bearing's and I just scraped it out and it was fine.

Alright cool if that's the case.. :) hope mine's not a big of a problem :)

Thanks for the answers..

Alright cool if that's the case.. :) hope mine's not a big of a problem :)

Thanks for the answers..

They should be fine.

Hey guys! Just wanna ask if there's an instance that your M.Land biowheel filter suddenly just stopped for no reason?

Mine just did right now.. Just didn't hear the trickling of water on my tank.. So, I just pulled the intake tube with the impeller and replaced it back.. and voila it's working again.. Just curious if this happened to anybody who's using M.Land HOB filters here.  :blink: Tomorrow I'm goin to check the impeller maybe something got stuck up which caused the sudden stopping of the filter.. Good thing, was near the tank or else the pump might have burned out on me... :o

I have never had a marine land filter stop outright - But you probably had some debris stopping the impeller. Don't worry about it.

However - The bio wheels stop turning for me all the time. Its simply a build up of beneficial bacteria, algae and other tank goop that accumulates on the pins of the bio-wheels themselves, on and in the small plastic notches they sit in, and on the filter housing itself, especially in the hollow that the biowheels sit in. Clean all these areas regularly and the biowheels will continue to spin. Here's a pro tip as well, clean the sides of the bio-wheel with paper towel (not the ridged grey pleated section) - but rather  the white wheel end caps. They can build up some bio-film that can cause the bio-wheels to loose balance, causing them to spin slowly or not at all. Also, keep your intake tubes clear and the filter clean in general at regular service intervals, including the impleller.

Note: a slow bio-wheel is still an effective bio-wheel, and they will slow over time due to wear. Nothing really to worry about as long as they spin.

Further, the bio-wheel may eventually groove the plastic notches it sits in, causing the bio wheel not to turn, also the pins themselves may wear down, loosing thier round shape. In both these instances you may need to replace the bio-weel or the plastic notches, which pop out and can be replaced.

Hopefully this answers your question! :)

Edited by apecentral

• 4 weeks later...

I have never had a marine land filter stop outright - But you probably had some debris stopping the impeller. Don't worry about it.

However - The bio wheels stop turning for me all the time. Its simply a build up of beneficial bacteria, algae and other tank goop that accumulates on the pins of the bio-wheels themselves, on and in the small plastic notches they sit in, and on the filter housing itself, especially in the hollow that the biowheels sit in. Clean all these areas regularly and the biowheels will continue to spin. Here's a pro tip as well, clean the sides of the bio-wheel with paper towel (not the ridged grey pleated section) - but rather  the white wheel end caps. They can build up some bio-film that can cause the bio-wheels to loose balance, causing them to spin slowly or not at all. Also, keep your intake tubes clear and the filter clean in general at regular service intervals, including the impleller.

Note: a slow bio-wheel is still an effective bio-wheel, and they will slow over time due to wear. Nothing really to worry about as long as they spin.

Further, the bio-wheel may eventually groove the plastic notches it sits in, causing the bio wheel not to turn, also the pins themselves may wear down, loosing thier round shape. In both these instances you may need to replace the bio-weel or the plastic notches, which pop out and can be replaced.

bio-wheel sometimes spin, sometimes it does not.. maybe there's a build up of BB or gunk.. I'll try to clean it...

bio-wheel sometimes spin, sometimes it does not.. maybe there's a build up of BB or gunk.. I'll try to clean it...

Exactly. And clean the bio-wheel housing as well as bio-film builds upo there too! :)

Exactly. And clean the bio-wheel housing as well as bio-film builds upo there too! :)

Got ya!! Thank you!