How do you aquascape?

QandD

I thought it might be interesting if people were to weigh in on how they decide to place their plants. I've read about the Dutch and natural styles, but I'm curious about how you make decisions about your goldfish tanks. Do you like symmetry? Do you move things around a lot? How do you vary your plants? If you like a lush look, how do you decide where to place them? For all anubias tanks, how do you like to arrange them and why?

I'm not exactly looking for tips, but my own abilities are pretty limited. After seeing all of the wonderful tanks in the planted tank photo section, I'm curious about people's processes  :painting:

Here is my tank right now, just to show my cards:

20150820_190620_zpskz63cm3j.jpg

I like to make big Anubias "trees" by gluing multiple Anubias plants to large pieces of Mopani Wood.  Nothing fancy, but they look cool and are easy to maintain and remove for cleaning :)

20150820_203045.jpg

20150820_203102.jpg

http://vid1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj600/jmetzger72/Goldfish/20150809_200328.mp4

Edited by Jared

I like to make big Anubias "trees" by gluing multiple Anubias plants to large pieces of Mopani Wood. Nothing fancy, but they look cool and are easy to maintain and remove for cleaning :)

20150820_203045.jpg

20150820_203102.jpg

http://vid1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj600/jmetzger72/Goldfish/20150809_200328.mp4

Do you bleach your anubias or use a toothbrush to clean them?

• Helper

I think planning the tank with one focal point and two smaller supporting points of interest is a great baseline technique. It draws the eye and the accent groups ground it nicely. Keeping some bare substrate and everything subsiding in height from the focal and accent points also helps immensely. Weighting the tank in one of the thirds (right, left, or center) just like in photography lends a very nice aesthetic to the whole thing. Try doing some mock ups on paper first, I find I make less mistakes that way and can buy things I notice are missing :)

I like to make big Anubias "trees" by gluing multiple Anubias plants to large pieces of Mopani Wood. Nothing fancy, but they look cool and are easy to maintain and remove for cleaning :)

20150820_203045.jpg

20150820_203102.jpg

Do you bleach your anubias or use a toothbrush to clean them?

Mostly, I use that little lady in the left bottom corner to clean them :rofl

But, once in a great while...when I do a big cleaning...I usually just use a toothbrush :)

Edited by Jared

Truthfully, ignore everything. It doesn't matter what fish I keep, I design a tank that I want to look at. I'll ask for opinions from some people because what they have to say means a lot to me, but when it all comes down to the crunch, you're the one that gets to look at it day and day out. You liking it is the most important thing. :)

Look up Takashi Amano if you're not familiar with him.  My long term plan is to have a planted tank.  It's too bad that most of the plants that Amano uses would likely not survive the Goldfish test (as claimed by experienced owners).

I have the taller stuff in back, with things sort of rising to an apex on the right side of the tank by the sponge filter & air stone; I also have projections of shorter plants traveling in rows towards the front of the tank (in the shape of the letter "m", with one extra leg & with the right leg of the m sort of curving around the sponge filter ) making 3 clearings or bays, so that the fish swim up & down the rows & there's lots of line-of-sight interruptions. So, denser plantings on the right 3/4 of the tank. Then in the last quarter, on the left end by the HOB filter intake, I have a scattering of tall, thin, airy things, in a sort of open web vertical obstacle course that the fish can swim through & around.

I used to have a number of pheasant breeding aviaries, & liked to plant things so that there was both room to move around the plantings, yet a lot of line-of-sight interruptions so the inhabitants would feel secure & be able to get away from each other. I want the plantings to wind around to make the enclosure seem bigger, rather than just take up space, if that makes sense. I'm trying to do the same thing with the fish.

It's not mature yet, & it's hard to see the patterns against the background:

NewPlants10Aug4623_zps8sfhr9we.jpg

I like to work from the sides in! high at the back and work towards the front to create depth it also helps to use a background that blends in! this also adds to the depth!...I like to mix silk and real plants to give a lush look!!!

IMG_20150626_175900_zpshgt2ppro.jpg

IMG_20150309_152554_zps7f1b381e.jpg

I hope this helps!! :-)

Edited by fingers

Look up Takashi Amano if you're not familiar with him.  My long term plan is to have a planted tank.  It's too bad that most of the plants that Amano uses would likely not survive the Goldfish test (as claimed by experienced owners).

Thanks, Mal--I'm familiar with his work. I agree that the issue is that most of his plants wouldn't work in a goldfish or low-tech tank, though I know that there are high-tech people here (and I admire them!), so I guess carpeting plants can have more success that way. :)  Like I said in my OP, I am familiar with the "styles" of 'scaping--I was just curious about the degree to which other people adhere to these kinds of rules or do their own thing. And I've been enjoying the responses so far! 

I just try to get the darn things to stay in the sand... My fish knock them all over the place. No appreciation for my efforts!

Ha! I have the same problem and have basically given up on stem plants for this very reason.  My fish are juggernauts AND diggers. 

Thanks, Mal--I'm familiar with his work. I agree that the issue is that most of his plants wouldn't work in a goldfish or low-tech tank, though I know that there are high-tech people here (and I admire them!), so I guess carpeting plants can have more success that way. :)  Like I said in my OP, I am familiar with the "styles" of 'scaping--I was just curious about the degree to which other people adhere to these kinds of rules or do their own thing. And I've been enjoying the responses so far! 

Goldfish perhaps, but certainly not low tech (have you seen Lis's 180 gallon tank?). A lot of ADA's long term tanks are only comprised of ferns, anubias and crypts. These are some of the least demanding plants available.

7ce715ac09c593229e3d1f4721dc5697.jpg

This tank in the late Takashi Amano's home is predominantly java fern. It's also over a decade old now.

I don't do live plants, just fake ones. My biggest aquascaping decisions are where to put the tiki hut, where the volcano should go, and if I want pink or purple plants (went with purple this time!). :rofl

Edited by RanchuDressing

I put tall in back and on the sides. Medium in the middle and short in the front and then hope for a jungle.  hehe  I also try to put in some large rocks/wood but that is the part I never seem to be happy with it just never looks right.

In my goldfish tank I just have a few tied to rocks.  I am having issues with not enough iron in the water and moved out most of the plants.

Edited by Hidr

I like to use River Rock's of all sizes and some plant's.

[/url]">http://c5ddaaaf-2df4-46bd-8d30-f5db2849575a_zps

[/url]">http://41f6f32a-5ecb-421a-9ad4-38ca9858fcc9_zps

Lovely! The plants look so healthy. 

Actually a lot of the plants here look super healthy. I hope I can get mine to feel as happy as possible soon, but I'm early in the E. I. dosing process.

Actually a lot of the plants here look super healthy. I hope I can get mine to feel as happy as possible soon, but I'm early in the E. I. dosing process.

Thank you so much!!!!! The plant's are plastic.

Ha! Well, they are certainly nice looking plastic plants, in my opinion.  :)

Ha! Well, they are certainly nice looking plastic plants, in my opinion.  :)

Thank you!!!! 

I personally like symmetry when I plant, so I like to bunch the big bushy plants in the corners and work inwards with smaller plants. Here's a picture of when my GF tank looked its nicest. Unfortunately it never looked this good ever again. :no: They're starting to eat even my anubias now and that signifies ultimate failure to any hope that I can keep any more plants with these guys. Here I come, plastic plants. :rofl

DSC_02091_zps8zgjejtm.jpg