Sign in to follow this  
visualkeirockstar

Pond liners

Does liner thickness matters? I have a 14.5 mil thick Pond liner. Should I return this one and get a thicker one? I want to put rocks in the pond. Although there aren't any bad reviews. I feel like it's not gonna be durable. What do you guys think?

Yes return it. I bought a cheap liner and have huge regrets. I've had to pull it twice to patch it in 3 years. I'm about to order a 45 mil epdm liner.

Did you want to make a rock bottom for the pond? If so, I would really caution you against that for one reason: Detritus buildup will be impossible to prevent or clean. There are no ponds or lakes with layered rock bottoms in nature. This is something that is seen a lot on pond forums, almost always in conjunction with a title of "Why are my fish dying?" or similar.

Edited by ChelseaM

As Chelsea said, please don't put rocks in your pond.  

I had a thick pond liner and I am glad I did. I started loosing a lot of fry/fish. They were getting the one year mark when they started vanishing. When I emptied my pond there was a pile of rock about a foot high, if not more. The good thing is it hadn't damaged my liner, the bad thing is the gaps in the rocks were full of gunk that would usually have been picked up by my pump and moved to the settlement tank to be cleaned.

I would like to add that while I agree with not having a rock bottom, I would still get a thicker liner, rocks or not.