New pond mark II

colley614

Hi guys,

I have not posted in ages. So for any of you who don't Know me I am Keith aka colley614 and I have kept fish for nealry 30 years. At one point I had a 100 litre aquarium and a 150 litre aquarium. I was also half way through building my fish house that was going to filter the water from the fish house as well as the pond during the summer months. However, the fish house was removed as the local council told me to take it down to they could do some grant work on my house, this work never took place. Anyhow, last January a friend of mine convinced me to try marine fish. I then cleaned my 100 litre tank out and converted it to a marine set up. After six months I bought a 400 litre reef set up. I am now considering selling up and cleaning the aquariums out and getting some nice orandas and/or Ranchu in them. I can't believe how much marine stuff costs, it seems to be around 10X fresh water "Your fish has a parasite £40 please." Okay, wait, WHAT!!

Anyway, after much fiddling, debating and faffing about I decided I would take out my old pond. Well, the long haired General (my Wife) pointed out the old pond was in the middle of the garden and that I should dig out the old, overgrown planter beds and put a new pond in there. So I did, but I don't think she meant remove the paths around it but I did anyway. So now I have a pond that will be 8 by 8 by 3 feet deep.

Can anyone advise me how to get some pictures up please? I have a few of the project that I wanted to upload. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open an account on Photobucket or another photo-hosting site.  Upload your pictures to the site.  Then you can simply copy and paste them to your posts.

I'm dying to see your pond, so hurry up!

Thank you, shakaho!

***Warning, Pic Heavy!!!***

Okay, so the first pics show me digging out the planters. I was nearly done by this time as I'd already knocked the walls down, dug out the roots and removed tonnes of top soil.

IMG_1142.jpg?1440031710419&1440031720329

Here is a pic of the mound of top soil. However, the picture was taken at the start of the dig. Rather than at the end.

IMG_1144.jpg?1440032026556&1440032037377

Then I put the foundations in for the wall.

IMG_1145.jpg?1440032026553&1440032037376

Then I started building the first course of bricks.

IMG_1151.jpg?1440032025144&1440032026547

IMG_1150.jpg?1440032025143&1440032026546

IMG_1154.jpg?1440032025141&1440032026536

IMG_1160.jpg?1440032025141&1440032026534

This was piled up before the build to guage the height of the wall.

IMG_1149.jpg?1440032025143&1440032026544

Building the pipework and concreting where the filter house will be.

IMG_1166.jpg?1440032025140&1440032026532

Then I put some hardcore in that me and my son made by smashing up bricks with hammers.

IMG_1167.jpg?1440032025138&1440032026522

Then I concreted the bottom.

IMG_1168.jpg?1440032478884&1440032480914

IMG_1170.jpg?1440032478884&1440032480913

IMG_1169.jpg?1440032478885&1440032480917

IMG_1171.jpg?1440032478883&1440032480912

Just as I finished smoothing the concrete over the heavens opened with rain, that's why there is lots of standing water on top of the wet concrete.

My delivery of block with my apprentice next to it.

IMG_1164.jpg?1440032478887&1440032480925

Thanks for the kind words. I have ordered the pond seal paint and I have also ordered the pump and uv. The pump is a 5000 lp/h, whilst the uv is a 36 watt one. I am also going to build some type of waterfall. I was looking at buying one but £80 for a stainless steel one is too expensive, I could buy the bricks to build it and a bag ok K1 for that price.

I hope to keep this thread as a kind of journal, so anyone who is tempted to build a pond has an idea of how it can be done. My last pond was submerged. The problem with submerged ponds in my garden is that the water table is about a foot down some days. Last time I built a pond it was filling with water over night. When I went out the next day to continue the pond would be about two feet deep in water. When I sealed the pond, the sealer came away from the render because of the water coming out from behind the walls. That is why this time I have gone for an emerged pond.

Edited by colley614

Thank, Jared!

The enthusiasm from you guys is really helping me get motivated. I put another 8 hours into the pond today.

So I got a few deliveries today, yay! The first was my new ponp pump. I ordered this from Jebao as they make really good gear for marine aquariums and this pond pump is even marine rated. What I have found with Jebao is that the gear they make is usually in the price bracket with the cheap gear. However, performance wise they are usually up with the top kit. For example the Jebao wavemaker the wp40 is about £40 but it performs as well as the mp40 which is well over £100.

IMG_1172.jpg

Here is the pump itself.

IMG_1173.jpg

What I found cool about this pump is that when you open the casing up, the pump can actually be removed from the casing and plumbed straight onto any pipework. There are a minor alteration that needs to be done by changing the intake to open as it's set to pull in from surrounding water instead of through the pipe. that is just a flick of the switch, anyway, check this bad boy out!

IMG_1174.jpg

Cool or what?

So, just as I was getting bored tinkering with my new pump, the doorbell goes and it's another delivery..

IMG_1178.jpg

Looking awesome this UV, can't wait to get all this stuff up and running. Anyhow, check out this bit of kit..

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

Work wise I made a load more hardcore and started to layout where the filtler house will go. 

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

It was then concreted.

IMG_1177.jpg

I then started to add the next course of block.

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

I hope you guys are enjoying the photos and updates as much as I am building it and sharing my progress with you!

Looking good!

I haven't seen a valve like that on the pipe from the bottom drain before.  What kind is it?

Sorry I missed your question.It is called a valterra slide valve.

Here is a clip.

Edited by colley614

Nice.  They are available here, but most people use ball valves.  

I really appreciate seeing how you build with the concrete blocks that are  so different from ours.  I've seen the finished product, but not how it's put together.

• Helper

Ah I am so excited to see this all done. I really wish I had a nice big area where I could build my own pond but I don't have much of a yard so I just have a small premade pond lol. It's looking awesome!

Nice.  They are available here, but most people use ball valves.  

I really appreciate seeing how you build with the concrete blocks that are  so different from ours.  I've seen the finished product, but not how it's put together.

I read that ballvalves on the bottom drain become a problem over time. That's why these are used for bottom drains.

I'm still planning the filtration through in my head. I'm thinking out of the drain into a 15 litre bucket with holes drilled through the sides with white sponge in there to catch pond waste, then out the sides into the first 250 litre barrel where the water trickles through about 25 litres of bio balls and out and through into the second barrel. In here I was thinking of having a fluidised bed, with 25 litres of k1 floating around in it with the return pump at the bottom. Out the pump, into the UV and through a water fall, back into the pond.

Hi Koko, thanks!

Edited by colley614

That's a lot of filtration!  

Have you considered a

(This guy is fun to listen to.) for your initial  mechanical filtration?  They are easy to make and greatly reduce the amount of cleaning needed for the biofilters.

That's a lot of filtration!  

Have you considered a

(This guy is fun to listen to.) for your initial  mechanical filtration?  They are easy to make and greatly reduce the amount of cleaning needed for the biofilters.

That's a really interesting idea. The only problem I am faced with is I have a 4 inch drain pipe so I can't get a bulkhead for the drain to go through the barrel, I was thinking of taking the drain up to top top of the barrel and then down. I'll have to have a think how to do it.

I forgot to mention my pond sealer came yesterday!

IMG_1189.jpg

The pond is currently about an inch deep in water due to the rain. It has rained non-stop for 2 days.