Sign in to follow this  
AllieCalhoun

Our black demekin Tris is not doing well...

Taryl, my container of API General Cure says the active ingredients are 250 mg Metro and 75 mg prazi per packet. You might be looking at another product.

Sorry, that was my auto correct on my iPad. It does have metro, which is why I'd suggest using it. The dose is on the lower side but a fourteen day course of it should help. I worry about it being inhibitory enough on its own. I'll edit that post in a moment - my iPad thinks it's smarter than me :)

I am sorry it took me so long to reply, but I had to do some research about that methylene blue.

Colombo FMC-50 contains malachite, methylene blue en formaldehyde, according to this website.

But at AAP its much cheaper.

Just so I understand correctly: the recommended course of treatment (within my means) is API General Cure combined with methylene blue? Are those two compatible? And what dosage do I need? I think its best to treat the whole tank, since other fish also have weird little symptomes.

Don't do the meth blue that is combined with the formaldehyde and malachite green - the last two are extremely toxic and harsh, they will work but shouldn't be used as a first line treatment, with ANY aquarium salt, and on any weakened fish.

Straight Methylene blue should be dosed as per the label. Otherwise if it is unlabeled from the chemist please do 1 teaspoon per ten gallons and keep the lights off, it is light sensitive. All carbon should be out of the filter, too. Same with the General Cure - dose as the label indicates :)

Keep both going for a two week course and report back. Do full water changes every two days before redosing the medication, since this could cause some bumps to your filter.

The last part I dont understand...

Do you mean I have to change the water every two days for two weeks? or just after the treatment?

If you mean the first, then I think its better to treat Tris outside of the tank.

Yes, keep up water changes every two days in the main tank. And no, just treating Tris isn't a good idea. It's not permanent, just over the course of treatment. You can technically do less if you're watching your water chemistry like a hawk and change at the first sign of ammonia, because these treatments can not only mess with the filters but accumulating the meds in the water column makes dosing at the proper concentration difficult :)

What do you mean with that last thing about the water column?

I had a couple of busy days, but in the mean time I have been thinking and I am still not sure. I wondered why that is. I think that I doubt that its a good idea to treat with so much stuff at once (anti-bacterial, anti-parasite and that blue stuff). Wouldnt it be better to start with an antibiotic (another one then the one we've tried) and then maybe after that still something against parasites or something to build their immune? Wouldnt that be less harsh on the fish and the water?

Edit: I was putting stuff in my shoppingchart on AAP to see how much the cost would be, but we have a tank of roughly 160 gallons, and one package of API general is good for 100 gallons. So to use that for two weeks I need at least 4 packages, assuming I only change the water weekly. I added that to the shoppingcart and then the shippingcosts are trough the roof... I would have to pay 80 euros... I really care about my fish, but we really dont have that kind of money...

Edited by AllieCalhoun

We gave you our treatments, which are based on our experiences with the symptoms you are describing, combined with environmental factors. Given the multiple fish affected in various ways, a synergistic approach increases the efficacy of each med offered, all of which are quite gentle on their own. If the treatments are all too expensive, okay.

You choose whether or not to listen to us, as a variety of treatments were proposed - they're your fish and you should do what you believe is best. Good luck to you.

Edited by Arctic Mama

As for shipping, email them directly and see if you can get an adjusted quote with a slower shipping speed or smaller package. They may be able to oblige. I order things internationally all the time and rarely is a medium box more than about 40 USD, especially if it is shipped through USPS instead of FedEx or UPS.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I am sorry it took me so long to reply, but I just got a new job and its very timeconsuming.

I called the biggest supplier of anything aquarium related, and I learned that a lot of medicine such as the antibiotics in API general are forbidden in Holland, because we have a very high standard for our drinking water. He offered me the best antibiotic he had available, something that wasnt even available the webshop, and I did two three-day cures of that, as recommended. Thats over now. The symptoms arent gone, but at least I did something, which feels better than doing nothing.

What can I do now to reinforce their immunesystem? Something with methylene blue?

Try probiotics in gel food. I put probiotics in repashy gel food every time I make a batch. The probiotics will help to repopulate the beneficial bacteria in their gut thus boosting their immune system.

I use this probiotic http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NGS3XY/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1442765628&sr=1&keywords=Fish+probiotics

Many people in koko's use any probiotics capsule meant for humans.

Guys, thanks for all the help, but I have to inform you that Tris died this night. The antibiotics cured his skinproblem but that wasnt enough.

Sweet thing to tell: whenever a fish dies, our ryukin Bob goes into a corner and faces the wall. He has a very clear way of mourning. Last time it lasted three days. Poor guy...

I'm sorry for your loss ???? swim in peace Tris.

I'm so sorry. RIP, little one!

Thanks guys. I got him in November 2012, from some teenager who saved him from a fishbowl. He was really skinny and small and he turned into a beautiful one.

R.I.P. Tris (November 2012 - September 30, 2015)

574228mieke91_0_82_img_6006.jpg

Such a handsome goldfish!