Sign in to follow this  
visualkeirockstar

Pond help

I want to make a new pond. Do you think I could use concrete as a underlayer? I'm worried about mice doing damage to the liner. What do you guys do to prevent damage from mice chewing on pond liners?

Have you had that issue in the past?

I've not heard of this problem.  Have others in your area had this happen?

Have you had that issue in the past?

They borrowed under my old pond and it's made of concrete too but this time I'm doing pond liner. I googled this and people have had problems mice chewing through their ponds. Edited by visualkeirockstar

I'm not sure if this will help, but having lived in CA by orange orchards we had lots of rodents running our fence line. I learned that they hate mint. Is it possible to plant mint around your pond? The mint should like the moisture but doesn't like all day sun. If there is shade some of the day it's a pretty hardy plant. 

I'd like to help you, but I have no idea what your pond plans are, other than it will have a liner.  How big a pond do you plan (volume and dimensions)?  All below ground,  partially above ground, or above ground?  What type of soil do you have?  For example, I have pure fine sand (locally called sugar sand)  in which the sides of any hole you dig will collapse.  Digging a pond in peninsular FL means you must dig a hole with a much larger area then the intended pond and then build cement block walls up to (at least) ground level.  

If in-ground, are you planning a bottom drain and filter pit?

I'd like to help you, but I have no idea what your pond plans are, other than it will have a liner. How big a pond do you plan (volume and dimensions)? All below ground, partially above ground, or above ground? What type of soil do you have? For example, I have pure fine sand (locally called sugar sand) in which the sides of any hole you dig will collapse. Digging a pond in peninsular FL means you must dig a hole with a much larger area then the intended pond and then build cement block walls up to (at least) ground level.

If in-ground, are you planning a bottom drain and filter pit?

It's gonna be 7feet by 4feet 2 feet deep. I decided just to have the liner. They seem to be gone now but hopefully they won't come back.

I used concrete breeze blocks when I made my pond! I then lined it with soft sand! then placed the liner!!..it has been set up for over 25 years and still going strong!!!...with the original liner!!!.... good luck with your project!! :-)

Image0500_zpsectd0byr.jpg