Jenste's Jungle

jenste

Ok, so I had a LOT of fun setting up the decor....I will probably tweak it here or there during water changes but I wanted a lush looking tank and my live plants just weren't growing fast enough to make up for the nibbles my fish love to give.

I still have all the live plants in the first picture, now mixed in with silk plants.  

Before:

P8150828_zpsyl3tzkh1.jpg

After:

P8150836_zpsm2e7sldi.jpg

Very very pleased with it so far. They LOVE going in and out of the plants and hopefully this will give my lilies time to regenerate as my oranda loves shredding the leaves. 

It's beautiful!! Great job!

I've been thinking of doing something similar but haven't gotten around to it. One day! :P

Thank you!   I found most of the silk plants at either the dollar store or Michael's Craft store...Some soaking, trimming and voila!  I was able to buy so much more for less money  than what I could have found in a pet store

Beautiful!!!!!

Thanks Heidi!

Just trying to keep up with some of the tanks I have been seeing on here lol.   I needed to take it to the next level

Absolutely - just have to convince my fish to stop eating them lol

I love your jungle! I use to only keep anubias in my goldfish tank because my fish would chew everything else. Now that my fish are older, I'm able to put guppy grass into my tank which is a delicate floating plant. The goldfish don't chew at the guppy grass at all. Maybe over time your goldfish will eventually stop trying to eat plants. :idont In the meantime, great strategy to fill in with silk plants!

Thank you! It completely changed the room - much more impressive to my family members who didn't understand "just a goldfish tank" - now they love it. The green really pops out the orange and bronze colors

Just make sure they are silk, with no glitter etc and I soaked them with a mild bleach solution for dust etc.   Make sure if they have wiring on the inside it is all sealed - I stripped the wiring out  but I had aquarium safe sealant on hand just in case

I think it's possible that young goldfish are more prone to plant eating? It seems to me that more of the really impressively planted tanks have adult goldfish in them. When one of my fish was in a tank as a baby, he bulldozed through everything, but he hasn't done anything but occasionally dig up a plant since being moved back indoors at 2 years old.

I'll have to see how they do as they grow, they are still fairly young ranging from 9g to 38g .   I am hoping they outgrow this....part of what drives me crazy if half the time they are not even EATING the plants, it more seems like they enjoy shredding them  :doh11:

Thank you!  I will probably tinker a little bit but for now I am quite happy.  I have been hating the nearly empty look

• Helper

The tank looks beautiful.

I couldn't tell the fake plants from the real ones.

Nice job.

Ditto! They blend in so seamlessly. I would worry about the, leeching but soaking and removing the wire probably makes them safer than half of what is sold for aquaria :D

Really, it's gorgeous and looks entirely organic.

Nice job.

Nice job.

Ditto! They blend in so seamlessly. I would worry about the, leeching but soaking and removing the wire probably makes them safer than half of what is sold for aquaria :D

Really, it's gorgeous and looks entirely organic.

Thank you guys!  I have more than a few cuts as I am not the best with tools but my husband helped with the thicker pieces that were a bit more stubborn - Once I had it in my mind that I was redoing the tank on Sunday there was no stopping me!

I love it! Its beautiful!!

Thank you FishPhin!!   

Wow! looks great :thumbup2:

Thanks Cdionne!

Wow looks amazing! Great job

Thank you FishyMandy

Very pretty.  Now stop giving me idea. lol

Thank you - I blame you guys on the forum for making me want to improve my tank...after seeing so many gorgeous ones here mine just wasn't meeting standards anymore!