Butterfly telescope Is less active and less interested in food

Hyzong Lor

These pass few day my butterfly telescope seems less active and doesnt run up to the tank for food anymore. Noticed her spitting out some food occasionally, she still eats though. I was thinking it might be flukes but i'm not sure. no new fish were introduced into the tank at all.

Also I just had a death in the tank this morning, it was a pearlscale of mine, it seems it might have been due to being egg bound? before death the pearlscale was eating and acting as usual.

All of my other goldies are as acting and eating as usual.

any opinions are welcomed

Hi, I am so sorry your fish is not doing well. The mods will look at this, but to help them figure what could be wrong, please copy and past this and fill it out to the best of your ability... Hope they are ok :)

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
Edited by Cdionne77

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)   0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)         0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)       10 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? AIP, drops
      • * Water temperature? 75 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 G, 2 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? marineland 40 G (?)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? every week, 25%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

3 days ago, 25%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size?

5, 3 frys (inch long); pearl scale (2-3 in); butterfly

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners?

prime

• * What do you feed your fish and how often?

1-2 times a day

• * Any new fish added to the tank?

none

• * Any medications added to the tank?

none

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

frys has been prazi, butterfly and pearlscale: salt

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Less active, scared, loss of interest in food, occasional spitting of food. (still eats.)

Please start by reading our guidelines.  I think you will  see why I suspect your problem is water quality.  Fortunately, you can quickly correct the situation with water changes.

Would you please test the pH of your tap water and report it?

• * Ammonia Level(Tap)        .5
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)               0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)               0
  • PH                                        7

• Helper

I'd normally suggest water quality but from your current params it looks fine. However with that many fish in a smaller tank it can become an issue quickly. As a temporary home while the fry grow out its probably not the end of the world, but a tank double the size of your current one or splitting the Goldies up into two 40 gallon tanks would probably be a better solution long term :)

When was the last time you treated for flukes? (Much of that behavior could be explained by the fluke load increasing to where it bothers the fish, in which case a schedule of prazi and salt would likely be beneficial to the wellbeing of your fish :))

Edited by Arctic Mama

I think last time i treated for flukes was roughly about 4 months ago, just used salt not prazi. I do have prazi though. should i treat the frys too? noone else is having these symptoms except her.

Also, yeah once the fry are a tad bigger they'll be moved :).... or sold off...though its hard to give up babies you raised lol.

Thanks, I wanted to make sure a pH issue wouldn't make larger water changes risky.  Fortunately your pH appears stable.  As you realize, when stocking 1 fish per 20 gallons, we recommend a minimum 50% weekly water change.  Even though some of your fish are small,  you should change more water than that minimum recommendation.  Actually larger water changes accomplish much the same as a larger tank.  

I think last time i treated for flukes was roughly about 4 months ago, just used salt not prazi. I do have prazi though. should i treat the frys too? noone else is having these symptoms except her.

Also, yeah once the fry are a tad bigger they'll be moved :).... or sold off...though its hard to give up babies you raised lol.

Prazi teats for flukes.  Salt does not.  We include salt in the quarantine procedure hoping it will help prevent infection in wounds left by dying flukes.  Prazi will not harm your fry, and if a tank mate has flukes, they do too, so treat all of the fish.

I recommend you begin by doing a large water change, removing as much water as you can without removing the fish.  Add prazipro at the dosage recommended on bottle and 0.1% salt (1 teaspoon per gallon).  Return the telescope to the tank.

In one week, repeat this treatment, starting with the large water change.

Keep us informed about how the fish look and act during this two week period.  

Thanks, I wanted to make sure a pH issue wouldn't make larger water changes risky.  Fortunately your pH appears stable.  As you realize, when stocking 1 fish per 20 gallons, we recommend a minimum 50% weekly water change.  Even though some of your fish are small,  you should change more water than that minimum recommendation.  Actually larger water changes accomplish much the same as a larger tank.  

Prazi teats for flukes.  Salt does not.  We include salt in the quarantine procedure hoping it will help prevent infection in wounds left by dying flukes.  Prazi will not harm your fry, and if a tank mate has flukes, they do too, so treat all of the fish.

I recommend you begin by doing a large water change, removing as much water as you can without removing the fish.  Add prazipro at the dosage recommended on bottle and 0.1% salt (1 teaspoon per gallon).  Return the telescope to the tank.

In one week, repeat this treatment, starting with the large water change.

Keep us informed about how the fish look and act during this two week period.  

Okay! I'll get to it. thank you