Wanting to buy a pearscale goldfish from petco: Concerns?

yogosans14

Ok so I went to petco today and saw a really good selection of goldfish. They are all small of course but they all look healthy and ich free, heck I even saw a telescoped butterfly goldfish which is surprising.

Anywho I want to get this little 2 inch pearscale it's so cute!yes it will be in a cycled 20 gallon tank (I'm actually getting a 55 gallon through Craigslist this month for a great deal so I can get another pearscale).

I really don't feel like paying 100$ through a breeder online but since the Pearscales stay smaller then the other varieties and get swim bladder easier my concern is it if it comes through a bad blood line or has bad genetics it might not grow and stay a puny 2-3 inches.

What has been your expirence with petco fish?should I go for it?i really wanna save one from a kid who will just stick it in a bowl.

Pearlscales do not stay any smaller than any other variety of goldfish. All goldfish have the potential to grow large. Genetics play a role in this, as does the quality of the care they receive. (food, etc. are a part of that.)

Pet store fish, even those from Petco, have just as good of a chance at life as the ones from expensive breeders. They also have the same potential to get large, so I would not write them off in any way. I personally had the great experience of having an Oranda from a local pet shop grow around 5x her original size in less than 2 years. That, I believe, was due to the care that those here at Koko's taught to me. This included quarantine procedures to make sure she was clear of flukes and anything else that would ail her.

As long as no fish in the tank has anything below, go for it:

• bottom sitting
  • clamped fins (any fins)
  • visible signs of parasites or other illness (spots, worms, fungus, etc.)
  • fin-flicking
  • flashing
  • lethargy
  • physical injury
  • dead fish in with the live ones
  • multiple fish gulping at the surface
  • unsanitary conditions

You can certainly find a nice Pearlscale at Petco.  For a good quality fish, I would look for a nice round body with even scales, good coloration, paired anal fins, and a fully divided tail (4 lobes).  Watch him swim for a bit and make sure he can maintain balance when he stops.  Also check that the eyes are not damaged and that his breathing looks regular.  

I would still plan to treat him in a QT with 0.3% salt first and then 2-4 rounds of Prazi as most chain stores have pathogens in their systems even if the fish aren't showing symptoms.  The moderators can help you with this once you start a thread :)

Edited by Jared

My two orandas come from PetSmart. I think where PS and Petco get their fish is similar in quality. With pristine water conditions, low stocking levels, a lot of filteration, and high quality food, my goldfish have gotten quite big. Much bigger than I thought they would for fish that came from PetSmart.

If you have two pearlscales in a 55 gallon, that would be plenty of space for them.

I would get a fish from Petco, and I would following Koko's guidelines for healthy goldfish (see link below). You'll want to make sure and following the recommended quarantine procedure. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114492-how-to-quarantine-new-fish/

You'll want to follow the QT procedure for "For Fish Purchased from a Questionable Source." That would give your fish from Petco a good chance of growing up healthy.

Well I got him lol I couldnt resist he is so cute and chubby. Im acclimating him right now.

LOL  I know the feeling.  It's the same whenever I see a good deal for used tanks.

Well I got him lol I couldnt resist he is so cute and chubby. Im acclimating him right now.

Hard to resist a fish like that - congrats! Now we need pictures :)

IMG_0429_zpsaqr27hlk.jpg

Hes in a holding tank for 24 hours I just want to make sure he doesn't have any swim bladder issues or something. Hes doing fine atm swimming around and thinking the bubbles are food lol.

I will quaranitine for sure.

Do you guys think I should have a heater set to 78 degrees at all times?I read it helps with there digestion. Its cooling down here and overnight the temp in my tanks will drop from 78 to about 72.

Whether to heat the tank it not is open for debate -- some folks do, some don't. I'm in the "do" category, particularly when it comes to pearlscales, as they are prone to constipation and floatiness due to their overly round bodies, and I've found that a warmer, stable temperature helps them digest their food better.

I also think that although, as Chelsea said, any goldfish has potential to grow large, pearlscales are indeed one of the slowest-growing goldfish varieties and do, on average, remain smaller than many other breeds. It's rare to grow those softball-sized pearlscales you see online in home aquaria. Those sizes are typically achieved via growth in ponds.

Whether to heat the tank it not is open for debate -- some folks do, some don't. I'm in the "do" category, particularly when it comes to pearlscales, as they are prone to constipation and floatiness due to their overly round bodies, and I've found that a warmer, stable temperature helps them digest their food better.

I also think that although, as Chelsea said, any goldfish has potential to grow large, pearlscales are indeed one of the slowest-growing goldfish varieties and do, on average, remain smaller than many other breeds. It's rare to grow those softball-sized pearlscales you see online in home aquaria. Those sizes are typically achieved via growth in ponds.

Oh ok thanks.

Will they get atleast 6"?

Will they get atleast 6"?

In just body length, not including tail? Doubtful. Pearlscales channel most of their growing energy into their bulk/roundness, not length.

Edited by RanchuDressing

Looks like a little clementine with fins!!! Very cute

Adorable! I saw one just like that the other day in my LFS and wished I had the room to take it home. :heart

I guess it would be important to mention, on the topic of the fish pushing its growth outward instead of lengthwise, that the fish will put out as much waste as a longer fish. This falls into the same category as the Single-Tail vs. Fancy Water Amount Debate. A fish that weighs 200 grams puts out the same average waste whether it's a 4" long fancy or a 6" long comet. They require the same minimum water space, in part because they need that water space to dilute the waste until the filter can take care of it. So just because a pearlscale may look smaller, that doesn't mean we can treat it any differently than a longer goldfish regarding space.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that we need to see growth in all directions as a form of growth, not just how long a fish can get. This is especially true with varieties that are known for being 'fat', like pearlscales.

Edited by ChelseaM

I guess it would be important to mention, on the topic of the fish pushing its growth outward instead of lengthwise, that the fish will put out as much waste as a longer fish. This falls into the same category as the Single-Tail vs. Fancy Water Amount Debate. A fish that weighs 200 grams puts out the same average waste whether it's a 4" long fancy or a 6" long comet. They require the same minimum water space, in part because they need that water space to dilute the waste until the filter can take care of it. So just because a pearlscale may look smaller, that doesn't mean we can treat it any differently than a longer goldfish regarding space.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that we need to see growth in all directions as a form of growth, not just how long a fish can get. This is especially true with varieties that are known for being 'fat', like pearlscales.

To add to what Chelsea said,  the "average"  fancy has twice the mass/volume of a common or comet  with the same body length.  The very short fat  fancies, like pearlscales or ryukins, have the same mass as a common or comet with three times their body length.    I'm talking about averages, of course, since fish within a variety can differ quite a bit in body shape.

So considering this,  looking at standard (body) length,  a 3" pearlscale = 4.5" fantail = 9" comet in volume/mass.  

So a 6" s.l. pearlscale would be the same size as an 18" s.l. comet.   I believe that comet would  break the Guinness  record for longest goldfish.  Yet, you can find 6" s.l. or larger pearlscales at a large goldfish show.  

Very short, fat fancy goldfish have little bend to their bodies at maturity.  Fish like this can turn around more easily in wider tanks.

Sorry to hear you lost him. :(  Good chance it was anchor worm - there was a little pearlscale with an anchor worm on him at our local Petco, & I hear that anchor worms are a big problem in pet store fish this year (in the USA, anyhow).