Sign in to follow this  
shellbell4ever

Contemplating Quitting

Hello all, Sorry I haven't been around again for a bit...But I have been having a lot of issues with my fibro and chronic pain,so much so that I feel my fish are being neglected :( I really love my fish,but dread tank cleaning anymore and sometimes go more than a week between cleaning :( I have seen no sign of stress on the fish except for the occasional frayed fins on Ayra from Bran's relentless chasing (another topic) my ammonia's always been in check,but I do worry ;)

So what I have been thinking is giving up fish keeping,But as my husband has pointed out it's not going to get any easier than it is now having the python w/c rather than buckets (thanks god ;)) or drastically downsizing or perhaps getting less demanding type of fish,so I come to you for advise??any suggestions would be appreciated :) I currently have a

55 gallon with 2 ac 70's,1 heater,2 small air stones,glass lids with led lighting, 

3 fancy fantails,1 albino bristles nose,1 mystery snail,4 live plants...

I do very much enjoy my fish and tank especially after cleaning ;) but the pain after is awful too :(

Thanks in advance ;)

IM so sorry to hear your not feeling well!!!! I wish you the BEST!!!!

One word -- Pond.  You can have a 100 gallon pond on a tiny patio.  It requires very little maintenance.  I can help you plan a simple container pond and will even come and help you build a filter and put it all together if you wish.

If that isn't an option, I'll bet you can hire a youngster  to come and do the cleaning under your supervision.

One word -- Pond.  You can have a 100 gallon pond on a tiny patio.  It requires very little maintenance.  I can help you plan a simple container pond and will even come and help you build a filter and put it all together if you wish.

If that isn't an option, I'll bet you can hire a youngster  to come and do the cleaning under your supervision.

That is so sweet, Sharon.  :D 

I was just talking with my 12 year old son about that very thing.  He needs to earn money and I need to do less around this house.  :teehee  Perfect combo.  I also have fibro and while I'm doing ok now as far as pain *knocks on wood* I think if I teach him and his sister now how to do it, when I really do need their help I'll be glad they can handle it for me.

:bighug

Just do the water changes.  Not sure what else you may be doing to "clean" but that is the only thing you have to do.  Maybe you can talk hubby into helping more. Better yet teach the kids. lol

Edited by Hidr

One word -- Pond. You can have a 100 gallon pond on a tiny patio. It requires very little maintenance. I can help you plan a simple container pond and will even come and help you build a filter and put it all together if you wish.

If that isn't an option, I'll bet you can hire a youngster to come and do the cleaning under your supervision.

That is a very sweet offer :) My hubby is curently building me a patio and has already agreed to a water feature ;) maybe that is the answer to my prayers ;) at least something to consider ;)

Just do the water changes. Not sure what else you may be doing to "clean" but that is the only thing you have to do. Maybe you can talk hubby into helping more. Better yet teach the kids. lol

Thanks Angie,I guess its the whole process,the unrolling and re rolling of the aqueion w/c,the wiping down of the tank,inside and out,the removal of the filter basket and rinsing of the media,cleaning up the loose gravel from the planters,the whole process usually takes at least an hour sometimes more on my feet bending and stretching ;)

Sorry to hear you are going through that. I know what it's like as I have lupus and it gets to be very overwhelming to take care of mine as well at times. The pond idea sounds nice. I hope you are able to figure something out so you can keep your babies and also not wear yourself out.  :hug

Hubby has agreed a pond for the patio might be a solution :) Sharon i will be seeking your advise for filtration when we get there ;) thanks everyone :)

I hope this works out for you. It sounds like the perfect solution.

Just do the water changes. Not sure what else you may be doing to "clean" but that is the only thing you have to do. Maybe you can talk hubby into helping more. Better yet teach the kids. lol

Thanks Angie,I guess its the whole process,the unrolling and re rolling of the aqueion w/c,the wiping down of the tank,inside and out,the removal of the filter basket and rinsing of the media,cleaning up the loose gravel from the planters,the whole process usually takes at least an hour sometimes more on my feet bending and stretching ;)

wow im lazy. i never do any of that. clean filters with hubbies help when they get slow.  only wipe down the outside but not the same day I do water changes, normally the next morning.  And rarely the inside.  Pleco needs something to eat and he does a good job.

PS my pond is a lot more work then the fish tanks.  It gets a lot of gunk in it.  So it means catching fish and tearing it down ever few month to get all the gunk out of it.  Then refilling and replacing the fish.  So far I do this in the spring and again in the fall.

Glad to hear you'll be able to keep your fish :D Good Luck with the pond :D

Aw hun ::hugs:: 

contemplating this is never a fun situation - I went through it myself a few years back when life situations became too much to balance with my tanks. I have reset up but it just isn't the same as the first crew. 

I hope that the porch pond helps or if your son can give a hand.  Our finned ones do become family members

Yay!  Will you have a container pond?  

Yay! Will you have a container pond?

I'm not sure what his plans are yet ;) i guess he was planning something all along but didn't realize how close to quitting i was until he saw i posted something on fb ;) it was going to be a surprise lol

I hope  your plans make everything easy for you and still be able to enjoy your fish.

I'm really glad you are going to be able to keep your fish.  I really think being able to having something you enjoy so much is so important when you are dealing with pain.   I know my dogs and fish keep me going even when I would rather just sit around and in the long run it really is  better to just keep moving.  That's exciting about the pond.  So fun to plan and set up! :)

PS my pond is a lot more work then the fish tanks.  It gets a lot of gunk in it.  So it means catching fish and tearing it down ever few month to get all the gunk out of it.  Then refilling and replacing the fish.  So far I do this in the spring and again in the fall.

Wow.  I never do any of that.  :rofl 

Lately I've let a bit of gunk stay on the bottom, as ever since I turned my UV light off, the hair algae has stopped growing and things seem in balance. I vacuum the bottom with a 5 gallon wet vac I bought on Craigslist for $20.  I don't remove the fish, but distract them to the opposite end with food.  Pond chores are basically cleaning out the bio filter (once a quarter) and changing the mechanical filter's media every other month. 

Aw, good luck with your project. There is so much good advice and inspirational photos in the pond section.  

Total maintenance on a ~100 gallon stock tank (suitable for up to 5 adult fish) set up like the one here with the overflow pipe emptying on the grass/garden. (To be honest, you can get by with a lot less work than this.  I've  described ideal care.)

Daily:  Add prime to the clean water reservoir and fill it with a hose.    Time ~ 2 minutes.  Exertion -- moving the hose end to and from the container, turning the tap on and off.

Weekly: Flush filter and rinse prefilter.  

Unplug pump.  

Put a hose on the dump valve of the filter and open the tap.  

While filter drains, remove the pump from the pond, clean the sponge prefilter, put it back in the pump and return the pump to the pond.

Close the dump valve when the filter has drained and remove the hose.

Plug in the pump.

Time ~ 10 minutes.   Exertion -- Bending to manipulate the dump valve and hose and remove and replace the pump.  (Bending really makes my back ache if I do it for any length of time, but this is pretty quick.)

Every month or two clean the impeller and impeller casing on the pump.  This is not different from doing the same on an aquarium pump.

2 to 4 times a year, depending on how fastidious you are.  Clean the filter.  Remove the medium, rinse the gunk out of it, hose out the filter container and put it back together.  A yucky job that takes about  10-15 minutes.  A good job for a husband.

Optional -- siphon the bottom of the tank.  This system uses a "river flow" where clean water enters the pond at one end from the filter and clean water reservoir, and dirty water leaves at the other end via the pump and the overflow.  As a result, debris accumulates at the "dirty" end of the pond, so siphoning takes little time.   

I also know that Python makes a very long siphon tube, so you don't need to be shoulder-deep in the pond to do any siphoning. I have one of the 24" ones, and it is a breeze. :) I am sure one could be made from PVC that is even longer. All you'd need was a piece of pipe, cap that fit it, dremmel or hole-bit for your power drill, PVC glue, and a hose fitting.

I use a plain piece of 3/4" clear vinyl tubing  from HD or Lowes   1" would be better so the big snails don't clog it.   It has enough rigidity that I don't need to reach into the water much.

IM so glad you will be able to keep your fish!!!!!

Thanks for all the info i will be printing it up for quick reference for hubby  ;)  lol