ICH explosion in the main tank

Cdionne77

Ich can survive in the media without a host for 3-10 days, in the typical tropical temperature range. Colder temps equal longer survival. Salt the snot out of that tank as Lisa has advised. I'd raise the temp slower than the salt, myself, but so long as the fish are tolerating it just using the nylon diffuser with the salt and bumping the temp up a degree every two hours or so should be sufficient.

You're in good hands with Lisa and Jared. I'm sorry you're dealin with more tank drama!

Thank you... When it hits the fan.. it really hits the fan with my fish... They like keeping me on my toes  :teehee

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.. 

W/C, and plants are QT's heater is set to 80F and .03% salt added at once in pantyhose to 75 gal tank for a total of 284g x 3.... That was a lot of salt :yikes

So how long do I let the salt and heat go on for?  :idont

And my husband came home from work saw my pantyhose inside the fish tank...said ummmm yeahhhh.... I'll be in the man cave if you need me

Ok.. 

W/C, and plants are QT's heater is set to 80F and .03% salt added at once in pantyhose to 75 gal tank for a total of 284g x 3.... That was a lot of salt :yikes

And my husband came home from work saw my pantyhose inside the fish tank...said ummmm yeahhhh.... I'll be in the man cave if you need me

At 80 F, the Ich in the plant tank should finish it's life cycle and die in a week without a fish host.  But, I would leave them in there for 2 weeks while you salt the main tank to be safe.  The main tank should remain at 0.3% salt for 2 weeks at 73 F or at least 10 days after the last white spot is gone.  

The Ich should start to improve in a few days, but watch the progress of the red spots and update the moderating team if it gets worse.  This may need to be treated with the Kanaplex if the salt doesn't clear it.

Ok.. 

Ok.. 

At 80 F, the Ich in the plant tank should finish it's life cycle and die in a week without a fish host.  But, I would leave them in there for 2 weeks while you salt the main tank to be safe.  The main tank should remain at 0.3% salt for 2 weeks at 73 F or at least 10 days after the last white spot is gone.  

The Ich should start to improve in a few days, but watch the progress of the red spots and update the moderating team if it gets worse.  This may need to be treated with the Kanaplex if the salt doesn't clear it.

Ok sounds good... My other concern is that I am leaving the state next thursday and returning the flowing tuesday. I was planning on doing a huge WC the night before and fasting them while I was gone, but this was before all this happened. Should I just stick with the plan and keep the salt at .03% and heat?

Looking at you medicine cabinet, my only recommendation would be to ditch the tetracycline and get some Furan-2 from Amazon.

Ahh yes. I ordered the wrong one before and never remembered to order the Furan-2.... Thanks for the reminder, I'm ordering it now  :thumbup2:

Looking at you medicine cabinet, my only recommendation would be to ditch the tetracycline and get some Furan-2 from Amazon.

Ahh yes. I ordered the wrong one before and never remembered to order the Furan-2.... Thanks for the reminder, I'm ordering it now  :thumbup2:

Furan-2 is great for external infections and can be combined with Kanaplex for nasty cases of Columnaris, etc.  

Fingers crossed for you! I just went through an ICH spell myself. It is a pain in the rear!!! 

I think your tank will be fine for the few days you are gone.  Hopefully when you return you will see spotless fish :)

If you were close I'd fish sit for you lol!   

Where abouts in New England are you?

So Sushi is in a QT, then you have a 20 that he is going into later.  Is there another fish in the 20?  If not, it might be easier to quarantine/treat him in the 20 with 0.3% salt and then Prazi rather than maintaining 3 tanks plus the plant quarantine tank :idont

If you were close I'd fish sit for you lol!

Where abouts in New England are you?

Cape Cod lol
Yeah just a bit of a drive... Lol!

So Sushi is in a QT, then you have a 20 that he is going into later.  Is there another fish in the 20?  If not, it might be easier to quarantine/treat him in the 20 with 0.3% salt and then Prazi rather than maintaining 3 tanks plus the plant quarantine tank :idont

He will be in there by himself. I was afraid to put him in there because the media in there is from the main tank. But if you think it would be ok then I will do it. I also don't mind maintenance on everything I have going on now.

He will be in there by himself. I was afraid to put him in there because the media in there is from the main tank. But if you think it would be ok then I will do it. I also don't mind maintenance on every thing I have going on now.

I have salt and heat going on in the 20 now. I am helping the seeding process by adding food to the tank. If the media is infested i was going to wait a month before adding sushi and just keeping him in QT 6 rounds prazi and .03%

This might be a silly question and I know its only been a day, but does ICH always look worse before it starts getting better?

The reason I ask is because the 5 fish look they the ich as spread more on them. They are all still actively swimming and eating. Tank temp is at 77F and salt is at .03%

Edited by Cdionne77

Hope everything is going well!!!!

Well so far they are still very active swimming and eating but looks like the ich may have gotten a little worse so I am hoping that this is only the first day and that it will take a few days to see improvement. I'm staying positive  :D

Ok, I have another question as this is my first time dealing with ich... Should the tank light not be on at all? Or does it not matter? 

You may want to increase aeration while they have the Ich and while the temp is at 80 F.  Ich tends to infest the gills as well as the skin, making breathing more labored and warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen.  

Edited by Jared

You may want to increase aeration while they have the Ich and while the temp is at 80 F.  Ich tends to infest the gills as well as the skin, making breathing more labored and warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen.  

I have a wall air wand turned up, an air stone and the two filters going on. I opened the hood and the top of the tank water is moving rapidly with a lot of agitation. Do you think I need more?