Sign in to follow this  
Cdionne77

ICH explosion in the main tank

I seriously don't know what the heck just happened. One minute everything is peachy next minute everyone is covered in white dandruff with some red belly spots on everyone. I change my water EVERY 3 days!! how does this happen. I am completely beside myself right now. One thinks they do everything right and I feel like I failed them :madrant ...sorry just upset

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) o
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 20ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)5-10ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2 KH 2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API mater liquid test
      • * Water temperature? 73F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?75 gallon 9upgrade from 40 so running a week
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC 110 & AC 70
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 3 days 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago... WC is due today
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? (5) 3+ inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, baking soda and koi clay
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x day a variety of Pro gold, repashy soilent green, peas, NLS thera-A, dark leafy greens, cucumbers, OMega one sinking shrimp pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 2 juveniles (both had 6 rounds of prai and .01%salt and were in QT for 5 months or so before adding
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. All fish in main tank have been on prazi for 4 rounds with salt in the last 5 months. Juveniles went to 6 rounds
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? grains of salt on everyone with red patches on bellies
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Skipper the ranchu in bottom sitting right now , all others are active, Citrus the big orange oranda is floaty

They all have it, some worst than others as far as the ich. I am due for a WC today im wordering if I should do 100% instead of my normal 50%

20150814_155658_zpsfmijimjk.jpg

20150814_155837_zpscylouxs6.jpg

20150814_155911_zpsblxi37vq.jpg

20150814_155914_zps4ldf0tr1.jpg

20150814_160002_zpsfvwqiqch.jpg

Edited by Cdionne77

I hope eveyone gets better soon!!!!

Thanks Dawn, this has really been a rough last few days for them.

IM so sorry!!!!! Hang in there IM sure they will get better soon!!!!

IM so sorry!!!!! Hang in there IM sure they will get better soon!!!!

Thank you, I appreciate the words of encouragement :bighug  

So the 2 Juveniles were never treated with 0.3% salt during their quarantine period?  It is possible they were carrying the Ich but were asymptomatic.  The stress of moving them to the new tank may have weakened their immune systems enough for the Ich to take hold and also infect your other fish.  Either way, you are probably going to need to treat the main tank with 0.3% salt.  Do you have live plants in there?

Edited by Jared

So the 2 Juveniles were never treated with 0.3% salt during their quarantine period?  It is possible they were carrying the Ich but were asymptomatic.  The stress of moving them to the new tank may have weakened their immune systems enough for the Ich to take hold and also infect your other fish.  Either way, you are probably going to need to treat with 0.3% salt in the main tank.  Do you have live plants in there?

Jared you are correct the juveniles were never treated with .03% as I only did a regular dose of liquid prazi. I do have live plants and will remove them..

So the 2 Juveniles were never treated with 0.3% salt during their quarantine period?  It is possible they were carrying the Ich but were asymptomatic.  The stress of moving them to the new tank may have weakened their immune systems enough for the Ich to take hold and also infect your other fish.  Either way, you are probably going to need to treat with 0.3% salt in the main tank.  Do you have live plants in there?

I am due today for a WC. should I do 100% or stick with my 50%?

Jared you are correct the juveniles were never treated with .03% as I only did a regular dose of liquid prazi. I do have live plants and will remove them..

Okay, so i would pull the plants and put them in a quarantine tank with a light and a heater set to 80 F.  The parasites will starve in there with no fish hosts.  

The red blotches are more likely a secondary bacterial problem possibly resulting from the parasites.  I think a large water change would be a good start to reduce the pathogen load in the tank and then add salt to 0.1%.  By then the mods will have read this and can advise you on how to proceed :)

Edited by Jared

Awesome. Thank you so much!

What antibiotics do you have on hand in case they are deemed necessary?

One more question:  There are 5 fish in the 75...Skipper and Citrus...2 juveniles...and then one more fish.  Are the juveniles the fry of Skipper and Citrus?  If so, it is unlikely they had the Ich unless they were exposed to a new fish, infested plants or exposed equipment.  Where did the fifth fish come from?  Also your profile says you have 7 fish including the Pleco.  Where are the other 2 fish?  If the Pleco is in the 75, you will need to put him in the QT with the plants in the QT and treat him with something else like Paraguard.

Edited by Jared

Yep let's up it to 0.3% (it's up to you how quickly you want to up it.  I'd go faster than 0.1% every 12 hours but maybe I'm just wild.  :rofl ) and heat to 78-80*. 

That is just crazy and I'm so sorry it happened. :bighug

(Oh and Jared, you were a mod and stepped down for personal/time constraint reasons.  I am willing to bet that Koko would not mind if you helped out in D&D when you have the time.  If she doesn't agree, she can :wa me.  :o )

One more question:  There are 5 fish in the 75...Skipper and Citrus...2 juveniles...and then one more fish.  Are the juveniles the fry of Skipper and Citrus?  If so, it is unlikely they had the Ich unless they were exposed to a new fish, infested plants or exposed equipment.  Where did the fifth fish come from?  Also your profile says you have 7 fish including the Pleco.  Where are the other 2 fish?  If the Pleco is in the 75, you will need to put him in the QT with the plants in the QT and treat him with something else like Paraguard.

The 2 juveniles are from Skipper and Citrus. The Blue Oranda was a rescue that I took in back in March (when I still had the 40breeder. he received a .03% salt with double dose of prazi for I believe 5 rounds in QT he was then added to 40.. My log book got soaked with water so I am going from memory. The pleco was QT for several weeks before adding he perished today..I'm not sure why i am assuming the parasites idk. The 7th fish is not part of this tank group. he is in his QT and then will be added to his own 20 gallon tank which i am seeding right now with my media...... ok so wait a minute does that mean the media in there could possibly be infected??? auhhhhh

The 2 juveniles are from Skipper and Citrus. The Blue Oranda was a rescue that I took in back in March (when I still had the 40breeder. he received a .03% salt with double dose of prazi for I believe 5 rounds in QT he was then added to 40.. My log book got soaked with water so I am going from memory. The pleco was QT for several weeks before adding he perished today..I'm not sure why i am assuming the parasites idk. The 7th fish is not part of this tank group. he is in his QT and then will be added to his own 20 gallon tank which i am seeding right now with my media...... ok so wait a minute does that mean the media in there could possibly be infected??? auhhhhh

I only have 6 GF the 7 would have been the pleco

I have on hand 

Mortons canning and pickling salt

epsom salt

Metro meds

Medi gold

melafix

tetracycline

Quick cure contains ingredients of Formalin and Malachite Green

I am an Amazon Prime member and can get anything that is not available at my LFS ASAP in case I don't have anything needed

I have on hand 

Mortons canning and pickling salt

epsom salt

Metro meds

Medi gold

melafix

tetracycline

Quick cure contains ingredients of Formalin and Malachite Green

I am an Amazon Prime member and can get anything that is not available at my LFS ASAP in case I don't have anything needed

***EDIT I also have

Seachem Metro  and Kanaplex

Yep let's up it to 0.3% (it's up to you how quickly you want to up it.  I'd go faster than 0.1% every 12 hours but maybe I'm just wild.  :rofl ) and heat to 78-80*. 

I rather go faster to as I am also Wild LOL Can I just put the .03% right away or do it in faster intervals than 12 hours?

I rather go faster to as I am also Wild LOL Can I just put the .03% right away or do it in faster intervals than 12 hours?

Thank you Lisa.. This is crazy. The only thing I can possibly think of is that maybe the Bristlenose carried it in if that's even possible he was QT'd but idk if they show signs of ICH. he died today. I'm not telling the kids he died they picked him out  :doh11:

OR... another possibility is the tank. It was used BUT I bleached the crap out of it. rinsed it out let it sit in the sun for several days and then rinsed it again until I had a flood in my yard..I didn't want to take chances of residue from the bleach I then added prime and rinsed again...idk

The media, if from the main tank, is most likely infected.  I think ich needs a host to survive.  How long before you think you'll add the new fish to the 20?  You could salt the 20 and let it run for a couple of weeks . . .  :idont  What was the plan for that tank?

Weigh or measure out the amount you'll need to bring the 75 up to 0.3%.  If you have salt in there already, remember to only raise it as much as would be needed to go from 0.1% to 0.3% or whatever % they are at now.  If no salt, add the full 0.3% into the toe portion of a nylon/pantyhose and toss it over the edge of the tank, letting it dissolve on it's own over several minutes.  If you don't have any nylons, send hubby to the store for some.  :rofl3  Nothing special--cheapest ones he can find.  I often just get a box of 10 for like $2-3.  :lol

Ich can survive in the media without a host for 3-10 days, in the typical tropical temperature range. Colder temps equal longer survival. Salt the snot out of that tank as Lisa has advised. I'd raise the temp slower than the salt, myself, but so long as the fish are tolerating it just using the nylon diffuser with the salt and bumping the temp up a degree every two hours or so should be sufficient.

You're in good hands with Lisa and Jared. I'm sorry you're dealin with more tank drama!

The media, if from the main tank, is most likely infected.  I think ich needs a host to survive.  How long before you think you'll add the new fish to the 20?  You could salt the 20 and let it run for a couple of weeks . . .  :idont  What was the plan for that tank?

Weigh or measure out the amount you'll need to bring the 75 up to 0.3%.  If you have salt in there already, remember to only raise it as much as would be needed to go from 0.1% to 0.3% or whatever % they are at now.  If no salt, add the full 0.3% into the toe portion of a nylon/pantyhose and toss it over the edge of the tank, letting it dissolve on it's own over several minutes.  If you don't have any nylons, send hubby to the store for some.  :rofl3  Nothing special--cheapest ones he can find.  I often just get a box of 10 for like $2-3.  :lol

I was going to do at least 6 rounds of prazi and .03% salt before I thought of adding him to the new tank. so several weeks. I add food in the new tank to keep the seeding going. I can keep doing it for as long as posible

I was going to do at least 6 rounds of prazi and .03% salt before I thought of adding him to the new tank. so several weeks. I add food in the new tank to keep the seeding going. I can keep doing it for as long as posible

I have nylons LOL and I will be adding in .03% in there as there is nothing in right now. I am in the process of WC and QT'ing the plants :)

Ok.. 

W/C, and plants are QT's heater is set to 80F and .03% salt added at once in pantyhose to 75 gal tank for a total of 284g x 3.... That was a lot of salt :yikes

So how long do I let the salt and heat go on for?  :idont

And my husband came home from work saw my pantyhose inside the fish tank...said ummmm yeahhhh.... I'll be in the man cave if you need me