Citrus floaty and doing headstands

Cdionne77

Hi everyone, I know I have to fill out a D&D form but I am working a double tonight and have no way of filling it out as of yet but I will give you a run down of what I do know. Citrus my oranda is doing this weird headstand thing where she will rest and immediately start tilting downward and into a headstand position. I have noticed this once on her a few months ago but it was just a day and then everything was fine. My daughter just texted me and said she has been watching her mostly all night and she's been doing it again. She will then swim fine but as soon as she rests she will tilt. I saw citrus this morning no pine coning or prickly scales.

I just recently upgraded to a 75g and I have 5 fish in there all 3+ inches from head to tail. The fish that were added were the to babies that were in QT for 5 months with 6 rounds of prazi before they were added. All 5 fish have been prazi'd in the last five months with salt

I have an AC110 and a AC70 filter. W/C's are every 3 days 50% and it may extend to 4 days but not usually.

I add Prime and Baking Soda and sprinkle koi clay at every water change. last W/C was yesterday 50%

They eat 2 times a day and it's always different everyday as far as the food. NLS thera-A - Pro Gold - Repashy Soilent Green- Omega One sinking shrimp pellets -Peas- Hikari Lion Head and veggies. (broccoli is once in a while as I know it makes them gassy) so mostly dark greens and cucumbers. Frozen Brine shrimp and frozen blood worms once a month

Meds I have on hand... I'll try to remember everything because I have a med cabinet chocked full.

1) Epsom Salt and canning and pickling salt

2) Seachem Metro and Kana

3) Metro Meds and the other that GF connection made (all unopened still sealed)

4) Melafix

I probably have more but I can not remember at the moment. But I am an Amazon prime member and can get anything not available at my LFS ASAP

She eats fine, actually she pushes everyone around to get the food so she is still very active and no other visible signs of distress .

The last time I weighed her was a few months ago and she was just touching 100g

She also has been very round belly wise and has not released any eggs for a good while but she always has been a big bellied girl but not for this long so idk if it's her just fat or not releasing eggs or what.

I have a 10g tank not being used so I can QT her in that (gonna be a tight fit she's a beast) I have to dig it out of the basement and clean it up but that is what I have left. I won't be home again until late tomorrow afternoon.

If I missed anything please let me know.. Thanks :)

Edited by Cdionne77

When you get the form filled out would you please get us a video of this behavior? That will be very helpful in our diagnosing it :)

I definitely will when I get home from work :) Thanks

Hope Citrus feels better.

Thanks Dawn

My goldfish, Whale, does a bit of headstanding. I think his wen is a bit heavy. Although I do notice that since I upgraded to the 65 gallon tank, I don't see the headstanding as much. Whale gets most of the food because my other goldfish, Jack, can't see as well. Maybe the headstanding was indicating constipation and with the new tank, I notice Whale is getting more exercise (there is only two goldfish and a pleco in the tank). Maybe more exercise is helping with the constipation which is reducing the headstanding???  I don't know if this gives you any ideas about what is maybe happening for Citrus. But good to hear that you are not seeing any problems so far.

My goldfish, Whale, does a bit of headstanding. I think his wen is a bit heavy. Although I do notice that since I upgraded to the 65 gallon tank, I don't see the headstanding as much. Whale gets most of the food because my other goldfish, Jack, can't see as well. Maybe the headstanding was indicating constipation and with the new tank, I notice Whale is getting more exercise (there is only two goldfish and a pleco in the tank). Maybe more exercise is helping with the constipation which is reducing the headstanding???  I don't know if this gives you any ideas about what is maybe happening for Citrus. But good to hear that you are not seeing any problems so far.

Thank you for the input...Her wen is getting a lot bigger, but so is her belly. I will keep watching her to see what it is I can narrow down possible suspects until I can catch her in the act with a video. I have noticed she will side swim every now and again but I guess I will wait and see and hopefully get that video 

The video of Citrus. Let me know if it seems like it's skipping. When I viewed it, it did seem like it was. 

The D&D form is on it's way shortly

http://vid40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/cdionne77/20150813_195537_zps86gufqyf.mp4

Not doing it that much because she she's me and thinks it's feeding time. But I have noticed that she side swims a lot which she never used to do, and every time it looked like she was going to tilt up, MoJo the blue oranda bumped into her almost like purposely or idk maybe I'm crazy  :hummm

Edited by Cdionne77

When you get the form filled out would you please get us a video of this behavior? That will be very helpful in our diagnosing it :)

Video is up. I will be completing the D&D form when I return from getting my daughter from work. :)

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0 KH 6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2 KH 2
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Mater liquid tet
      • * Water temperature? 74f degrees 
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75gallon (this was an upgrade from a 40 breeder so only a week running)
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC110 and AC 70
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 3 days 50% 

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Tuesday 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?( 5) 3+ inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, baking soda, and koi clay
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x day- always differnent as I like to switch it up and fish seem to like the variety . Repashy soilent green, hikari lion head NLS there-A, Omega One sinking shrimp pellets, peas, dark leafy greens, cucumbers, Frozen brine shrimp, Frozen bloodworms, Pro Gold, Omega One Veggie Seaweed, and YFS green supreme. Once in a while I will let them treat on broccoli but not often.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 2 juveniles (they were prazi'd (6 rounds) and salt was used in QT. were in QT for a total of 5 months. Prazi and salt obviously was not used for the whole duration of QT

• * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. All fish in present tank were prazi'd and salt was used at .01% for 4 rounds in the last 5 months. (juveniles went to 6 rounds)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? nothing abnormal other than floatiness 
Edited by Cdionne77

Sorry but I :teehee when Mojo bumped her.  :rofl

Have you seen her poop?  Have you fasted to see if that made any difference?

She looks nice and active, fins relaxed . . .  but I do see what you mean.  I'm not sure if it's just a big ole wen, a floaty/eggy tummy, or ?  :idont

Sorry but I :teehee when Mojo bumped her.  :rofl

Have you seen her poop?  Have you fasted to see if that made any difference?

She looks nice and active, fins relaxed . . .  but I do see what you mean.  I'm not sure if it's just a big ole wen, a floaty/eggy tummy, or ?  :idont

I know what you mean. He bumped her like... knock it off..I don't want to keep eating peas because of you :rofl .. I have fasted them all for 3 days then gave them nothing but peas for the next 3 days when I saw her side swimming last week. Her wen is getting big, but her belly has been big for a while. I thought for sure she would have released eggs but nothing. I have seen her poop. 

How is she doing this morning?   Any other changes going on with her or anyone else in the tank?

How is she doing this morning?   Any other changes going on with her or anyone else in the tank?

Hi, she is still the same. Everyone else is doing fine. shakaho suggested feeding duckweed. I might try to get my hands on some to see if it helps any 

• 2 weeks later...

My fish are really giving me a run for the money :undecided: Caught Citrus doing this. Please forgive the loud background noise as my daughter is like a bull in a china shop putting dishes away. :doh11:  I suggest turning volume off ... The video is sideways I apologize. New phone and I can't work it right :teehee  

http://vid40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/cdionne77/20150826_125052_zpstidzrq6h.mp4

Edited by Cdionne77

My fish are really giving me a run for the money :undecided: Caught Citrus doing this. Please forgive the loud background noise as my daughter is like a bull in a china shop putting dishes away. :doh11:  I suggest turning volume off ... The video is sideways I apologize. New phone and I can't work it right :teehee  

http://vid40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/cdionne77/20150826_125052_zpstidzrq6h.mp4

Your fish and tank are gorgeous! I could watch them all day long.

Sending healing thoughts her way!

Your fish and tank are gorgeous! I could watch them all day long.

Sending healing thoughts her way!

Oh thank you! :D  The tank usually looks a lot better but had a recent  ich problem so all my live plants came out and I have two other cutie fish in QT right now. It's been a little crazy here in fish land but I'm glad it still looks good  :teehee