mystery illness

Queens4Fish

Hi All 

I am back- it's been a while and if you recall I lost one of my darlings but the other is still afflicted with a mystery illness-

To begin:

Ammonia : 0

Nitrite         0

Nitrate        0-5ppm

PH             7.6

High PH     8.2-8.5

•  Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API MASTERKIT

• * Water temperature? 24C/room temp (no heater)

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

128L/3 years.

• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AQUA INTERNAL 200 x2 +Interpret CF2

• * How often do you change the water and how much? Twice a week, 50/80 percent as needed.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

Today 80 percent.

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 inch ( including tail) , 1 Ryu

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Fluval aqua plus.

• * What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra goldfish, gold japan, tuna +shelled peas in shell food or dry one or twice a week + 1 pinch novo prawns and peas.

• * Any new fish added to the tank? NO                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Medical History

• * Any medications added to the tank?YES! Please see the rest of this post.

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

• In 2014 we struggled to find the cause and the above treatment was decided on.: 

• Flukes- Prazi + Oxtozin+ Kanaplex ( for mystery illness)- scehdule developped here.

• Most recently I have repeated those steps- dialling down to only prazi if the symptoms go better, it had stopped for a few months but now it seems to be bothering her again, she goes from being restless to being day dreamy and  visiting the bottom ( although never lying there)

• previously I had tried:

• Cotton wool- Lovefish, followed packet dosage 1 month after buying them, 2 weeks treatment.

• Salt, Hydrogen peroxide, and peas 1 week.

• Pima fix- to treat in case symptoms were bacterial- 1 week

• Itch-interpret treatment folllowed instructions on box, 1 course, 7 day break, another course.

• Mela fix- to treat because next shop says spots are too big to be itch- its fungal they said... ( still treating, course of 7 days finishes in 2 days.

• Used to put salt in weekly, stopped putting salt in when this medication buisness started as figured it would stress them out too much.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Symptoms

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Tail still has some red streaking  despite no ammonia readings in water.

With Amidala this is tough to tell because she has had them as long as I have had her because of her colouring.

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Amidala: darting, frequent day dreaming and twitching, she also still has those three grey spot on her wen which have never dissapeared since.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/119048-urgent-help-needed-oranda-mystery-illness/

I would really like to solve this but it's been hard going and nothing seems to help.

Thanks in advance,

Queens* xx

Edited by Koko
Made a new thread.

Would you please test your tap water and post the results?  We really appreciate it if you copy and paste the d/d form and answer on the form since we are used to reading the form.  

You say you change 50-80% of the water "as needed."  How do you determine need?  (Just curious.)

How long a time has the fish been in plain, clean water without medication? All medications have side effects of some kind.  Read this article (admittedly quite inflammatory) to see how dangerous medical treatment can be to humans.  

None of the symptoms you describe sound terribly serious.  I realize that you are worried because of losing the other fish.  

Do any of the behavior symptoms you describe appear to be associated  with events -- like feeding or water changes -- or with the time of day, etc.?   

Hi there,

The tap results are exactly the same, not worth reposting been through this before in other thread.

Change twice a week or more ' If needed'.

It's a little frustrating no one told me that my post had been renamed and moved = no notifications as I wasn't following the new thread, since I had no awareness of it's existence! :blink:

But thanks for the reply. :thumbup2:

Symptoms include periodic tearing around the aquarium and severe finn flicking/twitching ( the worrying bit)- she has never done this before and nothing in her environment has changed, it is new behaviour. Periodically she will hang in the lower half of the aquarium and daydream in a listless fashion, she also sometimes kisses the glass which again is completely new. I know her well enough to know this behaviour means something is not quite right but I don't know what it is, it's made harder by the fact that there appears to be no rhyme or reason to when it happens.

The discoloured grey spots on her wen and tail are persistent and  I have no idea why they are there, very hard to capture on cameras but they are in the pics in the old thread.

Water has been clear for  at least 2/3 months until just before I reposted here.

:fishtank