Pleco in a pond?

Anorea

Hello, I have a 75G tank, and a 125G tank staying at a friends house temporarily. The reason my tanks aren't at my house is that I am currently in a wheelchair from an accident on my motorcycle, and I can't properly clean/take care of my fish at the moment. I went to my friends house last week, to visit my fish, and I found out that he had moved my sailfin into the other tank with my goldfish. Apparently he did this so he wouldn't have a bigger electrical bill. :( I can't find anyone else to care for either of my tanks, and I don't feel comfortable having the sailfin in with my large goldfish (and oh so tasty, I'm sure, to Pleco-san). Is there anyone in CA, USA (preferably the bay area) looking for/willing to take my 4 year old Nameless? (That's the pleco's name) I love him so much, but I can't take care of him properly at the moment. :( Does any one know if there are any fish rescue groups? I wasn't really sure where to put this, but I thought: "Hey, maybe someone has an outdoor pleco pond!" ...That's my hope anyway. Thanks!

175372d1439374766-need-help-sailfin-plec175373d1439374770-need-help-sailfin-plec175374d1439374776-need-help-sailfin-plec175375d1439374779-need-help-sailfin-plec

Edited by Anorea

Good luck.

Have you contact any lfs with big tanks in your area? Or you could put him on Craig's list.

The problem with plecos in a pond is that they're tropical and need warm water and we are heading into fall :idont

Some LFS will take a larger pleco off your hands. It's not ideal, I know, but it's an option.

I empathize so much with your situation. I had unexpected surgery a few years ago and had to use a walker and go through rehab for a year afterward. I was in no shape to care for my big tank, and my BFF took it on. Fortunately, she caught the goldfish bug and took immaculate care of them, and still has the tank. One of my original ranchus just passed away recently and she has new goldfish. I have a smaller tank that I can now manage on my own.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Helper

He's beautiful! Catfish are so tough because of their size and care requirements. I'd only keep him in a pond if it was in a garage or basement, otherwise the weather might just be too cold for him to handle.

Are you close to the Sacramento area? You can get in touch with the Sacramento Aquarium Society, I'm sure they might have someone to give a home to the little fella. :)

I've known people to keep plecos in ponds, but they live in the tropics up in the Northern reaches of Australia, where, in the middle of 'winter', it can still be 35 degrees Celsius.

I hope you're able to find your little guy a home! Plecos are such lovely creatures. :)