friend's oranda has dropsy

fishy

Hi,

My friend's 2 year old female oranda sounds like she has dropsy, my friend said she is pineconing, very mild yesterday & more pronounced this afternoon. She started kanaplex & epsom salt last night, would metroplex be recommended with kanaplex or just kanaplex or just metroplex? I can post (or try to) post pictures tonight, I know she doesn't test her water, has 2 goldfish in a 20 gallon, and does minimal water changes. I have talked to her extensively about goldfish care/maintenance and her current set up is an improvement. Any advice is very much appreciated : )

She kept the sick fish (foofy) in the current tank, did a water change then moved the tankmate to another tank. I will check on the epsom. Sadly, I do believe foofy will relapse &/or other issues will arise in time just based on the housing & maintenance. She lost a goldfish to dropsy maybe a month ago and another oranda to dropsy earlier this year. Foofy is her absolute favorite fish, I am hoping my friend learns from this. Thank you for the advice, I will let her know to start the metroplex.

She added 1/2 cup of epsom salt to a 20 gallon tank last night. I don't know epsom dosing in a long time so I don't know if that's a correct amount but it sounds like a lot (to me), I will look it up a bit later.