What is the largest tank you would put on a kitchen counter?

jenste

Just curious, I have a 20 gallon long tank on my kitchen counter right now...I was just wondering what is the largest size tank you would consider putting on a kitchen counter with out worrying about adding reinforcement?

Again, this is just for curiosities sake lol...I thought maybe a 30 gallon would be a max I would consider but I was curious if anyone is braver than me!

• Helper

Depends on how loaded down the cabinets are and how they tie together. With bolts or a band around the bottom and a continuous hard surface on top, I'd load up a 40 gallon tank if the cabinet wasn't totally stacked with pots. My island currently holds about 20 gallons but it is limited by size, not weight. My husband made it from solid birch and the direction of the hardwood boards makes it one of the strongest structures in the house :)

Sorry should have specified that in my downstairs kitchen (I have two as it is a raised ranch and downstairs has been finished into an in-law) it is a continuous solid counter about 6-7 feet long on each side of the sink with cabinets/drawers underneath and about 18 - 24" of space before the cupboards begin above the counter top (One side has half cupboards for part of the section)

Edited by jenste

:hi5  might be something to keep in mind for the future if I ever see a good deal on one lol

• Helper

I'm just assuming a decent foundation or floor joists and conventional cabinet boxes. Slab on grab and nicer quality cabinet units could hold more, depending on their own load. But 40 gallons over a longer footprint is definitely doable.

It is just something I have toyed around with in my mind.  In the past I had a 20 long and 2-3 10 gallons on each side of the sink (when I was raising several clutches of tadpoles or axolotls - it made the daily water changes much easier) but I wasn't sure if anyone had dared to go bigger....   Just keeping future upgrading possibilities in the back of my mind because I think it will be easier to convince my hubby to let me upgrade a 20 or 26 gallon to something bigger rather than upgrading my 72 gallon to something bigger. 

• Helper

You should be okay. Centering it as much over your dishwasher s possible is the best bet, because then the weight is distributed over the cabinet boxes.

You should be okay. Centering it as much over your dishwasher s possible is the best bet, because then the weight is distributed over the cabinet boxes.

So I cannot put an aquarium on the right most edge area? That is where I plan to..

• Helper

Those are pretty puny cabinets - centering the load over the two verticals sheets of plywood that make up the sides of the cabinetry gives you a lot more capacity than running it just over the flat span. So your capacity is lowered the closer to the edge you get in this case, because you have fewer support in members underneath your countertop span. A 20-30 gallon long should still be fine, but I'd only use a 40 gallon if it was over more cabinet boxes than just the last one.

See this post by my husband, which explains why the direct of the member, not just be size or span length, dictates the amount of force it can sustain.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/122068-floor-strong-enough-for-mr-aqua-65-gallon/?p=1925320

Edited by Arctic Mama