Orandas, Ranchus or one of each

Will

Hi all

I have a 30 gallon tank (Juwel Lido 120) that has not finished cycling yet.

I like Ranchus and Orandas and cannot make up my mind wether to get 2 Ranchus, 2 Orandas or one of each when my tank is finally cycled.

My concerns with the three options are:

- Ranchus: is Juwel Lido 120 too deep for Ranchus, will I just have 2 fish swimming at the bottom?

- Orandas: will they get too big for the 30 gallon tank?

- One of each: Will they be ok with each other when the Oranda outgrow the Ranchu. Anyone has experience with this pair?

Please let me know what you think.

Many thanks!

Will

Any goldfish, as a pair, will get too big for a 30 gallon tank. Ranchus and Orandas grow at about the same rate, but any fish can outgrow any other based on genetics. ALL types of goldfish can be kept together, so there are no worries about mixing types.

Basically, just get what you like. However, know that if you get two fish for that tank you will need to upgrade. 15-20 gallons per fish is the minimum regardless of size, but I would put my minimum at 20 gallons per fish and just get one for your tank if you are worrying about having to upgrade.

Hi Will, and welcome to Kokos.

In general, this site recommends 15-20 gallons per fish.

2 in a 30 gallon would be max capacity using these guidlines...just be sure to have good filtration (30 gallon tank should have 300 gallon per hour filtration) and weekly water changes of 80% or more.

I have seen many people pair different goldfish together in one tank, so no worries about ranchu and orandas living together.

Good luck.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

I have an Oranda (Female) and a Ranchu (Male) and they do great together. If you decide that you would be putting them both in the 30 gal, I would just be very strict with large water change schedules, and they should be fine. Down the line as they get much bigger I would upgrade to  bigger tank. 40 breeders are excellent.  Welcome to Koko's by the way. Nice to have you here!  :hi

I personally would only use a 30 gallon tank for the smallest variety of goldfish (Pearlscale). Goldfish really need 20 gallons per fish :) but you can always upgrade later.

All goldfish have the potential to get large, and are relatively the same size on average. Pearlscales are not the smallest variety of goldfish. There really is no such thing.

The dimensions of that tank aren't ideal for fancy goldfish.  It's basically a 2'W  x 2'H square.  Goldfish do better in longer, more shallow tanks.  So, there is potential for buoyancy issues, especially with Ranchus.

Edited by Jared

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

I finally bought a ranchu last month and an oranda a few weeks ago.

They are both about the same size, 4 inches without the tail.

The oranda is a pig and doesn't let my ranchu eat anything  :no:

I have the ranchu in a 10 gallon tub now where he can eat in peace.

Fortunately I had two filters in the 30 gallon aquarium so I just could use one of them for the tub.

Not sure what to do next... but looks like I have to get another fish tank.

You don't need to get another fish tank at all. There are many ways to ensure that the ranchu gets enough to eat. Here are a few options:

1. Teach the oranda to hand-feed. This will allow the ranchu time to get to some food while keeping the oranda busy.
  2. Spread out the food across the tank. This will give both fish incentive to forage, and will allow the ranchu to eat.
  3. Teach each fish to eat at opposite ends of the tank. This will allow each fish enough food to themselves.

Goldfish, particularly fancy goldfish, do best in a shallow tank with a large surface area.  There should be plenty of turn-around space (width) for fancies, since their short, thick bodies do not bend much.  

These are already medium sized fish, and if young will probably mature as large goldfish.  A 40B (40 gallon breeder) would make a fine home for them unless they become very large.

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.