Sign in to follow this  
katalisp

Goldfish Zen Garden in construction stage 1- photos

Hi All,

Here is the beginning of my tank set up. I have a 55 gallon long tank.

I decided to use a Hamburg matten filter (HMF). I chose a half-moon Poret foam set up for the tank. I'm currently waiting on the jet lifters. I ordered the wrong size and needed to exchange them. 

For the background, initially I had used the black plastic from the pet store. I used mineral oil to seal it down and it worked great until we had a heat wave then it developed these huge bubbles. I was so grateful that I didn't have water in the tank yet so I was able to remove it and paint.

I painted the back with black acrylic paint from the craft store. It took two small bottles and I used the cheap sponge rollers from the craft store as well. It was really easy. I just used painters tape on the tank frame, rolled on the first layer, let it dry and did a second layer. Looks great. I'm really happy.

I've decided to do a zen garden style tank because the tank is so narrow. I'm posting photos of the rocks I've siliconed to light diffuser so they don't stress the tank. I've filled in the excess holes with silicone so no detritus can accumulate under the rocks. I then siliconed some excess sponge onto the top of the light diffuser so the moss I'm planning on will have something to attach to. 

Sorry there's so much reflection on the tank. We have skylights so it's hard to get a clear shot. 

Kat

IMG_0066_zpsu38mw0ot.jpgIMG_0067_zpst4sfpzk4.jpgIMG_0071_zpsmvtdtg7d.jpgIMG_0069_zpsvt6owq0j.jpg

Very interesting project - looking forward to seeing it all assembled! What kind of goldfish are you planning to get?

:thumbup2: That looks pretty cool. Looking forward to the end result as well  

Looking sharp! That was a good way to handle the weight and pressure points of the rocks, and I always love a good sponge filter. Matten walls just stink for mechanical filtration but their bio capacity is nearly unmatched - so with good siphoning of debris you'll be in great shape,

Shabazin,

I'd love to get a veiltail, fantail or oranda, and a ryukin or black moor. It will just depend on what's available when the tank is ready. I'd like to get them from the same store so I can intro them at the same time. Will make things easier on me and the fish I think :-)

Arctic Mama, Yea I figure I may have to get a canister or HOB when the fish get bigger. I really want to get young fish. Think it will be fun for my kids and I to see them grow. I figure with a weekly water change and sand substrate, not too much decoration, I should be able to vacuum most of the gunk up. We'll see though. It's all a learning curve isn't it. :fishtank

Wow, very cool! Looking forward to more pictures.

Edited by LisaCGold

Fantastic ! Keep us updated please !

Can't wait to see it finished!!!!!

Hi Dawn,

Need to post some updated photos. Lost the first round of plants. Then lost several fish to ich. Then a massive algae bloom. Now it's seems to be settling down. Still playing around with the fertilizer to keep the plants healthy and not feed the algae too much. My black moor, Prospero, is looking great. I think the UV filter was the best purchase yet. Just got a pleco. He's tiny but doing well. Had to go back to work full time so I've been swamped but starting to think about adding two more fancies again once I set up the QT properly. I posted photos when I got the second round of plants. Some have died off again and the vale melted but are just making a comeback now.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/122850-goldfish-zen-tank-round-ii/

I need to do a bit of plant maintenance this weekend. Then I'll try to take a few shots. The marimo has been doing great around the bases of the rocks. 

Thanks for the comments :-)  I miss being on here daily and seeing everyone's fish. 

kathleen

Hi Kathleen. Thanks for the update!!!!!