My new... Ranchu?

Anorea

I'm a little bit worried. When I went to do my water change today there was a lot of weird chalky/fuzzy white stuff all over the bottom of the tank, and somewhat on the fishie-kun. I did a complete water change, but this time I didn't add any elixirs. I am hoping that it wasn't any of the stuff I put in to help him/her out. I re-cleaned everything in boiling water too. :\ I hope it's enough. The water he/she is in now is so pure that scientists come from all over California to get it for usage in tests. Should I still add Stress Coat? I'm thinking the chalky whiteish stuff/fuzz is just from the crap tap water I put him in initially.

I would get some Seachem Prime and use that rather than the Stress Coat and the other product.  In addition, 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon will do more for healing than any tonics you find at the store :)

Holy cheese and crackers!! You found that gorgeous ranchu at Wal-mart?! Great find indeed. Like everyone else said QT daily WC's and keeping a watch on water parameters and any odd behavior. If you suspect anything ask ASAP.

Thanks so much! I feel super lucky to have been there at the exact right time. There was a little girl yelling at her mom to buy her the "pretty white fish with the broken back" (Apparently her other SIX goldfish had just died, all apparently in a 25 gallon) and I kinda just snuck in there, and told the guys to get me the net. I feel only sliiiightly bad for practically stealing him from her.

Well you did the fish a favor considering she had 6 fish in a 25 gallon  :madrant

I'm a little bit worried. When I went to do my water change today there was a lot of weird chalky/fuzzy white stuff all over the bottom of the tank, and somewhat on the fishie-kun. I did a complete water change, but this time I didn't add any elixirs. I am hoping that it wasn't any of the stuff I put in to help him/her out. I re-cleaned everything in boiling water too. :\ I hope it's enough. The water he/she is in now is so pure that scientists come from all over California to get it for usage in tests. Should I still add Stress Coat? I'm thinking the chalky whiteish stuff/fuzz is just from the crap tap water I put him in initially.

I feel bad for the little girl. She is just ignorant. I told her a little bit, but I didn't want to come off as condescending to her. She seemed intelligent enough that as she grows with the hobby(if she does) she will get good information, and be a better owner. I hope that's the case anyway. That's what happened with me. When I was around 13 I had three good-sized goldfish in a 30G together. They were about 5inches long. I didn't even know water changes were a thing. Dang, are common goldfish hardy. Comet (my Comet) is still alive today, 12 years later.

I have no idea what that white fuzzy stuff could be....Maybe residue...glad it's pristine now  :thumbup2: . I'm glad you got to talk to the girl a little bit about fish care, hopefully she will think about what you said in the future

Holy cheese and crackers!! You found that gorgeous ranchu at Wal-mart?! Great find indead. Like everyone else said QT daily WC's and keeping a watch on water parameters and any odd behavior. If you suspect anything ask ASAP.

Thanks so much! I feel super lucky to have been there at the exact right time. There was a little girl yelling at her mom to buy her the "pretty white fish with the broken back" (Apparently her other SIX goldfish had just died, all apparently in a 25 gallon) and I kinda just snuck in there, and told the guys to get me the net. I feel only sliiiightly bad for practically stealing him from her.

Thank Goodness you saved him from Darla :rofl

That was exactly who I was thinking of when she said the little girl and 6 dead fish  :rofl3

Quite a find for Walmart! I agree with Jared, that fish has potential.

I've done QT on a tiny baby in a 2 gallon before, but did 100% daily water changes. That ammonia can creep up on you faster than you'd think, so keep an eye on it, okay?

I was hoping to get away with every other day half changes. Do you think it will be an issue? :o

Absolutely!  Either get a larger container or do daily 100% water changes.  1.5 gallons is smaller than a fish bowl.

Meanwhile you should be following the quarantine procedure here.

People often find beautiful goldfish at Walmart.  The problem with this source comes from poor in-store care, not low quality fish.

Omgosh, I forgot about that scene in Finding Nemo. XD  :rofl2 

The white stuff appears to be all gone for good.  I think it was the water from the tap. I forgot what the water is like on this side of town. One side of town has better filtered water, and the side of town I live at now has alkali, and all kinds of crap minerals in it. I'll be using the crazy good water from now on. XD

I heard from a worker that they are getting rid of the live fish there at Walmart (maybe it's just the one near me). If that's true, I'm so happy!!

I'll give you guys more pics as he gets bigger!

Do you guys think his silver and gold will go away? D: Just curious. He really is silver and gold. Not orange or red or yellow, and not white. It's weird, and I really like it. XD Just being paranoid. Also, anyone have any suggestions on names? He is kinda shy and dorky, but oh so handsome!