My new... Ranchu?

Anorea

I rescued this cute wittle guy from the "assorted fancy goldfish" tank (overcrowded of course) at Walmart today. He is a Ranchu, correct? Any ideas on special care he will need? I currently have him in a 1.5 gallon tank, as he is ridiculously small. I plan on doing water changes VERY often, though. Please don't worry. XD I have a 35G waiting for him when he gets bigger. I'm super excited to have my first non-common type goldfish. (I have a Shubunkin and a Comet) I need to get sharper images. XD

20356845512_49d73395a2_k.jpgIMG_6180

20339084486_92d7a5efee_k.jpgIMG_6163

20365339065_414bd983ce_k.jpgIMG_6155

20365340815_ce560973f4_k.jpgIMG_6150

19742653354_afb875b155_k.jpgIMG_6173

20177318838_3073f69823_k.jpgIMG_6175

Aw he is just a little nugget!!! Definitely a cutie! Nice find :)

He has very nice potential, especially for a Walmart fish.  I can't wait to see him in a few months after you've spoiled him and rounded out that belly  :teehee

Keep the water especially clean and perhaps add 0.1% salt to help those fins heal.  The moderators can help you with this  :)

Edited by Jared

Thanks everyone! ^_^ He's maaaaaybe an inch long?
To help with his fins, I put in some National Geographic Herbal Relief for bacterial and fungal diseases (He's from Walmart, you can't be too careful) which has

Active Ingredients Per Ounce: Citrus Oil 40.82mg, Eucalyptus Oil 19.89 mg, Neem Oil 41.27mg, Cinnamon Oil 22.66mg

Inactive Ingredients: Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Deionized Water, Ethoxylated Castor Oil, Ethoxylated Palm Kernel Oil, Methylparaben, Polyvinylpyrrolidone, Triethylene Glycol

and the regular API ph7.0 and API tap water conditioner/stress zyme (which includes aloe vera). :P I can't wait for him to grow up! ^_^

Edited by Anorea

Love the Coloring :thumbs:

Thanks so much! I love his colouring too!! I was super shocked to see such a beautiful little ranchu there. I usually avoid walmart like the plague, but my fiance needed something they only had there. I tried to stay away from the fish (they make me sad) but I couldn't help it. XD I'm glad I looked.

Quite a find for Walmart! I agree with Jared, that fish has potential.

I've done QT on a tiny baby in a 2 gallon before, but did 100% daily water changes. That ammonia can creep up on you faster than you'd think, so keep an eye on it, okay?

I've done QT on a tiny baby in a 2 gallon before, but did 100% daily water changes. That ammonia can creep up on you faster than you'd think, so keep an eye on it, okay?

I was hoping to get away with every other day half changes. Do you think it will be an issue? :o

Edited by Anorea

Holy cheese and crackers!! You found that gorgeous ranchu at Wal-mart?! Great find indead. Like everyone else said QT daily WC's and keeping a watch on water parameters and any odd behavior. If you suspect anything ask ASAP.

I was hoping to get away with every other day half changes. Do you think it will be an issue? :o

I would test it daily and be prepared to do a 100% water change daily.  Seachem Prime would be a better choice for a water conditioner as it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite as well as chorine and chloramines.

I would test it daily and be prepared to do a 100% water change daily.  Seachem Prime would be a better choice for a water conditioner as it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite as well as chorine and chloramines.

I will check that out! I haven't heard of Seachem Prime before, but it sounds good. I should go change his water now.

Holy cheese and crackers!! You found that gorgeous ranchu at Wal-mart?! Great find indead. Like everyone else said QT daily WC's and keeping a watch on water parameters and any odd behavior. If you suspect anything ask ASAP.

Thanks so much! I feel super lucky to have been there at the exact right time. There was a little girl yelling at her mom to buy her the "pretty white fish with the broken back" (Apparently her other SIX goldfish had just died, all apparently in a 25 gallon) and I kinda just snuck in there, and told the guys to get me the net. I feel only sliiiightly bad for practically stealing him from her.

Edited by Anorea

Super cute baby ranchu. Didn't even know Wally World had fish. Sad. Glad he found a home with someone who will take good care of him.

Thanks! Yeah it is sad. :(

Holy cheese and crackers!! You found that gorgeous ranchu at Wal-mart?! Great find indeed. Like everyone else said QT daily WC's and keeping a watch on water parameters and any odd behavior. If you suspect anything ask ASAP.

Thanks so much! I feel super lucky to have been there at the exact right time. There was a little girl yelling at her mom to buy her the "pretty white fish with the broken back" (Apparently her other SIX goldfish had just died, all apparently in a 25 gallon) and I kinda just snuck in there, and told the guys to get me the net. I feel only sliiiightly bad for practically stealing him from her.

Well you did the fish a favor considering she had 6 fish in a 25 gallon  :madrant

Holy cheese and crackers!! You found that gorgeous ranchu at Wal-mart?! Great find indeed. Like everyone else said QT daily WC's and keeping a watch on water parameters and any odd behavior. If you suspect anything ask ASAP.

Well you did the fish a favor considering she had 6 fish in a 25 gallon  :madrant

I'm a little bit worried. When I went to do my water change today there was a lot of weird chalky/fuzzy white stuff all over the bottom of the tank, and somewhat on the fishie-kun. I did a complete water change, but this time I didn't add any elixirs. I am hoping that it wasn't any of the stuff I put in to help him/her out. I re-cleaned everything in boiling water too. :\ I hope it's enough. The water he/she is in now is so pure that scientists come from all over California to get it for usage in tests. Should I still add Stress Coat? I'm thinking the chalky whiteish stuff/fuzz is just from the crap tap water I put him in initially.

I feel bad for the little girl. She is just ignorant. I told her a little bit, but I didn't want to come off as condescending to her. She seemed intelligent enough that as she grows with the hobby(if she does) she will get good information, and be a better owner. I hope that's the case anyway. That's what happened with me. When I was around 13 I had three good-sized goldfish in a 30G together. They were about 5inches long. I didn't even know water changes were a thing. Dang, are common goldfish hardy. Comet (my Comet) is still alive today, 12 years later.

Edited by Anorea

What a beauty! That fish was lucky you came by just in time. Have you figured out a name yet?

I haven't thought of a name yet! D: Any suggestions? My fiance says "Schmendrik" after his Dark Souls wizard character. XD

Thank Goodness you saved him from Darla :rofl