My pond fish this summer

My adult pond fish are doing great this year.  There has been some nitrates in the water even though I have tons of plants in there and only 9 fish in 700 gallons (perhaps I overfeed?).  My fry pond from last year has only one or two plants (the plants have all died) and the readings are always '0' for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.  Even though there are 17 bigger fry in that 250 gallons...they have green water which must help with the nitrate readings.

I noticed that my oldest fish Elmo has a black spot on her side (she's the big dark orange fish)...I have no idea what it is...but she doesn't seem bothered by it.

Here is a video of all my 9 adult fish:

You have lots of aquatic plants, which prefer ammonia to nitrates.  If you want plants to eat your nitrate, you have to use marginals in the pond, or run your filtered water through a veggie filter.   Green water algae competes successfully with nitrifiers for ammonia, so they can't produce much nitrate.

You have a beautiful group.  Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Jared :).

You have lots of aquatic plants, which prefer ammonia to nitrates.  If you want plants to eat your nitrate, you have to use marginals in the pond, or run your filtered water through a veggie filter.   Green water algae competes successfully with nitrifiers for ammonia, so they can't produce much nitrate.

Bummer...I thought even aquatic plants used nitrate...well that explains the '0' ammonia :).  Would it help to just put some impatience plants in the top of the filter again?  I haven't done that this year.  Thanks for the info Sharon.

Your fish are beautiful and very friendly! :)

Thank you.  They are very friendly.  My boys like to put their fingers in the water and let the fish nibble on them :)

Impatience lacks the growth rate of a great water purifier.  Cannas and Iris work really well and look good too.  You can also consider making a floating garden/island.  You will find many different versions, most using a sheet of foam insulation with holes for pots.  The plants quickly cover the support (which typically doesn't look very good initially).