Sign in to follow this  
Kara Murray

Finally. Now..who do I choose?

So I finally received my 40 gallon from a friend.

Now, I am going to be purchasing my heater first, but I will be purchasing, finally, an angelfish for it.

However, I want one more fish to fit into the tank. Now I know angelfish are quite territorial fish and would probably eat my guppies if I put them in with it, so that is a huge 'no', but what types of other fish do you think I could add to the tank?

I was sort of looking for algae eaters, plecos.. Along that line of fish.

Any recommendations?

Bristle nose plecos are a favorite around here. Rubberlip in another possibility.

Are you doing just one angelfish? That's the way I read it. If so ypu will have room for another small fish or two with the bn pleco boiload wise. Not sure what to recommend though lol.

I kept my angel with some glolight tetras, but they were too shy to handle him and didn't eat well while they were in the tank together. I recommend something more like danios or rasboras - quick enough to get away, but uninteresting enough that the angelfish won't bother them.

And mine did try to pick at my ancistrus a few times, but the barbed gill plates helped with that :D

Remember, too, that heavily planted tanks with TALL plants and driftwood elements are super helpful. Hiding places for smaller fish and clearly defined, interesting territory for the big guy. It helps them feel safer and lessens aggression.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thank you for your time!

I have seen some bristle nose plecos for sale in my LFS, they seem to look well.

Also, if I added danios or rasboras to the tank, how many would I need for them to be happy?

Also, yes, it will be just one angelfish! It will be hard for me not to pick up more, but I must control myself, haha.

The tank is quite tall, so you think I should purchase tall  live plants, not tall fake ones? I will be using sand, as I have a new obsession with it, but I heard around that sand can suffocate plant's roots? 

0be73ba40998c8ca60717973c0faf081.jpg

My tank is just sand. I think it works well.

I also just use sand for my plants :)

You can also buy Cardinal tetras (looks very very similar to Neons but grows larger so the Angel won't be able to swallow them). 

You can also look into smaller species of Rainbowfish such as Threadfin rainbows. 

If you like the look of hatchet fish, make sure you have a lid as they are known jumpers.   Tetras, rainbows, and hatchet fish are all schooling fish meaning you should have at least 6-8 of the same species. 

If*** you decide you want just more angels and a bristlenose, then get a total of 5 angel (always keep odd numbers) but be prepared to rehome some should you get a pair - not all pairs will tolerate other angels or other fish for that matter.

Thank you for your response, again.

I might get some more angels.. But I must control myself!

I like the cardinal tetras! I may get some of those too..

As for the sand, I think I will see if I can find tall live ones, too!

Can't wait to see what you do with your tank :)

Danios need to be in large groups or they can get very nippy.   Careful with trying to have more then one angel.  Unless they are a mated pair they well fight.  I would go with a group of rasboras.  

Once you have a LOT of plants growing then you can start thinking about adding other fish.  Remember if it can fit in an angelfishes mouth it might be dinner.

Mollies... is all I can say.. I love my Mollies with Guppies tank :)

I had angels before and had them with Scissor tail tetras, most tetras are fine, angels are nippy so no long finned fish.

Thank you all for your replies!

Two weeks left until I travel to the good quality pet shop, haha.

I will see if I can find some tall plants, if I cannot, I will purchase small live ones that have potential to grow.

I like the idea of mollies in the tank, too.. 

Looking forward to seeing your tank!!!!

I purchased one! She is a female I think...She is a Koi Angelfish and her name is Marbles!

The tank is not completed yet, you cannot see it yet!  :teehee

1655015.jpg?628

2792420.jpg?626

aw she's lovely!!! Can't wait for a FTS

Very pretty!

Remember if you do decide you adore Angels, you can house them in groups - just like gouramis they do well in single fish setups OR three or more. With a nice, tall 75 gallon planted tank, for example, you could easily fit seven or eight angelfish and some other inhabitants that are zippy in with them. In larger shoals they are actually much less aggressive than when kept as a single fish or in a smaller grouping, because they cannot effectively establish territory to patrol.

Thank you all for the lovely words, and thank you for the advice too!

However, I have another question that has risen.

My friend has requested the 40 gallon back.. I couldn't decline, it was for his son who is suffering pretty badly right now from injury and he just loves fish, so I lent it to him.

My current Angelfish, Marbles, is now in a 30 gallon tub, which she seems pretty happy in.

Now, I have been notified above, but could there be an exception formed? And would it work. Here is my question.

I was wondering if I could put one more Angelfish in with Marbles. 

She is a female Angelfish, around 2 inches tall, she has been on her own for about a week or two now.

Could I put another Angelfish in with her? She isn't exactly a hostile fish, while I watched her in the tiny LFS tank alongside 6 or so other Angelfish, she wasn't attacking anyone, she just swam around.

I don't exactly know if I should get a male or female or one at all.

I heard female's get very territorial during spawning, but she would probably pair with a male.

Can I have other people's opinion's?

Please and thank you!  :hummm