Instead of Disinfecting Plants

LisaCGold

I have some Guppy Grass (also called Najas) that I periodically take out of my shrimp tank and just compost. The stuff grows pretty quickly. I would like to try some of these plants in my goldfish tank. Instead of disinfecting the plant, can I just keep the plants in a bowl with goldfish tank water and filtered water for several weeks (or however many weeks it takes). Will any potential parasites die off in that time because there would be no host? I replace the water periodically - about two to three times a week.

I realize my goldfish may try to eat the plants. I'm okay with that.

I know PP, potassium permanganate, is what Tammy uses for her more delicate plants. She's on vacation now but is coming home tomorrow. Hopefully, she'll see this :)

• Helper

I use PP - nice magenta water for 20-30 minutes. Assuming all pond snails were removed, a QT for parasites should be about two months to assure die off :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

I don't think you have much to worry about since the plants are in a tank without fish.  Shrimp and goldfish don't share parasites/pathogens.  I'd just wash the plants with water.

I've never quarantined plants and my fish have all been fine and nothing has been introduced apart from the bladder snails (but I love them :) )

A bleach or PP dip never goes astray, if only to kill any algae that may be on the plant. You're quite lucky being in the UK though. Those little Tropica 1-2 Grow Pots are all tissue culture plants, so are safe from the get go. :)

I've never quarantined plants and my fish have all been fine and nothing has been introduced apart from the bladder snails (but I love them :) )

A bleach or PP dip never goes astray, if only to kill any algae that may be on the plant. You're quite lucky being in the UK though. Those little Tropica 1-2 Grow Pots are all tissue culture plants, so are safe from the get go. :)

I have never bought those as the only place they sell them I don't like buying things from.

I have Jungle Clear Water which is suppose to be PP at 1/2 concentration. I've read that to clean plants using this product, to double dose the product and soak the plants for 20-30 minutes. Milder than chlorine bleach.

So I have that choice, or just rinse the plants and throw them into the goldfish tank since goldfish and shrimp don't share the same pathogens.....