Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Planted Guppy Tank... Work in progress

Hi All,

I just wanted to get some opinions.  I have just planted my tropical tank, and so I thought I would share the pics to see if I am doing this right, as I have no idea what I am doing.   I have tried to plant so I can remove the plants to clean if needed, so they are all in pots/saucers, and the mosses and seaweed are on the ships decks for the same reason.

Koko, I rehomed the tetras, and the remaining 3 guppies have all come good in the last two days since I planted the tank.  I also added 3 drops of silver to the tank once I had finished planting, so I don't know if this might have helped the guppies along a little.  There is no sign of illness at all now.  I also have one small BN pleco in there, but I haven't seen it for two days.  I hope it is Ok.  I leave a small amount of food out for it just before I turn the lights off... either zucchini or a vege wafer, but often times neither are touched in the morning, so I don't know if all is ok there or not.  I really like my pleco.  I didn't think I would, but its so cute! 

Ok, so the only thing I know I have left to do is to boil the plecos piece of Mopani driftwood  for a couple of days, which came in the post, then add it.  I also have removed the pleco hide, as the pleco never uses it.  It prefers the ship to hide in.  The other issue I have is my air pump is dying, so I have to sort out repair/replacement tomorrow for that.  I have lowered the water level so the filter outlet gives some aeration too for the moment.

So here are the pics, here are my three guppies, can anyone id their type for me?

my boy

P1070304%202_zpsjqhljkk7.jpg

and my two girls... (the black and white one is always really fat and the boy is besotted with her... he tends to leave the red one alone a lot of the time).

P1070276%202_zpsun0jvhet.jpg

P1070270%202_zpsvulo7cxp.jpg

And here is the tank on its crumby old cupboard...

P1070296%202_zpsrevfmeu8.jpg

P1070258%202_zpsvgazonit.jpg

So have I done anything horridly wrong so far?  I wanted to get another trio of guppies and maybe, and this is a big maybe for the time being, another beta. 

It's looking good but I would search for that pleco as in a tank that size it should be easy to find without searching for it 

It's looking good but I would search for that pleco as in a tank that size it should be easy to find without searching for it 

I will have a really good look in the morning.  The only place he can be that I haven't disturbed looking for him in the last two days is in the ship (the ship is Hubbys idea and anything to keep him interested enough to help me do WC is a keeper, although it would be nice if the ship was a little smaller).... Will have to go on a pleco hunt... Thanks Goldfishfanforever! :hi

Not bad.  But I would remove the large ship and find something that didn't take up so much room. Like a smaller ship. Or maybe a piece of drift wood to attach the moss too and for the pleco to chew on.  Oh or one of these cute little cottages/castle ornaments.

But ultimately it is your tank and its about weather you like it.

Not bad.  But I would remove the large ship and find something that didn't take up so much room. Like a smaller ship. Or maybe a piece of drift wood to attach the moss too and for the pleco to chew on.  Oh or one of these cute little cottages/castle ornaments.

But ultimately it is your tank and its about weather you like it.

I would like that, but the ship is Hubbys present for the tank and an attempt to be interested and help, so I am not going to discourage that at the moment... in a few years maybe I can redo once I have convinced him that either we need a bigger tank for the ship (not a bad plan :teehee ) or a smaller ship... but he likes it so I am happy to bide my time a little longer.  I would love some little cottage and 'garden' around it, or an authentic looking lighthouse/castle, but ship it is for the moment. 

I have some small driftwood come in the post so I am going to put it in for the pleco, just have to boil it first to release some tannins and make sure no nasties are carried in on it.  Its about 3-4 times bigger than the pleco, an he is only small.  I just have to figure out where to put it...

Ahhh  I know about the weird things husbands want in the tanks. lol

Ahhh  I know about the weird things husbands want in the tanks. lol

Uhhuh... my Hubby is a beautiful person with Aspergers so I try to encourage any sign of any interest/interaction on any level I can to help him feel more comfortable, and maybe grow a little.  I love him just the way he is though!

Edited by Ree

Had to look that up. Didn't even know what it meant.  I in no way meant to offend. I didn't know.

Had to look that up. Didn't even know what it meant.  I in no way meant to offend. I didn't know.

That's Ok, I am in no way upset or offended.  I didn't even take it as a slight in any way, I thought your comment amusing.  Tell me some of the things your hubby has wanted in your tanks... I am intrigued now....

That same ship. He collects eagles and he wanted to know if some of his could go in the tank.  And of course the confederate flag for a back ground.

He is a redneck. lol

Edited by Hidr

One other thing you should add some driftwood because plecos rasp on it to get their fibre :)

That same ship. He collects eagles and he wanted to know if some of his could go in the tank.  And of course the confederate flag for a back ground.

He is a redneck. lol

Oh my... at least my Hubby only wanted the ship.... I will count my blessings now....  :teehee

One other thing you should add some driftwood because plecos rasp on it to get their fibre :)

Yep, all ready to go except I just have to boil it tomorrow for a while, then I can add it to the tank when it has cooled right down again.... but I have to find a spot for it to go too :whistle

Yep, all ready to go except I just have to boil it tomorrow for a while, then I can add it to the tank when it has cooled right down again.... but I have to find a spot for it to go too :whistle

Okay just wanted to make sure you knew ;)

Plecos are/can be shy. I had one for 16 years and all it did was hide, lol But I think it MIGHT be okay in your tank for now anyway. I just bought two babies and never see them. What you can do is at night give them cucumber and leave it, I have a veggie clip. They come out at night. Your guppies are beautiful, my mom used to have a guppy tank, so did I and they would breed like crazy, they will leave the babies alone as long as they have shelter. They will breed, usually you should have 1 male to 3 females, the female will be harassed less.

Nice set-up - your male guppy is really pretty, I especially like those leopard spotted ones with the fancy body markings :)

Looking good! Please be careful for he species of catfish you choose, most grow to monstrous sizes. Common Plecostomus shouldn't really be house in a tank less than about four feet long because of their own size!

Ancistrus (bristle nose plecs) are excellent and remain under five inches in length. They tend to be shy but shouldn't bother the guppies.

Plecos are/can be shy. I had one for 16 years and all it did was hide, lol But I think it MIGHT be okay in your tank for now anyway. I just bought two babies and never see them. What you can do is at night give them cucumber and leave it, I have a veggie clip. They come out at night. Your guppies are beautiful, my mom used to have a guppy tank, so did I and they would breed like crazy, they will leave the babies alone as long as they have shelter. They will breed, usually you should have 1 male to 3 females, the female will be harassed less.

Ahh thankyou.  I had read two to one for the guppy ratio... but that just doesn't seem to be working here!  Maybe the red one is younger than the other female?  I have noticed he is starting to pay her a little more attention in the last two days, so that might give the other female a break. 

I give my pleco some zucchini.  I will try the cucumber too.  Maybe he is just a fussy eater?

Looking good! Please be careful for he species of catfish you choose, most grow to monstrous sizes. Common Plecostomus shouldn't really be house in a tank less than about four feet long because of their own size!

Ancistrus (bristle nose plecs) are excellent and remain under five inches in length. They tend to be shy but shouldn't bother the guppies.

I only want a BN pleco in there.  You are right, the tank would be too small for a common!  :yikes  Plus I like the bristles on the BN plecos... they remind me of Muppets characters! :teehee

Okay just wanted to make sure you knew ;)

No that's great, thankyou.  I would rather you mention it then if I didn't know I would then!  Tis all good!  :hi

Very nice!!!

Thankyou Heidi030! :hi

Nice set-up - your male guppy is really pretty, I especially like those leopard spotted ones with the fancy body markings :)

Thankyou Shahbazin, again he was Hubbys choice.  He is very pretty and quite a little character! :hi

About the female guppies and why one is getting chased more is that the males luke the fatter ladies so that's why he is chasing the blue one more and I would think it is because she can carry more babies because she is bigger

About the female guppies and why one is getting chased more is that the males luke the fatter ladies so that's why he is chasing the blue one more and I would think it is because she can carry more babies because she is bigger

Ah, that makes sense... so when I get another guppy I should look for a really fat one?  That way I will know she is already pregnant, and also that will add more genetics to the tank?

Your last photo I really, really liked how you had plants coming out in a couple of areas in your husbands ship.  I think it looks cool.

He is a redneck. lol

Oh my... at least my Hubby only wanted the ship.... I will count my blessings now....  :teehee

When my boyfriend got interested in the fish with me, we had several Dr. Who themed decorations for a while. Unfortunately, we can't put them in with the goldfish because they have pointy spots and that doesn't mesh well with fish with protruding eyes.  :teehee   (As an aside, both me and my boyfriend have Asperger's. :) )

I believe the male guppy in the first photo is often referred to as a yellow snakeskin guppy. It's harder to tell what types the females are because they don't show the full pattern like the males. Here is a link with some info: https://guppiesonli.wordpress.com/category/guppy-strains-library/

Your last photo I really, really liked how you had plants coming out in a couple of areas in your husbands ship.  I think it looks cool.

Thankyou 4prettyfish!

He is a redneck. lol

When my boyfriend got interested in the fish with me, we had several Dr. Who themed decorations for a while. Unfortunately, we can't put them in with the goldfish because they have pointy spots and that doesn't mesh well with fish with protruding eyes.  :teehee   (As an aside, both me and my boyfriend have Asperger's. :) )

I believe the male guppy in the first photo is often referred to as a yellow snakeskin guppy. It's harder to tell what types the females are because they don't show the full pattern like the males. Here is a link with some info: https://guppiesonli.wordpress.com/category/guppy-strains-library/

I can imagine my Hubby would be all for a Dr Who tank!  He loves Dr Who, Star Trek, Blake's Seven etc...

Ah, fellow Aspies!  I will tell him.... I really love so many characteristics of my Hubbys Asperger's.  I love that he cannot lie to me, that he is always completely if not brutally honest (though he has learnt to be a little more tactful since we got married).  I love the way he looks at the world.  It is so different from my view.  I love him to pieces, but sometimes I feel like I need to protect him too.  The only thing I wish is that he wasn't so tormented.  He feels like an outsider so much of the time, not with me, but with other people.  One on one he handles everything quite ok, but put him in a room with more than one person talking at a time, or talking about something he has no interest or knowledge of and he is all at sea.  But I do love him, just as he is. 

We had some interesting times when we first got married.  It was like we just kept misunderstanding each other, so I thought that research might be the key to me understanding better.  I found this book... It is amazing and looks at a relationship from both the Aspie viewpoint and the non-Aspie.  It made such a difference to me and how I viewed him.   Here is the link... http://www.amazon.com.au/Asperger-Syndrome-Spectrum-Long-Term-Relationships-ebook/dp/B00NLNPMXS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438589024&sr=8-2&keywords=asperger+syndrome+and+long+term+relationships

Sorry, got off topic...  Thankyou so much for the guppy link.  Ill have a read!