Sign in to follow this  
LiquidOxygen

Unable to figure out why my goldfish are gulping. Help!

:hi5  Give your husband a :bighug from all of us.  :rofl3

Glad to hear it's going well.  :D

P.S. This time I want to set-up their new tank the proper way. I'll search through your topics for research. Time to go shopping!!

Your husband is awesome!

Can't wait to see your new tank (and hopefully some pics of your goldies as well)

That's super of him!

,,,,,After telling my husband about what my goldfish are going through. He said, Honey, let's get you a nice large tank for them.  :thumbup2:

I hope your fish continue to improve! And sounds like your husband's a great guy :)

Thanks ya'll! I'm one lucky gal! fantail1, I'm sure I will. I'm a worry wort. :madrant Biltz, I sure will. Maybe I'll figure this photo sharing thing out. So I can post them right here on this site.  :idea 

Things are going some what well so far. I've turned the lights down to the lowest level. They weren't gulping the first two days. But, every once in awhile I'll hear gulping from the other room. There is foam collecting on the top of the tank water. [back ground story]: A few weeks ago a car plowed down the electric and cable poll down the street from my house. Knocked the power out in my entire neighborhood. The first time it was out all night. Probably why my tank went through another mini-cycle. (I felt the need to clean the tank after). It went out again this morning around 2 a.m. until about 3 a.m. So, this time for only about an hour. I was freaking out. Of All Times for this to happen! (I'm buying a plug in back up battery) Could that have caused the water to start foaming? The top hasn't foamed before. I also forgot to ask. Do I change the water out during this 7-8 day process?

Here's a newbie question. After using my siphon and buckets, What is this best product to clean them with? I've simply been using Primed water after every use. I have buckets for adding water and separate buckets for dirty water. I ask this because I've read over and over that Ich is because of water quality conditions. I have a routine of cleaning that I felt had been working. I'm careful to make sure no impurities enter the water and I scrub my hands until they're almost raw. 

I know, so many questions. I'm sorry.

Oh no...

Ammonia : 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: Looks like between 0.25- 050 ppm

Nitrate 0:

I took out that carbon in all the filters. Lost some goo in the process. Plus they pooped alot last night.

It's just a cycle bump. Don't panic. I'm having one myself, right now, when you clean or mess with filters or add new fish it can sometimes knock back the beneficial bacteria population for a time. Just do water changes and keep testing your water to keep the parameters where it needs to be.

Please also consider adding aquarium salt or an appropriate salt with no additives (rock salt, sea salt, pickling salt, etc) at 1 teaspoon per gallon (3/4 teaspoons per gallon is the salt is very powdery and fine like pickling salt) - this will help the fish with the toxicity of the nitrite while your stabilizes again :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks Arctic Mama. I just did a 30% water change. With 1/2 tsp of Aquarium Salt. I still had the salt in the tank from the ich treatment.

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite :0.25

I was able to get the Nitrite to go down a bit. I lowered the temperature to 78 degrees, from 80. I have the lights out over the tank. They are all sucking /gulping at the top of the tank. On a good note. The spots on Midnight are all gone, exempt for one at the base of his dorsal fin. They've been eating great. I'm going to try my best not to panic. I'm going to keep up the ich treatment. I'm going to be doing a 25% water change everyday, until I get my readings back to 0. Lowering the salt amount per gallon. Thanks again

Sounds good. Keep us posted :)

Here is an update on treating my goldfish for Ich. All the little white specks of Ich are gone from my fish. They all look great with no outward signs of any parasites. Yesterday I changed the water 50%. I slowly lowered the water temperature from 80 degrees to 74 (that's room temperature here in Texas, it's 104 degrees outside). :sick I replaced the salt, 1/2 teaspoon per gallon in the tank to prepare them for the first treatment of Flukes. I switched out one of those old filters that I cut to get the carbon out, with one I made. The Ammonia and Nitrite spiked. Ammonia 0.25 and Nitrite 0.25. 

My water testing today was Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.0. I did a 10% water change and added the treatment. I'm using Aqua-Prazi powder. Pete my Oranda, was the only one who acted affected by Prazi. With flashing for about a 30 seconds. Then became calm. I plan on giving them 3 to 4 treatments, maybe more if needed. They still have labored breathing and will occasionally gulp at the top of the tank. With a yawn now and then. They swim freely and have great appetites. If Fluke is not the cause of the gulping, I'll have to go another route. Thanks to all of you for your support and advice along this path to healthy breathing fish. 

Not an expert, but it might be a good idea to keep the heat up for a couple of weeks AFTER you see the last spot of ich to make sure it is fully eradicated. Glad they are feeling better!

Not an expert, but it might be a good idea to keep the heat up for a couple of weeks AFTER you see the last spot of ich to make sure it is fully eradicated. Glad they are feeling better!

I believe she kept the heat and salt up for a good 7 days after she saw the last spot of ich . . .

I believe she kept the heat and salt up for a good 7 days after she saw the last spot of ich . . .

Ah, sorry, shouldn't have commented!

:hug:k055:

Actually I was just looking back at the thread.  I'm not so sure she did.  I think I was confusing this thread with another I was helping on . . .

LO--you need to keep salt at 0.3% and heat up to 78*ish for 7-10 days after the last spot of ich is seen or you will most likely see it return. 

Edit:  Then again, maybe she did.  :rofl3

Edited by fantailfan1

I have had the salt in the tank for 12 days now. I rose the temperature to 78 degrees in the tank within the first day of the Ich treatment, with salt. After the 3rd day I turned the temperature up to 80 degrees. Only last night, did I begin to lower the temperature. And today lowered it to 74 degrees. That's a total of 9 days with 78-80 degrees. There is salt in with the treatment for flukes. On day 6 I will preform a 50% water change without adding salt. With another dose of Prazi. 

But the key is--when did you see the last spot of ich?  :idont  A total of 9 days is great as long as you didn't see ich past day 2 . . .

I began the first day of treatment July 31st. The spots on Midnight were gone on the second day of treatment. Today I have begun their 1st day of treatment for Fluke. 

I'm here to learn and receive, all the help and advice that I can. Thanks ya'll for helping through this.  :)