Kara Murray

Help: Sick Little Fantail

* Ammonia Level(Tank)-0
* Nitrite Level(Tank)-0
* Nitrate level(Tank)-0
* Ammonia Level(Tap)-0
* Nitrite Level(Tap)-0
* Nitrate level(Tap)-0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)-pH=7.6 Cl2=0 KH=10d GH= 8d

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) -pH=7.6 Cl2=0 KH=10d GH= 8d

Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Tetra
* Water temperature? 20 degrees
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons, 7 weeks at least.
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 2 plus
* How often do you change the water and how much? 10-20 per day.
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?She just moved in today..
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, 1 inch
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquarian tap treatment.
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra Fancy goldfish, gold Japan.
* Any new fish added to the tank? Nope
* Any medications added to the tank? Nope
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.-None
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?-She has three holes in her dorsal fin and has a few patches of missing scales.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She sometimes bottom sits, then swims around, searches for food. But when I feed her, she tries to eat the food then it gets caught in her mouth and she spits it out again.

My friend recently had to move, but didn't want to take their goldfish with them as it is forbidden to have pets in their new apartment.

So the poor little goldfish has been left with me.

Currently the goldfish is in a 10 gallon tank that has already been cycled, etc, I had before, which is where my two little girls lived before I had upgraded them.

The poor little goldfish has a hole or two in her dorsal fin and has what looks to be missing scales in patches. She sort of eats, she might spit out one or two. She is currently sitting in the corner of her tank, doing an occasional swim around.

I really don't want to bring her to a pet-shop as the aquariums are tiny and cramped there.

Also, she will go for the food and try and eat it, but it sort of sits in her mouth while she tries to chew /eat it, then she can't/won't and spits it out again..

Could I please some assistance with her too?

If I could upload photos, I would. I also have a terrible camera so her injuries do not show up.

But if you truly want, I can try..

You say the tank is cycled.  Did you keep the tank running after you moved out your fish?  If so, did you add ammonia (or some source of ammonia) to keep the cycle going?  How long has it been since there were fish in the 10 gallon?

Pics would be very helpful.  Have you every used photobucket.com to upload pics?  It's fairly simple.

Is the food that the fish is spitting out the food your friend was feeding or is it a new food that you gave?  :idont

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

Has this fish ever been treated for flukes, to your knowledge? It looked like there was no treatment indicated above but I wasn't sure if you verified that with the owner :)

Apologies, yes the tank has always been cycling, apart from one day when there was a power outage, that was it.

I don't know for sure, I am pretty sure she fed the fish flakes. I fed mine sinking pellets to prevent them swallowing air.

But when I fed her my flakes she paid no attention to them...

I honestly do not know. She just told me that she couldn't bring the fish with her and wanted me to look after it.

Also, thank you, Hedio30. I do too. :)

She seems to have brightened a bit and is swimming more actively.

But she still has the patches and a hole in her dorsal fin, I have a picture I am trying to upload but it doesn't do her injuries incredible justice.

How is she doing???  It could be a lot of thing but the best way to help is a picture. What size tank was she is before? Did this start is your tank or her tank?

For treatment of injuries nothing beats very clean water.  

It sometimes takes a while for a goldfish to realize that a new food is edible, particularly if it doesn't see another fish eating it.

I can't get photo-bucket to work, at all.

During feeding today, she did eat one pellet. 

I think she was in a 2-5 gallon tank, I honestly do not know. But she is in my 10 gallon quarantine right now.

I have been doing 90% water changes daily.

Also her is a photo, I honestly do not know if it will work or not..This was snapped on my phone, excuse the terrible quality. It doesn't exactly do her justice.

This was the only good photo I could get, I may have recently dropped my phone into the sink..

4785341.jpg?731

How's the activity level?

Do you have frozen bloodworms?  Most fish can figure out quickly that they are food and they are very yummy.  :rofl3

I don't, but I can try getting my hands on some.

I heard they are good for them..?

Yes, they are.  And GF find them so enticing that they rarely will refuse them so it might be a good thing to try.  I wouldn't feed bloodworms alone but it's a start to get him eating.  :D

Update on her too, she is fully healed up and has quite a large appetite, haha. She is fine now.

Thank you all for the assistance! :)

Yay! I'm glad she's doing well.

Has she kept her two tone colors? I'd love to see a happy and healthy update pic. :)