Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

My 7 Gallon Walstad Tank Journal

Guess I don't have the patience right now for all that. I just been letting them float. lol

Guess I don't have the patience right now for all that. I just been letting them float. lol

Yeah I get super fed up with plants sometimes but when I do I just stop messing with the tank and leave it until the next water change :)

After the trim today I added my two female gups but it looked way too small for guppies so I moved them back out and I think I may get a betta or some shrimps or both but any ideas are welcome :D. Anyway here is the tank before (that I posted earlier) and the tank after the trim. I trimmed the anacharis and the plant in the front right corner:

WP_20150728_01_50_00_Pro_zpsqa3m2hc7.jpg

WP_20150728_23_02_56_Pro_zpsbonvky07.jpg

WP_20150728_23_03_23_Pro_zpsitqag1b3.jpg

Darn I liked them all tall. hehe Great looking little tank.

Edited by Hidr

Darn I liked them all tall. hehe Great looking little tank.

They needed trimming as I need more of the gravel covered in plants as I don't have a filter oh and don't worry they will have grown tall again in a couple of weeks :D

I got a betta and 5 red cherry shrimps :D I will put pictures on in a few hours as we are going out but I fell in love with him on first sight (even though I wanted a female) 

Hey guys another update as some of you know an empty tank doesn't last long so today I went to my favourite LPS (that I now work at because it is the summer break for 2 half days) and went for some red cherry shrimp and possibly a female betta. I left with 5 red cherry shrimp (I believe the males are super red as well as two have see through on them) and a gorgeous white/gold male betta. The lighting on this tank is super bad but its a low tech tank so its all I have :(. So here are the pics:

P1060950_zpsprcxxln9.jpg

P1060943_zpsvpqtmthm.jpg

P1060951_zpszukuooir.jpg

P1060948_zpswhyfvb1b.jpg

P1060947_zpsrhl743tm.jpg

P1060945_zpsvjdoz7yo.jpg

P1060941_zpskxszbxzb.jpg

P1060940_zpsgrun3udg.jpg

P1060942_zpsr3apae3a.jpg

P1060946_zpsbjiayimo.jpg

P1060934_zpstmdwnhdl.jpg

P1060932_zpsccamq2mr.jpg

P1060937_zpsreguv6np.jpg

P1060936_zps0kimjeyx.jpg

P1060929_zpsolny8uce.jpg

P1060930_zpshdy4utc8.jpg

Absolutely love that betta.

Absolutely love that betta.

Thank you the light doesn't do the betta any justice as it makes it look way yellower than what he actually is but I will look into a new bulb that is more daylight looking :)

I've looked at ones online like that but $$$ was to much for me. I just can spend over $50 on a betta. So ill just keep looking at petsmart and hope to luck out one day.

I've looked at ones online like that but $$$ was to much for me. I just can spend over $50 on a betta. So ill just keep looking at petsmart and hope to luck out one day.

my betta I believe was £4.95 or $7.73 the shrimp were £1.50 each or $2.34 each and I also got a bigger heat mat for my hermit crabs for £18.99 or $29.64 and I got 20% discount because I work there for two half days every week in the summer break :)

Got two new plants but only one would fit as the java moss looked out of place and I had nowhere for it but there is little bits of it everywhere well that's another water change tomorrow.

Cause of you I redid my betta's five gallon tank. lol Still not as nice as yours but much better then it was.  Still need to clean the front to get pictures.  Love you betta.  My betta started out mostly white with a hint of blue now he is all blue.  Guess goldfish are not the only fish that do color changes.

Working on it.   :mad: Photobucket is not letting me edit.  grrrrrr

Edited by Hidr

Cause of you I redid my betta's five gallon tank. lol Still not as nice as yours but much better then it was.  Still need to clean the front to get pictures.  Love you betta.  My betta started out mostly white with a hint of blue now he is all blue.  Guess goldfish are not the only fish that do color changes.

I'm sorry I made you redo your tank but you can't change the past now :D

I love your new betta.  Your jungle looks awesome all grown out or trimmed down. :yikes  :P  :wub:  It's beautiful either way and I'm sure your betta is loving his home also.  

I love your new betta.  Your jungle looks awesome all grown out or trimmed down. :yikes  :P  :wub:  It's beautiful either way and I'm sure your betta is loving his home also.  

Thanks its already regrowing into a jungle but that's what I get when choosing fast growing plants but I think I like the jungle look anyway it looks more natural :D

Ya right.  :teehee

Ya right.  :teehee
I know I am ;)

I believe I now also have planaria in the tank now as well YaY for me :( Anyway I will do a waterchange to get the small bits of java moss that are left out and I will try and get some of the planaria out at the same time. Do you guys think I am fully stocked with 1 betta and 5 rcs or could I add say I don't know something smaller?? Also I will add a pic tomorrow for you guys

Your betta is beautiful! If you do have planaria, you'll want to consider cutting down on the feeding. Also a thorough cleaning would be good. Worse case scenario would be using No Planaria which is a betel nut based product. I had to do this with my shrimp tank. If you do use this product, you'll need to do lots of water changes, because when the planaria die there will be lots of ammonia as a result. No Planaria did not harm the shrimp.

Your betta is beautiful! If you do have planaria, you'll want to consider cutting down on the feeding. Also a thorough cleaning would be good. Worse case scenario would be using No Planaria which is a betel nut based product. I had to do this with my shrimp tank. If you do use this product, you'll need to do lots of water changes, because when the planaria die there will be lots of ammonia as a result. No Planaria did not harm the shrimp.

Thanks I have stopped feeding and the betta is eating the plantains but I also need to do a water change like you said to do.

Loving the development of your tank and plants so far. I'm sorry if I missed it but are you dosing the tank with anything for the plant growth?

Loving the development of your tank and plants so far. I'm sorry if I missed it but are you dosing the tank with anything for the plant growth?

Thanks and no all I have is tropica plant substrate underneath the sand and gravel as I want this tank to be low tech. I have another tank though that I dose with liquid ferts and CO2 but its a much bigger tank.