Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

My 7 Gallon Walstad Tank Journal

Hello guys I just thought I would start a journal sort of thing for my newly setup Walstad Tank and my low tech journey with it :). This tank is a 28 litre/ 7 gallon tank that housed some baby bristlenose plecos and my dwarf puffer for sme time until I moved my bristlenose fry out on the 23rd of July. The tank was practically bare except for a piece of mopani wood with anubias nana on it and a plant pot. I scrubbed the tank out on the 23rd and added Tropica plant substrate, then playsand and in some areas natural gravel. I then planted some anacharis, some jungle val, my anubias log and some water wisteria. I also added a heater and my dwarf puffer later that day. The next day I noticed some cloudiness so I did a 50% water change and added prime and also some microswords that I had bought that day to sand area which I cornered off with some small round pebbles and then planted the microswords in. The day after that which was the 25th I noticed the water was cloudy again so I bought another bunch of anacharis and two other types of plants and planted them after a 70% water change and I also added about 20 Malaysian trumpet snails. Today when I looked at the tank it was clear and some of the plants have noticeably grown since last night so this leads onto picture time :D I took one picture last night and I will continue to do it every Saturday unless I see something I want to take a photo of as well throughout the week. I also plan on adding some red cherry shrimp but I'm not sure with the dwarf puffer so I would like so opinions on that but without further ado here is the fts pic (yes only one pic :D)

WP_20150725_21_59_16_Pro_zpsj566asnc.jpg

It's so green!

Thanks I'm hoping non of the plants will melt but who knows and also the dwarf puffer is so difficult to find in the jungle but he loves swimming through all the plants so if he's happy I'm happy  :D

Happy fish are the best.

Yes they are and especially when they chase your finger along the glass :D

I was just feeding my dwarf puffer some frozen bloodworms and he kept resting on the floor and I just checked on him and I think he is dead and has a bloodworm in his mouth could he have choked??

Tank looks wonderful. Sorry about your puffer fish.

Tank looks wonderful. Sorry about your puffer fish.

Thanks and one minute he was swimming around and then he was just resting on the bottom with a bloodworm in his mouth :(

I think I may go with a betta and some red cherry shrimp or just some shrimp as I could get another dwarf puffer but it would remind me too much of the one that just passed. I am going to wait till Friday or Saturday before I buy anything though so I have time to decide.

Shrimp would be the way I would go. They love turning over of the sand and help keep it clean.

Shrimp would be the way I would go. They love turning over of the sand and help keep it clean.

Okay the pet store is getting in red cherry shrimp, crystal red shrimp, crystal black shrimp, crystal gold shrimp and some others in so what should I get??

LOL ones you can see?

Saw some of the mts surfing around in the tank and they are adorable :P I never thought a snail could be cute :)

I'm thinking of doing a trim of the anacharis tomorrow but I may leave it till the weekend whatever happens I will take a before and after photo

That's weird about the puffer, I'm sorry it died suddenly. The tank looks great and you could definitely maintain some shrimp in there, but be aware ice had three betas now who think shrimp are snacks. Keeping an invertebrate rank, however, could be really fun. Crayfish, in particular, are SO fascinating to watch.

That's weird about the puffer, I'm sorry it died suddenly. The tank looks great and you could definitely maintain some shrimp in there, but be aware ice had three betas now who think shrimp are snacks. Keeping an invertebrate rank, however, could be really fun. Crayfish, in particular, are SO fascinating to watch.

I think I am gonna pass the betta as I have had them before and are either a hit or miss so I am thinking this as my stocking:

3 guppies 1m/2f

5-10 red cherry shrimp

20 mts 

how does that sound for now??

The tank on the 25th:

WP_20150725_21_59_16_Pro_zpsj566asnc.jpg

The tank today on the 28th:

WP_20150728_01_50_00_Pro_zpsqa3m2hc7.jpg

you can see growth and sorry for the glare :(

Very pretty. I am so jealous. You need to come to my house and redo my planted 20 gallon.

Very pretty. I am so jealous. You need to come to my house and redo my planted 20 gallon.

Thanks :) I just did a trim of the anacharis and the plant in the front right corner. It's not that pretty its more a jungle, well was a jungle but will soon become a jungle again :). I'm sure your planted 20 gallon tank looks awesome :D

Nope having some issues with plants not staying down and very little growth.  Its very much in needs of some work.

Nope having some issues with plants not staying down and very little growth.  Its very much in needs of some work.

I have that problem in my bigger tank that the plants won't stay down but i just replant them over and over again until they do