Super Glue, Plants and fish...

Ree

I have tried to be a little bit brave today... I have just tested some rocks with the vinegar test, all good.  So I have glued some PP treated Java ferns to the rocks.  I tried fishing line, but couldn't get it to work... fumble fingers hey! 

So I have used Loctite Gel Control Super Glue.  http://www.bunnings.com.au/loctite-3g-control-gel-super-glue_p1210029

How long do I have to wait after gluing before adding the plants to the goldfish tank?

Thanks so much!

• Helper

Will be good Ree :D I super glued an ornament back together after I broke it once and just put it back in a couple minutes after the glue was all dry and hardened and it was perfectly fine :)

:yikes  They have been tasted and approved of... :bye2:  LOL I hope they establish themselves before a full course meal is had... :feedme  :teehee

For future reference for anyone reading.  That glue can even be used under water and still be safe :) Because its a gel it stays together. I have used it on numerous occasions directly under water and apart from gluing my fingers together never had an issue.

For future reference for anyone reading.  That glue can even be used under water and still be safe :) Because its a gel it stays together. I have used it on numerous occasions directly under water and apart from gluing my fingers together never had an issue.

Thanks Calamity, I didn't know you could do that.   I have however done the finger gluing together trick in the past.  I discovered that it is very difficult to dial a phone to get your father in law to come over with some thinners when you have your fingers stuck together   :teehee

I have tried to be a little bit brave today... I have just tested some rocks with the vinegar test, all good.  So I have glued some PP treated Java ferns to the rocks.  I tried fishing line, but couldn't get it to work... fumble fingers hey! 

So I have used Loctite Gel Control Super Glue.  http://www.bunnings.com.au/loctite-3g-control-gel-super-glue_p1210029

How long do I have to wait after gluing before adding the plants to the goldfish tank?

Thanks so much!

How did you go with your new plant?

Thanks so much!

Hi docians!  Yah it went good, no reactions from anyone... and the plants stayed put!  So far they have only been tasted.... occasionally... hopefully I am feeding them enough not to have them devoured...

Here are some photos, only they turned out really blue.  I have to sort out how to use my camera one day!

Crested java fern

P1070143%202_zpsa3gh8dks.jpg

Standard java fern

P1070142%202_zps3mdnwez2.jpg

Thanks so much!

Hi docians!  Yah it went good, no reactions from anyone... and the plants stayed put!  So far they have only been tasted.... occasionally... hopefully I am feeding them enough not to have them devoured...

Here are some photos, only they turned out really blue.  I have to sort out how to use my camera one day!

Crested java fern

Standard java fern

Nice

Did you get your plants online?

Thanks so much!

Crested java fern

Standard java fern

Nice

Yep, I got them from a young bloke named Luke.  He is just starting out I think.  I was really happy with his plants!  He has mainly java ferns at the moment, but is looking to get some more stock in.  Ill PM you his site if you like.  :-)

Thanks so much!

Crested java fernP1070143%202_zpsa3gh8dks.jpg

Standard java fernP1070142%202_zps3mdnwez2.jpg

Nice

Yep, I got them from a young bloke named Luke.  He is just starting out I think.  I was really happy with his plants!  He has mainly java ferns at the moment, but is looking to get some more stock in.  Ill PM you his site if you like.  :-)

Yes thanks I do need more plants and the last one I picked from my LFS gave me free snails

Nice

Yes thanks I do need more plants and the last one I picked from my LFS gave me free snails

Is that a good thing?  or a bad thing?  :teehee

• Admin

Nice

I feel your pain... same thing happened to me... :thud:

Nice

I feel your pain... same thing happened to me... :thud:

So far no snails from Lukes plants... so far... :D

Looks lovely! :)

The crested java fern is called windelov (microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'). It's a smaller variety of java fern.

Looks lovely! :)

The crested java fern is called windelov (microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'). It's a smaller variety of java fern.

Ahhh thanks Dan.  I hope I can keep it alive. 

You might be able to tell me, I have read that plants respond to red light.  I have RGB led lights in my hood, so I can choose what colour they are.  Would it make any difference having them on red for  few hours a day?

:hi

• Admin

I glued my anubias to a piece of mopani wood and then put it in the tank and non of my fish died when I did it :)

Thats a very good thing : :teehee

You might be able to tell me, I have read that plants respond to red light.  I have RGB led lights in my hood, so I can choose what colour they are.  Would it make any difference having them on red for few hours a day?

:hi

I really don't know if there would be a discernible difference. I know of people that have added red heavy bulbs to fixtures to help bring out colour in red plants, but it was balanced out with other bulbs and in high tech tanks where change occurs more rapidly.

I'm not a botanist so I don't understand the more detailed science, but basically chlorophyll absorption is more efficient (if that's a way to word it) between 400-450nm (blue wavelength) and 650-670nm (red wavelength). That is why you if you look at the spectrum analysis of whatever it is you've bought, you'll often find those designed for plants have more emphasis on blues and reds and not so much greens and yellows.