Black marks persisting after QT

Hi people,

I made a post in the Quarantine section, however I think it will get less response than if i create a new post in this section.

The link is here : http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121670-black-spot-appeared-after-saltprazi-treatment-also-burst-bubble/

A copy, paste of the recent post I need some advice on is below :

Hello Folks,

Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd revive this one.

Our fish Hype has finished his QT session at least 2 weeks ago. As you can see from this original post, the black spots first appeared WELL over a month ago.

I have been informed it is normal for a fish recovering from some form of trauma, it appeared after his salt/prazi treatment so I assume the one on his back was from flukes (Which oughta be gone now...)

His cheek obviously would be because it was damaged by the syphon.

My question is, how long do these black marks normally stay around for? Even his fins have a black tinge to them and I want to make sure it's just a matter of biding my time, rather than me overlooking something I need to do?

Here are some recent pictures

23rqykh.jpg

2z3no79.jpg

Your help on this matter would be appreciated as always

Thanks

This looks like black coloration to me. All fish go through a coloration change at some point. With red fish, it is often so subtle that we can see the difference, but with all other colors, you will see a change at some point. My guess is that the black will fade away at some point.

Is the fins in any way or form torn, red, have red streaks or frayed? Are there visible blood veins in the eyes?

If no to these questions, then the fish is healthy and going through a colorchange, that might stem for different water parameters and different foods :)

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 10-20 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6-7.8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit
      • * Water temperature? 16-18 degrees varying
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30ish litre QT tank
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? JEBO AP-900
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 30-50% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 50%, 4 days
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, bubble eyes approx 2 inch head to tip of tail, pearlscale less than one inch
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Fraction
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes and peas, 2-3 times a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Pearl was added over a month ago before the QT began
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Not currently
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. -- Salt and prazi were used as a part of the 5 round treatment as per kokos forum instructions on it
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Sometimes hype sits and relaxes after eating a pea, possible because he is a guts. haha

I have filled the checklist out as requested.

These black spots only started appearing after Prazi/Salt treatment had begun. At first it was just the large black patch on his back.

After he got sucked into the vacuum and one of his bubbles popped, it also appeared on the healing bubble (which is now back to its full size in less than 4 weeks time)

However, as already stated it appears to be in more spots than before. Why his fins have a slight black tinge to it I do not know, he has not been exposed to any high ammonia or trauma that I can see causing this?

No, the fins do not appear torn, red or frayed. His food and water parameters have been consistent also (apart from obviously the prazi and salt treatment).

Why would a colour change occur with no changes you mentioned do you think? Is it only a temporary thing and eventually it will fade?

As long as he is healthy and safe, I do not mind him with a few patches on him hahaha. Scars of a soldier considering what he has been through since we first got him (slight ammonia due to cycling issues, popped bubble for example)

Goldfish change color.  They have never told us why.  :)   Most often they lose color, particularly black, so when a fish gains black color, we typically interpret that as melanin deposits at the site of healing tissue injury.  While these deposits usually go away in a week or so, they can last up to a month.  

You have a small quarantine tank.  Do you check ammonia and nitrite every two days (before changing water)?  It doesn't take much ammonia to cause burns.