Another Eye Blister

Black

I've just done his 2% dip.

He seemed to be breathing less rapidly this time, but he's been back in the tank about 5 minutes now and doesn't seem bothered yet that there are pellets waiting to be eaten. If he doesn't move in the next 5 minutes, I might give him a little nudge

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

i would increase only a half percent.. so 2.5% but if you think he can hold off a day, i personally prefer salt dips to be one every other day. unless of course you think that googs can handle them that close together.

Don't worry Helen, the last one I did was yesterday. I was asking in advance for tomorrow :)

I have just taken this pic. The blisters seem to be on both eyes now:

62af3f978d4ab0c953dc5aa4de465c22_zpsdjcq

• Supporter

i think it's time for Metronidazole. whatever is causing him to blister (most likely infection), will need to be treated since current treatments at best, have failed to stop it in it's tracks and now it's getting worse. 

• Supporter

just to be clear, i do not know what this is. i am not sure what it could be. it could be a virus since it's recurring every 4-6 months. sometimes (as my Rocky did) a virus can bring on secondary infections. all i could do was to treat the symptoms, however, like googs, they did come back eventually and were treated each time. Rocky lived for 10 or so years with her issues and she was treated for the same symptoms about a dozen times with good results.

Ok, thank you Helen.

I'm currently doing:

- salt dips ever other day (3rd one tomorrow)

- Epsom in the tank (to be removed tomorrow- day 8)

- daily silver baths.

I think PraziPro was going to be the next step.

How and when shall I treat with metronidazole?

What other meds should I stop during this treatment?

Also, I don't know if this is useful information to know, but his eye blisters seem to always coincide with what looks to be growth spurts (wobbly eyes/fluid rings)

• Supporter

keep going with the Epsom, go for 14 days or until the fluid retention is gone. stop the silver baths for now. and i am advising against doing the next salt bath. what metronidazole do you have?

• Supporter

ok, it's almost 2am here and i need to get going. if the product you have is 100% metronidazole, then 200mg for every 10 gallons. if you have more than 10 gallons, reduce your tank to 10 gallons so that the medicine lasts you longer.

waterchange every other day, or check params, you may be able to stretch it to 3 days but do a 50% on the 3rd day and replenish meds (including epsom).

good luck :)

in the past, when you treated and after the blisters are gone, is there noticeable growth in the eyes? or do the fluid rings just recede and the eyes look normal again?

In honesty I'm not 100% sure. Both eyes are the biggest they've ever been and they seem to grow independently. The eye that always gets the blister seems to have huge spurts in growth and then the other eye slowly catches up.

Before this recent blister, they looked fairly even in size, but the blistery eye looks huge again

ok, it's almost 2am here and i need to get going. if the product you have is 100% metronidazole, then 200mg for every 10 gallons. if you have more than 10 gallons, reduce your tank to 10 gallons so that the medicine lasts you longer.

waterchange every other day, or check params, you may be able to stretch it to 3 days but do a 50% on the 3rd day and replenish meds (including epsom).

good luck :)

Thank you Helen, I have metroplex

I still have Metromeds but they are probably not useable anymore are they?

I will have to change to my old tank, as the integrated filter doesn't work on his current one when there is less than 80L of water in there.

I will transfer my sponge filter to it (which should have sufficient bacteria by now)

Am I still doing 1tsp of epsom per 10gal?

I don't know what I'm thinking. I just need to use the same tank but use the sponge filter instead :rolleyes:

Can I put the rings and floss from the integrated filter into the water so that it won't dry up while it's not in use. Will this keep the bacteria alive?

Edited by Black

I don't know what I'm thinking. I just need to use the same tank but use the sponge filter instead :rolleyes:

Can I put the rings and floss from the integrated filter into the water so that it won't dry up while it's not in use. Will this keep the bacteria alive?

That will work.

Update:

ea0706cebcbcd6f01c3a857b7d451d7d_zpscvb7

- He's now in 10g of water

- 250mg Metroplex

- Epsom (I've decided to give the Epsom another chance to work without the salt dips)

I'm going to do 50% wc every other day.

Do I put in another 250mg Metroplex with every change?

Edited by Black

Day 5.

50% WC done.

I probably should have done it yesterday but I wasn't well.

- 125mg metroplex

- 1/8 Epsom

His blister is still very much there. If there has been an improvement, it's only a very small one.

I need to take comparison photos soon.

Tail has red blotches again, as well as white. I don't think having to use the weaker filter has done it much good as it doesn't seem very affective for sucking up debris from the tank floor. I have been wiping down the glass daily though, as usual.

Day 8.

WC and same again.

Blister does look slightly smaller.

Pics later as its too light outside and I can't seem to get rid of the window reflections which are distorting the photos.

Lots of red on tail :(