Another Eye Blister

Black

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.  I would like you to do three salt dips (every other day) in the next week.  The first will use 1% salt.  After we see his reaction to that dip, we will decide whether to increase the salt for the next dip. While some people claim that continuous salt baths can make dropsy worse, others claim to successfully treat dropsy with salt baths.  In any case, a short salt dip will have no effect on swelling.  The salt dips will both strip off slime coat and encourage the production of fresh slime.  This will make a mess in the tank, but will expose flukes for later treatment with prazipro and expose infected wounds to the silver.

Continue the current silver treatment (Daily dips?) unless Koko says otherwise. 

Have 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of epsom salt in his tank. 

At the end of the week, change the tank water and add prazipro.  We will have nothing else in the tank water.  When you change water during this week, add prazipro to the new water.  You may continue silver dips during this week.

I won't recommend the next week's treatment until we see how this works.

Edited by shakaho

I don't mind him changing colour if it doesn't affect him negatively in any way.

Just to double check, in case I make a mistake...

1) I currently have 1/4 tsp per 10gal of epsom in the tank. I should raise that to 1tsp per 10 gal?

2) I can definitely do the salt dips as well the silver treatment AND have the epsom in the tank?

3) The salt dips won't negatively affect his eye blister? It looks larger today

4) Can I do a salt dip straight after a silver treatment? Just asking because I would like to start today but it is evening here. I don't want to stress him out.

Apologies for all the clarifying questions, it puts my mind at ease that I've understood correctly

To the best of my knowledge, yes to all.  With a fish that has had as many problems as Googles, we can't be sure of how he will respond, but we can back out of anything.  If Koko disagrees with anything, we can talk it over.

Thanks Sharon.

I have just been looking for evidence of when I last treated for flukes, and the last time I have recorded any mention of it was 2 years ago :yikes. I'm not 100% that this was the last time but it is a possibility.

I am about to do his first salt dip and have spotted that you kindly put the link up for me, thank you :)

Thank you so much Koko :)

I have just finished preparing the salt dip and the silver bath, but have just noticed I've cut my finger slightly.

So do I need to prepare both again, incase of blood contamination?

Edited by Black

He was ok in the 1% salt, but he started to breathe rapidly. I kept him in for the full 5 minutes, then moved him to his silver bath

I've just fed him, much slower to eat but he ate all his pellets.

I also added the difference in epsom, but now I'm worried I've got my maths wrong and I've added too much, or that I've somehow managed to use the wrong measuring spoon.

Maybe I'm worrying too much :idont

I put in just under 2tsps (it's a 25g tank)

It already had just over 1/2 tsp in there

I'd not do the two dips without a substantial break in between, but it seems not to have harmed him.  Since he handled 5 minutes at 1% salt with nothing more than heavy breathing, you can use 2% salt for the next dip.

Not a matter of days.  I understood you to say that you moved him from the salt dip to the silver dip which seems a little strenuous. I would give him a few hours in his tank between the dips.

• Admin

I was talking to Rick Hess he thinks it might be Carp Pox, but I told him they arent waxing at all... More like Hives... We will see what else he has to say...

How is the Goog :)

Not a matter of days.  I understood you to say that you moved him from the salt dip to the silver dip which seems a little strenuous. I would give him a few hours in his tank between the dips.

Ah, apologies- I thought you meant a substantial break between the salt dips, not between the salt and silver.

I understand :)

I was talking to Rick Hess he thinks it might be Carp Pox, but I told him they arent waxing at all... More like Hives... We will see what else he has to say...

How is the Goog :)

Thank you, Koko! What does waxing mean?

He seems ok but the blister hasn't reduced in size yet. Epsom needs to be removed on Sunday as that will be day 8

That is definitely not carp pox, which really does look like someone poured spots of wax on the fish.

Yes,   2%= 20g/liter = 60g/3liters.

You do the salt dips every other day during the first week.

• Admin

That is definitely not carp pox, which really does look like someone poured spots of wax on the fish.

Yes,   2%= 20g/liter = 60g/3liters.

You do the salt dips every other day during the first week.

I agree this is what we talked about

cleardot.gif

“I had a fish that got them too before I put her in the pond... Once in the pond they went away :o”      Now that fish can be a carrier and never show any more symptoms. OR the carp pox will return. All the fish in that pond have now been exposed to carp pox.

Carp Pox can come and go. Once they have the virus it never goes away. Treat all you want, however, you will never cure “Carp Pox”. You can reduce the symptoms but they will never be cured.  

“but the strange thing is they aren’t waxy they are just like hard blisters, they don’t pop or anything.” They come in many shapes and sizes.

Details:

http://www.aquameds.com/koi-parasites/carp-pox/

I gently rubbed the white blotches on his tail once to see if they would come off. They didn't feel hard, his tail just felt very slimey.

• Admin

I gently rubbed the white blotches on his tail once to see if they would come off. They didn't feel hard, his tail just felt very slimey.

yeah it doesnt look anything like this...

carp_pox1.jpg

So I dont think it is either :)

Have we ever done a scrap and look at it under the scope?