Sign in to follow this  
Black

Another Eye Blister

More and more love to Googs while mom is away!

Edited by LisaCGold

100% wc done.

Eye is slightly clearer but I think he might have mild dropsy.

I'm going to order some Metroplex from the U.S. and hopefully it will be here by the time I return.

I hope it won't be too late.

I don't know what else to do :(

bcfa4c26433cde3635ea312a10814541_zpsfjkl

M571718dcc61d2aafa263bb8eb6dd22e3_zpsheg2

3d457ae8e1ad10a907f599b0b5d3bac1_zpsx0qw

I would say he looks alittle better :)

I do hope so. I'm so stressed :(

His scales look more raised than before, even though the photo doesn't show it.

I'll never forgive myself if I come home to a very ill or dead fish :(

I do hope so. I'm so stressed :(

His scales look more raised than before, even though the photo doesn't show it.

I'll never forgive myself if I come home to a very ill or dead fish :(

:grouphug

I won't know until I get back :( Our house sitter wouldn't know what to look for and the tank light is off

Fingers crossed for only good things!

Thank you everyone :hug

I have returned from my trip. My little fighter is still with us :heart

I got back at 3am this morning, wiped down the glass and fed him some peas.

No sign of dropsy and his eye lens looks a little clearer

But... the eye has definitely grown/is swollen in size compared to the other eye (like it has done before) with a blister on top of the orb (in the same place as before)

I have been in bed today recovering from lack of sleep, asthma and bad allergies, but tomorrow I plan on a big WC and epsom treatment.

I will post pics and investigate underneath is tail as usual. Metroplex is on its way from the USA (should arrive by 25th Jan)

I will now treat him with some bloodworms. He's such a good boy

I was late for his WC from being unwell, but the water quality wasn't too terrible this morning (nitrates 30)

Today I did a 70% WC and added epsom.

The Metroplex came this morning so that's good to have in the cupboard.

Tail:

9adbef13705ceb100b54c3076cd6489b_zpse3rv

Lots of white, but not much red so that's a good thing

Eye:

6e5f33b9520f05416a6d3be93d6ed398_zpstgeq

Much clearer :)

Blister:

b11ffce08aa324133574c2028d45c96d_zpsrdf1

Thus is what I've added the epsom fir. Hopefully it will heal like it has twice before. Fins crossed.

Should I start a round of silver again?

Yeah lets do the silver again hun.... I like that there isnt any red... thats a good thing :)

Once a day? How many drops do you think?

Once a day? How many drops do you think?

Once a day the normal drops hun :)

It started at 13 drops and changed to 18 drops for quite a while

Thanks Koko :)

Also, I've been contemplating what Sharon said a little while ago on another thread (in regards to a sinker) about sand.

"If you use fine sand -- like play sand -- it will treat her tummy more gently than a bare bottom. If you use the fancy sand that is like fine gravel, barebottom is gentler"

Do you think fine sand would be a bad idea for Googles' individual case? I'm wondering if it would stop him from being able to scoot around and whether he would ingest too much?

Thought I would mention it in case it was worth a try. All opinions welcome :)

Also, I've been contemplating what Sharon said a little while ago on another thread (in regards to a sinker) about sand.

"If you use fine sand -- like play sand -- it will treat her tummy more gently than a bare bottom. If you use the fancy sand that is like fine gravel, barebottom is gentler"

Do you think fine sand would be a bad idea for Googles' individual case? I'm wondering if it would stop him from being able to scoot around and whether he would ingest too much?

Thought I would mention it in case it was worth a try. All opinions welcome :)

I would go with the 18 drops.... As for sand I would try a small amount in the tank see how he does with it... If hes good we can creep up the sand in there :)

What brand/type do you recommend?

Just in one corner or an ultra thin layer through out?

I have no experience with sand so this is completely new to me!

What brand/type do you recommend?

Just in one corner or an ultra thin layer through out?

I have no experience with sand so this is completely new to me!

Some pple like TMS me I decided this time in my Guppy tank to use Petsmarts natural Geographic one.... I kinda like it :)

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/gravel-sand/national-geographic-trade-aquarium-sand-zid36-21320/cat-36-catid-300072

I would do it in a corner first let it kinda spread out :) See how he likes it first :)

By using fine sand, rather than bare bottom, you decrease the amount of biofilm in contact with the bottom of the fish.  Sand also provides a bit of cushioning.  A quarter inch of sand will work fine.  I like Koko's idea of just putting it on one end of the tank to give Googles a choice.  In a natural pond/lake, goldfish always swallow some sand, which functions like fiber in keeping the gut moving.

I've used sand sold for children's sandboxes -- very cheap and fine.   

When did you last treat googles for flukes?  Skin infections rarely occur unless the slime coat and skin has broken, and this most often results from fluke infections.  The patches of thickened slime coat on the tail also suggest a reaction to flukes. 

Sorry for not reading the entire thread, but have you done any salt dips?

I think I read in one of your posts that Googles seemed bothered by water changes.  That suggests it might be a good idea to do smaller, more frequent water changes.

Thank you for your input Sharon. Don't worry, this thread is getting rather long!

I think I treated for flukes with a maintenance dose a year ago, more or less (I will check this). I was going to do it again recently but with all the Silver and Melafix treatments I postponed it.

I have not done any salt dips in a long time because he has been through a number of seperate dropsy episodes in the past and I was told salt was a thing to be wary of because of this.

I assumed his thickened slime coat and sores were because of his constant contact with the tank floor. He is never suspended in water and so I thought it was like when people can get bed sores from constant contact on the skin.

I can't remember writing that he was ever bothered by water changes. I did have a pearl danio that would act very oddly after every water change, even though I always matched pH and temp.

For the fluke treatment, I have some PraziPro. Would this be ok to use with epsom salt I currently have in the tank and in combination with his daily silver baths?

Also, would I do a full treatment plan, or just a maintenance dose?